Forum

Monday - Adjustment Time in the Classic City

8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #71180 by Buc
Much has and will be said about Kirby Smart in "some" period of time when it comes to job selection.

Kirby Smart listened to someone who many call the best college football coach in the country, Nick Saban. What Kirby heard was there are going to be more and better offers than the one(s) you have received thus far. According to Saban there have been offers.

When I look at successful people, I realize that there is a reason for that, especially after going through life and playing on both sides of the fence. Found out through life's trials and errors that closing the mouth and opening the ears paid great dividends.

There can be no doubt that Kirby Smart talk will come down to this . . . . If he is hired by those in charge, and I believe there is more than one in charge of this task. Reason . . . . Half of the fan base does not like the decision to fire Mark Richt. The other half of the fan base wanted change and are getting same. If Smart takes the South Carolina job or some other, not selecting Georgia or the right offer not being made, many in the fan base will be for lack of a better word, pissed. If he selects Georgia it will take some time for part of the fan base to "accept" Kirby Smart. The often referred to "Love/Hate Relationship(s)".

What I particularly like about Kirby Smart is his thought and action process. Been with Nick Saban for 9 years. Has coached with some very good coaches, one of which is listed in the article below. Kirby Smart's time to leave the "nest" and a very comfortable "nest" it has been and decide which iron to pull out of the bag.

Kirby Smart is ready to be a D1 head coach, school is out, he is about to graduate with honors from the Nick Saban School of Football.

Going to be a lot to chat about in the near future. Like after the Alabama football team has finished its business. Feel that is one reason that those in charge of hiring a head coach are not talking. Lots of details to work out.

www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/201...irby_smart_will.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlayton, averagedawg

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #71182 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Adjustment Time in the Classic City
It became apparent that the gator game in JAX was the go/no go on Mark Richt.

Jim McElwain chosen to move the gators forward.

Muschamp had been given a shot and it became clear that he is not a head coach, he is a very good defensive coordinator. Muschamp might end up being the highest paid defensive coordinator in college football. Takes time to put together the pieces of a very large puzzle.

While Muschamp had some time under Nick Saban, he did not have the “overall quality time” that Kirby Smart had in Tuscaloosa. Muschamp spent some time in Texas under Mack Brown, that is far different that time under Nick Saban.

Folks this is my deepest feeling about the “possibility” of hiring Kirby Smart.

Kirby has been around organized football from the time he crawled out of the cradle. Time in grade is good. Lots of years with his Dad, a football coach, high school player, college player and assistant at UGA and Alabama. Sounds like a “lifetime” of football surrounding Kirby Smart.

As far as the administrative duties, that as Nick Saban has said about Kirby, no problem.

McGarity should remember his words to Mark Richt . . . . coach football, I and my group will take care of the “outside” need to run the business. Mark Richt listened to what McGarity had to say, problem was, unable to implement what was actually very good advice.

Again, Richt had become comfortable doing things his way. What he failed to realize was there are folks that have been closely attached to UGA football a lot longer than himself. Mahogany Row read and heard from the big donors and those that blog the need for a different way of managing a team that continued to fall into the lower areas of SEC football.

Bet this . . . . Kirby Smart will do everything asked of him until the 2015 Season is finalized. At this point, Kirby Smart knows the path he will take. There is not a doubt that he is incredibly strong in the State of Georgia. That is a “no brainer” as most of us know.

Money will not be the issue. McGarity learned that lesson the “hard way”.

From where I sit. Like the idea of Athens becoming Tuscaloosa East. Called preparation and Kirby Smart learned from the “best”.

Kirby Smart understands the need to recruit those that put their hands in the dirt. He has watched that process under Nick Saban produce championships. Again, seems Mark Richt never fully understood the need for serious line play. Mark Richt's background was not in understanding offensive and defensive linemen . . . . year after year.

I also believe that “if” Kirby Smart is hired, most of the coaches in Athens would remain, both by choice and selection. There will always be those that move elsewhere. One of my big concerns right now is Bryan McClendon. Folks, Bmac is incredibly strong in South Florida. Believe that, it is the truth.

Just chirping, there will be a lot said before the tobacco is strung and put in the barn to dry.

Go Dawgs Coach'em Up!!

Edit: www.saturdaydownsouth.com/georgia-footba...nator-jeremy-pruitt/
The following user(s) said Thank You: averagedawg, DAWGtm, dawgs_fans_dad

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 4 months ago #71186 by Buc
Not reading a lot about Jacob Eason.

Jacob Eason has been the bread winner for the AJC for some time now.

I believe that Mark Richt's visit with the Eason family was probably letting them know that some changes were on the way in Athens, Georgia.

Will be interesting to see who Kirby Smart names offensive coordinator when the deal is finalized.

Feel strongly from what I can gather that several pieces of the puzzle were in place after the Alabama loss, not the Florida loss. Won't mention Tennessee, not now anyway.

Thread running on Dawgs.com before Mark Richt being "relieved" mentioned Richt taking a spot within the Georgia Group other than being the head coach. That would not be a bad thing. Just needed a change on the coaching staff. It happened.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, averagedawg, DAWGtm, growl, dawgs_fans_dad

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 4 months ago #71188 by averagedawg
Replied by averagedawg on topic Adjustment Time in the Classic City
I don't expect any word about Smart until after the SEC championship game.
And I think he will devote his attention to beating Florida.
That is how it should be.

Pruett has 100% support from the defense.
The only highlight of the season has been the defense.

The Eason dog and pony show was Richt's last hurrah, an anemic attempt to get his job back.
The writing was already on the wall.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #71189 by Buc

averagedawg wrote: I don't expect any word about Smart until after the SEC championship game.
And I think he will devote his attention to beating Florida.
That is how it should be.

Pruett has 100% support from the defense.
The only highlight of the season has been the defense.

The Eason dog and pony show was Richt's last hurrah, an anemic attempt to get his job back.
The writing was already on the wall.

averagedawg, as you probably know more about Kirby Smart than most of us on Dawgs.com, it can be said that he is "also" an honorable man. Nothing lost in that department.

The proper time for any movement for Kirby was after the SEC Championship Game in Atlanta. There are no doubts that some arrangements have already been made. LOI day soon approaches and it is important for many of the recruits to have an appointed head coach in place.

This old fart is not going to be at all surprised to see Nick Saban return to the NFL. Know that he has close ties with the Cleveland Brown organization. Nick Saban really wants this National Championship real bad. Would not be surprised to see the game come down between Alabama and Ohio State. Can only imagine the amount of advertising capital that would generate . . . . Saban/meyer.

I do know that college football is a "business". Watching closely what the "select committee" does after this weeks games.

With Kirby Smart as head coach, it will be possible for folks like us to think in higher terms than winning the SEC East. Still bothers me, trying hard not to be ugly.

EDIT: Quote from Quayvon Hicks, spot on, it is a business.

“Still be here,” Hicks said. “I encourage every recruit not to let this discourage your decision. The program is always gonna be great. I know it’s a big thing especially when you build a relationship with a head coach. Especially Jacob Eason. That kid should keep his head on straight. Enjoy the process. But if you want to make a difference come here and win some ballgames. That’s what you do. That’s what the business is about. When money is involved, it is what it is, that’s how it goes.”
The following user(s) said Thank You: averagedawg

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 4 months ago #71191 by Buc

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More