Forum

Why don't you guys ever play up north

17 years 3 months ago #3162 by 462
I find it very annoying that SEC teams, Georgia in particular, refuses to play any games in cold weather. Football was made to be played in the cold, and Georgia hasn't played up north since 1964. I know that the SEC wouldn't fare as well against northern teams playing in cold weather as they do playing every matchup down south. Are you guys scared or something? Why the double standard?

We play all our bowl games in the south, so you should at least let us play a home and home against you southern boys from time to time.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
17 years 3 months ago #3164 by dapolla
Replied by dapolla on topic Re: Why don't you guys ever play up north
If it's cold weather you want, Georgia often schedules cold-weather games. We have games against Colorado and Boise State scheduled soon(in the next five years). One of our most famous games was a win against Michigan(guys? help me out on the year...was it '65 or '66?) in the Big House.

The reason all bowl games are down south is because who wants to play football in Columbus in January?

Red and Black, Win or Lose

More
17 years 3 months ago #3165 by kentdaddy
Replied by kentdaddy on topic Re: Why don't you guys ever play up north
I will take this question fellas...

Do you live in a bubble? It gets cold as hell in kentucky in the late fall. Why would we go up north to play when there is no competition up there? What benefit would it be to go to say.......syracuse and play a glorified JV team when we can play a tough team in our conference. Also, as a new football fan you may not know this...no one really plays out of conference late in the season unless it is a traditional rivalry ala Ga/Ga. Tech, UF/FSU, ND/USC etc. The late season is full of traditional rivalries. If you want to know how "northern" teams do against the SEC just call Jim Tressel.

OSU is 0-8 now against the SEC and the big ten has a losing bowl record against the SEC. I have to assume you are a big ten+1 fan because ACC guys bailed out for basketball months ago and big east people know their place.

Bowls game are put on by cities not teams. Cities want to sell tickets. No one wants to go to Cleveland on january 1st for a game. Most bowl games are in destination cities people will actually pay money to go to. The few that are not i.e. the one in Boise and the one in Shreveport usually select a local team to sell the seats.

If you have anymore questions about college football we are happy to help with your education.

More
17 years 3 months ago #3168 by 462
one of your most famous win was against a 4-6 Michigan team 40 years ago?
That's a joke. What else is a joke is considering playing Colorado in September a cold weather game. As for your last point...who wants to play in cold weather for bowl games? EVERY BIG TEN TEAM does. The SEC teams need to come up to Ann Arbor in November and play a game. It would be a rude awakening.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
17 years 3 months ago #3169 by 462
No Competition up north? The Big Ten is a power conference period. Michigan is 14-5-2 against the SEC all time. I'm not a Big Ten fan, I'm a Michigan fan. I'm sick of playing the SEC ONLY in Florida cities. Michigan deserves a shot at one of these "fast" SEC teams less than 1,500 miles away from home.

Here's a little knowledge for you: teams REGULARLY play out of conference games late in the season, and the trend is becoming more and more common. The tradition of playing non conference at the beginning only is becoming less and less standardized.

Some more education for you...OSU is NOT 0-8 vs. the SEC, look it up and get your facts straight...they don't have a winning record but it certainly isn't 0-8.

Finally, I never complained about the bowl games, I simply feel that northern schools deserve some respect for having to play most of their bowl games in their opponent's backyards. That gratitude could be paid with a trip up north once in a while.

I will take this question fellas...

Do you live in a bubble? It gets cold as hell in kentucky in the late fall. Why would we go up north to play when there is no competition up there? What benefit would it be to go to say.......syracuse and play a glorified JV team when we can play a tough team in our conference. Also, as a new football fan you may not know this...no one really plays out of conference late in the season unless it is a traditional rivalry ala Ga/Ga. Tech, UF/FSU, ND/USC etc. The late season is full of traditional rivalries. If you want to know how "northern" teams do against the SEC just call Jim Tressel.

OSU is 0-8 now against the SEC and the big ten has a losing bowl record against the SEC. I have to assume you are a big ten+1 fan because ACC guys bailed out for basketball months ago and big east people know their place.

Bowls game are put on by cities not teams. Cities want to sell tickets. No one wants to go to Cleveland on january 1st for a game. Most bowl games are in destination cities people will actually pay money to go to. The few that are not i.e. the one in Boise and the one in Shreveport usually select a local team to sell the seats.

If you have anymore questions about college football we are happy to help with your education.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
17 years 3 months ago #3170 by kentdaddy
Replied by kentdaddy on topic Re: Why don't you guys ever play up north
PUHHHHLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Of course the big ten plays in cold weather. That is where the schools are located! It really isn't rocket science. I just looked at every UM schedule from 1973 to now and all their Nov. games are either Big 10+1 conference games or MAC fluff. Playing at UM is not intimidating. I heard and interview from a former Big 10+1 player and he said it was actually pleasant to play in the big house because they stadium is so big the crowds are not right on top of you and are no real factor. The same interview guy said the Iowa and Wisconsin were the hardest places up there to play because they were right on top of the field.

Hey! I think USC just scored again.

Conference schedules are tight at the end of the season. I am all for traveling up north for easy wins though.

PS Why are all the people from Big 10+1 country moving to the south east? Because they cannot stand the cold. Don't believe me? Look at the census. Michigan is losing people. Detroit is the biggest loser. The real population growth is in the south because people realized they do not have to accept cold weather, fat ugly pale women and bad football.

More
Time to create page: 0.047 seconds