Forum

RECRUITING

8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #72755 by SouthernDawg
Replied by SouthernDawg on topic RECRUITING
Wanted to comment but have been tied up all day.

As per usual, AJC's writers are saying how CKS did no better than the former coach would have done. Already implying that Sam Pittman's recruiting skills don't match his salary. I'm about sick of them.

If you ask me, Kirby did one hell of a job for having been on the job full time less than one month and juggling two jobs in that time period to nail down the recruiting class he did. It was a pipe dream that he'd get every recruit he was working on. Derek Brown can go to Auburn. Fine by me. I've said over and again that I want players here who want to play for Georgia, not for CMR or to be fair, CKS. The school is bigger than a personality. I knew as soon as Ben Davis committed to Bama, Wilson was following. That was a given. No surprise, no disappointment. They were a package deal. Best to em'.

How about, Lord forbid, the AJC actually focus on some of the surprises today? How about the Tyler Simmons flip? Am I the only one excited about Solomon Kindley? That's a Pittman O-lineman right there boys. How about Michail Carter flipping from Bama? Sure, it's easy to write a fluff piece about how nice it is to get Hardman, but it seems even easier for the AJC to continually piss and moan about the bible camp having been relocated to Coral Gables. I'm sorry, but I am absolutely sick and tired of these continual AJC sour grapes. Title of story today on AJC: "Smart's First Class Looks a Lot Like Richt One." No, it doesn't. It looks like his and a whole lot more, nice try though.

For those out there saying the O-Line recruiting was deficient, yes, the O-Line was weak but lets talk about why the results today were what they were. Mark Richt couldn't have given a rat's ass about linemen, as is evidenced by our abysmal line performance over the years. But he loved those sexy skill positions - oh yes. We never had a deficiency in flashy skill players. We also never had a deficiency in under performing in games when it mattered either. But, we sure had those flashy players didn't we? Kirby, nor Sam, have had more than 8 weeks to work on recruiting. They haven't built relationships with recruits like they will from here on out. They came in to a situation where it was all hands on deck to stop the leaking in the ship, and frankly, I think the entire coaching staff did tremendous work with the hand they were dealt with this 2016 recruiting class. Wait until 2017 and see what the O-Line recruiting looks like.

Like wartdawg said, not bad for a school and half its fanbase cowering in fear over losing the show if CMR was sent packing.

Recruiting was just fine. Job well done.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #72756 by SimpleDawg
Replied by SimpleDawg on topic RECRUITING
From this point forward, the evaluation of prospective players will be more accurate....hopefully there will be fewer misses, and we'll be recruiting the right people.

Plus, the emphasis will be on the most important positions first. I've always thought that the closer a player is to the ball at the snap, the more important it is to have quality talent there. It sounds like Kirby thinks so too. OL, DL, MLB, QB.....you better be strong here. The rest is window dressing if you're not.

More
8 years 2 months ago #72757 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic RECRUITING
Retired last evening before these latest posts were entered.

Really good reads, much of what I was going to comment on this morning has been said and said well.

There have been a couple of reads in the AJC about Mark Richt is gone, Georgia needs to move on.

Really? Have not read the article that SouthernDawg refers to but will when I wrap this up.

Bet they did not mention that Mark Richt's first shot at the polls ended with him being rated #19 in the Country. Not sure but it is gospel I suppose that Georgia is a top ten finisher.

Doubt not my friends that Buc is watching the "U" closely. Have some more to say, later on.

Much is always said about the players, rightly so if that is all college football is about. Most of us know that is not the case, not when a program is "secure".

All we have to do is look back at the names of those that were hired by the previous head coach and see just exactly what he accomplished with the hires.

Will say more about this at some point . . . . First move by Kirby Smart was to make sure he hired coaches that understand what is needed to participate in the SEC, not only the defensive side. Coach Smart (again, love saying Coach Smart) went to the area of major concern and that was the offensive side of the ball. More to the point, the offensive line. Will have more to say on this for sure.

The "dip spits" that work for Cox are playing the middle of the road game, and it is a journalism game. Lower end of journalism, but effective when trying to pick that check up at the end of the work week. Many that work there have worked at other places and much of their work can be termed as "more of the same". Spending some time on background work, a hobby of mine, there are some that are employed in Atlanta that could care less about one side or the other when it comes to "clicks". Clicks continues to be raised in conversation, simple fact, it is their lifeline.

Good read guys, "I shall return". Hope to hear more from those on this board that have opinions on the "COLLEGE DRAFT", yes it is basically a DRAFT. College football is a business, and unless I miss my guess, some out there seem to treat the business as an "under the table" venture.

Time for me to read the article referred to above.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 2 months ago #72758 by Buc
“It’s always hard to say at this point. You’d like to get a few more, add a few more. We’re not in desperation mode by any means. I’m not in a hurry, I’m not in panic mode. I’m completely comfortable if we end up anywhere from 18, 19, 20, 21 – anywhere in there, I’m good with that. We’re not going to rush off and make any reaches. I think it’s important in your first year to have those.To have those spots available for next year when you get a full recruiting cycle – I’ve talked to a lot of guys that have been in a similar situation I’ve been in. A mistake they made was to try to fill holes, fill spots, and when you do that you hurt next year’s signing class, which I anticipate being one of our better ones because it’s our first full recruiting cycle.”

Coach Smart mentioned the above to fans and reporters alike.

First thought after reading what Coach Smart said was . . . .

Anyone remember how the previous head coach went about recruiting? I do. The only number the previous head coach understood was the 4 million dollar number. Recruiting numbers, he was plain and simply terrible. Never fully understood the overall "team" concept. FACT.

Coach Smart is bringing a totally new concept to Athens . . . . LEADERSHIP.

There will be more. Cub reporter in Athens since 2010, appears he is another of those that likes to ride the fence.
The following user(s) said Thank You: averagedawg, yankeedawg1

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 2 months ago #72759 by Buc
“I would definitely say that getting bigger is a goal of ours. We want to get bigger up front on both sides of the ball. I would say we’ve most certainly addressed that on the defensive line. I think when you go to the offensive line, it’s not exactly what we want. We want some offensive tackles. If you say what’s the number one need going into 2017? It’s offensive tackles is what we need. That’s the most deficient area on our front. I think if you combed the country and asked every SEC coach he’s going to say we’re most deficient at offensive tackle. It’s the rarest find. You want a 6-5, 6-6 kid. They don’t grow on trees. Those guys are just difference makers. You’ve got to try to target them early and a lot of those relationships are already established. They’re being established now with 2017s and 2018s. When you come in, that’s one of the toughest positions to recover at and that’s one of the toughest positions to have that one-on-one relationship that your o-line and your head coach want to have with players. That’s probably the area I’d say if we’re most disappointed in it’s on the offensive line. We’ve got to improve the offensive line. I’m very pleased with where we are on the defensive line. We’ve got some good young players and we’re trying to continue that. A lot of times if you can just recruit size and good football players you leave yourself open to other areas on the offensive line.”

Simple question . . . . How long have members on this board beat on the subject of the offensive line? If my memory serves me correctly, goes back YEARS.

Coach Smart comes to Athens and what does he have to say about our greatest need? Folks on Dawgs.com have beat the drum about the previous head coach not recognizing a critical area of the football team. Kirby Smart knows what needs to be "worked on", he has lined up against the previous head coach and his lack of understanding the "offensive front".

So much more. Love it when the Cub reporters step in it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: averagedawg, yankeedawg1

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 2 months ago #72760 by sadlerdawg
Replied by sadlerdawg on topic RECRUITING
Fingers crossed that maybe we've got one more coming...

georgia.247sports.com/Bolt/Georgia-quart...ore-in-2016-43473475

The SMART era CONTINUES!!!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds