Forum

Contract Talk for Mark Richt

9 years 6 months ago #63174 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Contract Talk for Mark Richt
Want to see the difference between a top notch SEC coach and someone that is at best middle or high middle of SEC Football coaching? If you watched the video in this thread coming from Paul "Bear" Bryant and the video below featuring Nick Saban, is there any doubt in your mind about the difference in what is going on from the coaching aspect. Take that a step further. McGarity and the "Group" raising prices and M&M just filled their/our pockets with coin.

Allow me this . . . . I hope that some on this board understand that college football means more to Alabama than Georgia. Don't buy that . . . . check the "trophy room".

Comes a time when we need to understand and cut through the BS. I am ready . . . . this time . . . . what about you. I want more than what I have seen in 13 years. Wartdawg has said it often and best.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #63175 by dawgs_fans_dad
Replied by dawgs_fans_dad on topic Contract Talk for Mark Richt

TN Dawg wrote:

dawgs_fans_dad wrote: If they win the East-Yes

If they don't win the East-No[/quote

I'll go a step further, If you are talking about after 2017, you better throw a few SEC Championships in there before we arrive at 2017.

Totally agree. At least 1.

Buc's "story problem" said at the end of this year. If the 'dawgs don't win the East and this was his last year, I probably would think about a change. Not sure to what, but still, division championship should be table stakes @ UGA.

Full disclosure-When my son was about 10 we were at a UGA Basketball game on a Sunday and CMR came in and sat about 4-5 rows in front of us. About 1/2 way through the second half I could see him stirring and I told my son that if he wanted an autograph he should go catch him before he got outside. My son caught him out in the lobby and got his UGA hat autographed. It still has a prominent place in his room. Said he was super nice to him.

Of course, we all know he's a nice guy. :D

And FWIW, when I was at IU Bob Knight's (closer to Saban than Richt, I think we'd all agree) stated goal at the beginning of each year was to win the Big Ten. He never mentioned NC's because he knew how much had to go right to win it all and winning the Big Ten in basketball back then was like winning the SEC in football is now. Didn't mean you were in a class of your own, but it didn't take long to call roll :silly:

More
9 years 6 months ago #63179 by Buc
dawgs_fans_dad, little late, fixing to have a serious fish dinner. Your post has my attention, if I don't respond tonight, will tomorrow for sure. Say again, like the fact that you are one of the Brothers, Buc feels that way. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: dawgs_fans_dad

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 6 months ago #63182 by dawgs_fans_dad
Replied by dawgs_fans_dad on topic Contract Talk for Mark Richt
The other thing about CMR that I always think about is the old Bum Philips quote about Don Shula: "He can take his players and beat yours and then take your players and beat his."

Can't say that I have seen evidence of that. 90% of the time Georgia has "more talent" than their opponent.

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #63183 by Buc
dawg_fans_dad, as wild as Bob Knight was, sometimes carried it too far, grabbing players and throwing chairs, back in the day he was not the only one.

Same can be said for the way football is played now versus many years ago. Feel sure that many have watched the movie featuring the lifestyle of Bear Bryant when he was the coach at TAM. Below is a portion of an interview with Gene Stallings.

My problem with the way our team has been coached is in my opinion the lack of tenacity and togetherness that I witnessed under Erk. While I do know that Mark Richt is a good man, that does not always win the championships that we "feel" have evaded us because of what I call . . . . "follow the leader mentality". Unless I am totally wrong and others seem to see the same characteristics, it appears to me that our "under belly" is a bit soft.

Going back a few steps, the Bob Knights, the Bear Bryants, the Nick Sabans cared deeply for their players, difference being, when you walked on the court or the football field there was never any doubt as to whether or not you had been coached to the "limit". Hope that makes sense. Going to add this, appears to me after watching Butch Jones, head coach at Tennessee, he has those qualities, and I do think the right word is qualities.

When I look at successful teams, it is easy enough to see the inspired leadership that makes them successful. I believe that successful football or basketball teams are sometimes taught the military way . . . . break them down, then build them up. Has worked for our military, and some sports teams.

I also understand that this day and time, certain things are no longer permitted, and the young men of today live different life styles than us older folks.

What I fail to see in Mark Richt is that "leadership" that I sometimes mention on this board. Your quote citing Bum Phillips describes the Bryants, Knights and Sabans perfectly. Guess I won't be satisfied with the coaching in Athens until I see very talented young players stepping up and joining the ranks mentioned above. That does take leadership.

I also believe we serve our purpose better when we look at how things are not what we hope for year after year.

Tomorrow for example. I hope Hutson Mason comes out and lights it up. Shows that there is enough arm strength to "deep ball". It is only fair to be judged on our previous efforts. Will stop, could go on forever. :)

Gene Stallings, a Junction Boy who later went on to coach at Texas A&M, in the NFL with with the St. Louis (now Arizona) Cardinals and then at Alabama, disputed the way both "The Junction Boys" book and movie portrayed Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant. In a September 2006 interview with Tuscaloosa Magazine, Stallings had this to say: "Junction, Texas, was tough, but I didn't like the way the book...and movie portrayed Coach Bryant. He wasn't brutal; he was tough. That's a big difference. He wanted to bring us together, away from distractions, unite the team."

When I think of toughness, have to look no further than Todd Gurley. No soft under belly there.

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #63184 by ogredawg
Replied by ogredawg on topic Contract Talk for Mark Richt

Buc wrote: Something else that gets my attention. Mike Bobo is our offensive coordinator, and our quarterback coach. Since Bobo was given the title of offensive coordinator, has anyone looked at the problems we have had at the quarterback position?

We run the pro style offense and just exactly where are we at when looking at the quarterback position in 2014? What could be a problem at the position . . . . just pop up this season? Check what has happened since Bobo was given the title of offensive coordinator. Is that harsh? It is if you can live with the fact that even though we had AM for a long time, one would think that our quarterback coach would be further along.

If Mike Bobo felt he had the quarterback position covered, so we could win what Mark Richt refers to every year as winning the East, it has to be explained to me in great detail what Bobo has to say about our place in the SEC now. What are the questions coming from the press and other media sources? Probably most of the conversations after the greatness of Todd Gurley, focus concern on the player that is considered by most to be the leader. Play does not start until the quarterback "barks".

As an offensive coordinator, I truly believe that Mike Bobo is chasing his tail. One thing for sure, a lot of Georgia supporters have their eyes fixed on the rest of this season. One positive, we don't have to face Steve Spurrier again.

Tried my best to get on board with Mike Bobo, but I am beginning to believe that sadlerdawg and ogredawg are spot on. I say that for this reason . . . . with the talent that is on campus, and the way we recruit, we should put points on the board. For damn sure we should have a passing game.

Have to say this . . . . Saban hired Kiffin, many wanted to say that Saban had lost his marbles. Alabama with Kiffin is going to do some things that have not been done in Tuscaloosa, ever. Nick Saban really understands what it takes. Also a shout out to wlayton, he understood that Derrick Henry was "all that" some years back. Henry in my opinion will cause "huge problems" for Ole Miss on Saturday. This is the kind of game that a "real offensive coordinator" like Kiffin proves the point that Nick Saban made when he hired the brash young man. By the way, appears that the "quarterback position" has been resolved in Tuscaloosa.

Here is where I am at. Nick Saban has the defensive coordinator that he wants, now he has the offensive coordinator that he wanted and got.

Takes me to this . . . . Saban is head and shoulders above Mark Richt. That also is not ugly. If anyone has a problem with that, proves to me that 8 win seasons are acceptable to those that hate to admit something is not quite right in Athens.

Correct me if I am wrong. The talking heads said that Georgia would be one of the final four.

The people behind the money are happy with adequate and a stable program which is exactly what we have with Richt/Bobo. Why else would CMR want Bobo to take his place when he decides it is time to retire? Bobo is being "groomed" as the hier apparent just like Goff was...

Sadler was way way ahead of me on Bobo. We lost our "coach" on the field so Bobo's weakness is really showing in such a short time span this year. I have said all along our problems went a lot deeper that grantham...

thecountrynation.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: sadlerdawg

More
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds