Forum

Board Thoughts on G-Day Game Talent

9 years 3 weeks ago #67136 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Board Thoughts on G-Day Game Talent
yd1, many times it has been said that the fruit does not fall far from the tree.

Don't intend for this to be "ugly", trying to make a point.

Mark Richt was practically "raised" by Bobby Bowden as a college football coach. BB was and is a good human being. His coaching style is being carried on by his student, Mark Richt. I see so many of the same traits, in the same situations that I observed back in the day in Tallahassee. I don't stand alone with those thoughts, have said on this board a few times that I have many FSU friends. Folks that are "deeply involved" in FSU football, pocket wise and otherwise.

Jeremy Pruitt got a triple dose in my opinion. He was taught by his Dad, high school coach and Nick Saban. Beginning to see many of the traits that Pruitt picked up under Saban.

Jimbo Fisher served time under Nick Saban, not a doubt in my mind that paid off when Fisher replaced Bowden.

Pruitt was chosen by Jimbo Fisher to become his defensive coordinator. ogredawg has said that Pruitt had a very good football group passed along to him. ogredawg is right. I would also point to the fact that regardless of who recruited the players, the end result was that Pruitt did not fall short in his efforts of coaching those that were in place. National Championship resulted and two of the leaders of the FSU football team had some schooling under Nick Saban.

Bobby Bowden never dodged a press conference. Mark Richt seems to be the same.

Nick Saban would much rather be involved in other things, press conferences do not appeal to him. Jeremy Pruitt seems to be cut from the same cloth.

Mark Richt is entering his 15th year at the helm in Athens. Jeremy Pruitt is now into round two. Will be interesting from 2015 forward watching these two coaches and how Georgia plays on Saturdays. Very interesting from where I sit.

Go Dawgs, Coach'em Up!
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1, dawgs_fans_dad

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #67137 by growl
Replied by growl on topic Board Thoughts on G-Day Game Talent
At the VA today for checkup, gives me time to get thoughts together.

I can see that the OL has made great strides in the last couple of years, don't let up now!

Somebody has paid attention to the DL needs, as well as getting some much needed help in the defensive backfield. Things we've been squawking about maybe didn't fall on deaf ears.

Depth building seems to be a priority!

Strength and conditioning, I still have concerns in that area!

Special teams! How many more times does this need to be mentioned before it is addressed?

The sun shines on a different Dawg every day
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1, dawgs_fans_dad

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #67138 by dawgs_fans_dad
Replied by dawgs_fans_dad on topic Board Thoughts on G-Day Game Talent
"Special teams! How many more times does this need to be mentioned before it is addressed?"

If it doesn't get addressed after essentially costing the 'dawgs the GT game, it may never.

Interestingly, GT pooched in the Orange Bowl and it didn't work very well for them either.

With the defense I am anticipating in Athens in '15-'16, kick the ball out of the end zone and dare the other guy to go 80 yards.
Or 50 if they need a field goal.

Hopefully the defense and offense are good enough to make special teams less impactful.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, DAWGtm, growl

More
9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #67139 by Buc
growl went back a couple of times and read your post #26.

You posted . . . .

Somebody has paid attention to the DL needs, as well as getting some much needed help in the defensive backfield. Things we've been squawking about maybe didn't fall on deaf ears.

Depth building seems to be a priority!

Allow me this. Nick Saban coached under Bill Belichick in Cleveland. Saban learned a lot from Belichick, especially the "building depth" part of the game. Anyone that pays attention to what Belichick has done since becoming the New England Patriots head coach, easy to see that he always finds a way to trade a player and pick up draft choices. Trades a player before his career is over, but toward the end and it usually allows Belichick a second, third or fourth round pick, or two. That is the difference between Belichick and "most" of the other NFL head coaches.

Nick Saban got ahead in the SEC coaching game when arriving in Tuscaloosa. Always looking further out than most coaches. Always preparing for next season or the season after.

Watching closely the changes in Athens with the arrivals from the State of Alabama. growl believe we are seeing the same plan being introduced to the Red and Black.

Seems to me prior to the arrival of Pruitt and Company, our coaching staff spent some "selfish hours" trying to improve their side of the ball, not thinking about a year or two down the road. Improving their stock, looks good on their resumes, makes for empty holes in a very short time.

Maybe Rob Sales will apply the same method on the offensive side of the ball. We were past due for coaching of this caliber. Some of us don't have another 15 or so years to get lost in the bushes.

Good post growl, glad to see more "real" football preparation being shared between many of us.

When was the last time anyone saw Belichick smile? He is all about football, hook or crook.

Hope the VA visit went well. :)

The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1, growl

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 3 weeks ago #67140 by dawgs_fans_dad
Replied by dawgs_fans_dad on topic Board Thoughts on G-Day Game Talent
Spot on about Belichick. I heard someone talking about the last 5 (I think) drafts. Over those years the Falcons had 21 picks in the first 3 rounds. The Patriots had 31.

Building Depth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #67141 by Buc
dawgs_fans_dad, the Atlanta Falcons hired one of Belichick's folks, trying to do something "different". Thomas Dimitroff.

Atlanta Falcons did the same thing with the hiring of Rich McKay. My opinion of McKay, not much. See where McKay has been removed from his NFL position.

Beginning to think that Arthur has finally seen the light, have said the same about our head coach in Athens. The hire Blank made, bringing Dan Quinn in to run the Falcons is the best move "ever" by Blank.

Arthur Blank not unlike Mark Richt, needs to get out of the way, or recognize that "many" of his decisions have been "stoopid". Yes, I said that.

Rich McKay found his way into the NFL because his Dad was the head coach at Tampa Bay. Rich McKay was a POS in Tampa. Those that would like to "discuss" that point . . . . bet this . . . . I was once upon a time, from the beginning of the franchise a Falcon supporter. Always have liked the colors . . . . Red and Black.

Poorly managed franchise, much like most or many of the last 15 years in Athens.

Dan Quinn has his work cut out trying to improve the Falcon's lot. He is a kick ass, take names football coach. Won't turn the team around in one year . . . . same can be said for Pruitt, takes time and . . . . Leadership.

profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/30...mpetition-committee/

Last paragraph in the article above . . . .

Regardless, McKay’s boss seems to be fully inclined to keep McKay around, even though McKay was deemed to be sufficiently responsible for the situation to lose at least temporarily his spot on the league’s most influential committee.
The following user(s) said Thank You: growl

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds