Forum

Why don't you guys ever play up north

17 years 3 months ago #3171 by Buc

If it's cold weather you want, Georgia often schedules cold-weather games. We have games against Colorado and Boise State scheduled soon(in the next five years). One of our most famous games was a win against Michigan(guys? help me out on the year...was it '65 or '66?) in the Big House.

The reason all bowl games are down south is because who wants to play football in Columbus in January?

dapolla, the year was 1965, Saturday, October 2, 1965, Ann Arbor, Michigan. During the pregame warmups, some of the Michigan players were commenting on the size of the "blackeye pea, cornbread eating Southern boys." Thought they were too small to be on the field with the big, bad boys from that school. End of story, UGA 15, Mighty Michigan 7. Georgia was rated 10th in the nation at that point. Guess the big 10+1 found out again this year that "speed kills" regardless of size. Big 10+1 gets way too much press coverage for the lower grade football those schools are displaying. Quite frankly, would love to see Michigan strap on four or five schools from the SEC, or play a full SEC schedule, taking bets on the results. GO DOGS!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 years 3 months ago #3172 by kentdaddy
Replied by kentdaddy on topic Re: Why don't you guys ever play up north
OSU is 0-8 in bowls against the SEC. The big 10+1 is a great conference. Have Michigan join a conference that plays somewhere people might actually want to go and then we will talk. Who wants to go to michigan other than to see that cool bridge going to the UP?

More
17 years 3 months ago #3173 by kentdaddy
UM is 6-3 vs the SEC in bowls which is very commendable. I will have more info soon.

Here are the others vs the SEC in bowls
Wins Losses
WISCONSIN 0 5
PURDUE 1 2
PENN STATE 7 5
OHIO STATE 0 7
NORTHWESTERN 0 1
MINNESOTA 2 1
MICHIGAN STATE 1 3
MICHIGAN 6 3
IOWA 3 1
INDIANA 1 2
ILLINOIS 0 3

These numbers do not include this year where the Big 10+1 squeaked out a 2-1 record with wins against Tennessee and Arkansas and the big whoopin by Florida.

The Penn State stat is misleading because most of those bowl games were from when PSU was an independent.

More
17 years 3 months ago #3174 by UnderDog37
Replied by UnderDog37 on topic Re: Why don't you guys ever play up north
OSU is 0-8 against the SEC in BOWL games, not all time, which was a statement that was thrown out there ad nauseum by the Fox broadcasting team during the game the other night. Dont be bitter because your boys got clipped by a USC team whose most significant game was a loss to 7-6 UCLA. As for having to go down south to play, well, I dont think the Rose Bowl qualifies as a "down south" venue, and neither does Arizona, where OSU played. For that matter, what about the SEC team having to travel 1500 miles to play in that title game? As kentdaddy sed, bowl games are put on by promoters that select cities THEY think will sell. Promoters have no interest in trying to sell a bowl game in Michigan in January to a team from the South like UF when the UF fans will not go there to freeze their a**es off. Furthermore, we at UGA dont have time to be going to a non conference opponent's backyard whenever we are in a fight to just win our OWN conference due to the depth of competition in the SEC. We have 9 SEC games and 3 non conference opponents, one of which is our traditional rival, Georgia Tech. You guys are in the same boat. Now, as for that win over Michigan, it was in 65, in your back yard, and we didnt have a good season that year, either...I think we were only 5-5. Now, put THAT in your pipe and smoke it.....I also dont remember the last time we even LOST to a Big-10 team. Beat OSU in 1992 bowl, beat Perdue in 1998 bowl and in 2004 bowl, beat Wisconsin in 1997 bowl...and Michigan in 65 regular season game.....

• UnderDog37
  • Visitor
17 years 3 months ago #3176 by kentdaddy
Can I get a witness!!!!!!

The right reverend Underdog has brought the truth to the unwashed masses. The SEC and Big 10+1 usually only meet in bowls so using bowl records is valid. A regular season meeting is rare because of conference play.

More
17 years 3 months ago #3177 by kentdaddy
I think we scared him off with facts and logic. Maybe he went to do some research and realized we were right and decided not to come back out.

More
Time to create page: 0.031 seconds