Forum

NLRB RULES

10 years 1 month ago #59700 by dawgs_fans_dad
Replied by dawgs_fans_dad on topic NLRB RULES
Thanks for the welcome! I was only lurking because my browser was having some trouble with Captcha.
By the time I was able to confirm my access the bowl season was over.

Short introduction:
1) Midwestern born and raised and was a college hoops fan when we moved to Atlanta. CF was an afterthought at my alma mater, Indiana.

2) Went to the Chick-Fil-A bowl in 2004 (Gators-'Canes) and ever since, the whole family lives, eats and breathes CF starting on Labor Day and ending with Georgia's bowl game.

3) The younger son gravitated towards the 'dawgs immediately, and I get to go along for the ride.
I think it all started with their big comeback against Va Tech in the '06 Chick-Fil-A Bowl. We go to a couple of games in Athens every year, have been to every GT-UGA game EXCEPT '08 since 2007 and the last two UGA-UF games. I'm sure you've done the math on that one, we are 2-0. :lol:

Full disclosure-my boys went to Hutson Mason's high school, so there is a little bias there. But if he doesn't deliver, the boy will be calling for a replacement.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlayton, Buc

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #59701 by averagedawg
Replied by averagedawg on topic NLRB RULES
I know a few college football players who have experienced injuries playing football. Kids who didn't play at the next level.
I firmly believe their medical expenses should be covered from these injuries indefinitely.

On the other hand, football is a brutal sport. Pain is part of the game.

I have personally experienced countless injuries in my line of work.
An amputated finger, a broken talus, a broken coccyx, constant back pain and numerous other things.
I consider myself lucky, having seen friends suffer far more serious work related injuries.
Never received any thing for my injuries, other than a little caution and a stronger character.

And all that is NOTHING compared to the pain and suffering our veterans have suffered.
Go to a VA hospital and see for yourself.

My point is these athletes are getting a free education, if they apply themselves.
Stop whining, put it in perspective.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, DAWGtm

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #59704 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic NLRB RULES
Much truth in your post averagedawg.

Totally on the same page with you on the injury in college. Just don't want that "injury" to be blown out of proportion. You and I both know that there are "professionals" meaning some doctors and lawyers and lets face it, judges that walk on the wrong side of the intended meaning of help.

If this "thingy" ever comes into play, then there has to be a contract between athlete and university. That is where the rubber "will" meet the road. Might be some years off but in my opinion, that will be the end of football as we now know it.

Seems every year or so rules change and it changes football as I have known it since the 1940's. Fell in love with the game of American Football at a very early age. Maybe that is my problem, getting too damn old to accept the "new way". Actually if it continues, I prefer Buc hits the "highway".

Still does my heart good when I get to watch young men like Todd Gurley, Michael Bennett, Chris conley and Aaron Murray get involved with the true spirit of college football.

On point with the Veterans Administration and I know how involved you and your bride are and have been for a long time. Good on the two of you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: averagedawg

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
10 years 1 month ago #59705 by averagedawg
Buc, My wife is a certified case manager who used to investigate workers comp, also Medicare fraud and abuse.
Workers Comp is an industry.
There are many "total disability" doctors.
In my experience, those who suffer the most serious injuries are those who cannot wait to get back to work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
10 years 1 month ago #59707 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic NLRB RULES

averagedawg wrote: Buc, My wife is a certified case manager who used to investigate workers comp, also Medicare fraud and abuse.
Workers Comp is an industry.
There are many "total disability" doctors.
In my experience, those who suffer the most serious injuries are those who cannot wait to get back to work.

Amazing how Washington, D.C. can screw up an entire nation. Much like our offensive line has been recently, not returning to work. Not all, some.

Theus said after the 2013 Season was over that he was going to have to go to work. That statement floored me.

Everyone cannot be "all that" but they can respect the fact that they are being "paid" to do a job. Education does not come cheap. Too many very talented offensive linemen going to other universities, not too hard to figure. It is not necessarily the book work education, it is the education they get playing a certain position. GPA's prove that out in most cases.

Comes back to this. Don't make it in football, did not get a degree, only in school for a couple of years, nothing to fall back on. Street corners lead to trouble at some point.

Lots of high paying jobs for unskilled workers in the Dakotas and elsewhere. Some how that shoe does not seem to fit.

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlayton, averagedawg

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
10 years 1 month ago #59708 by averagedawg
Seems these days everyone is "entitled" to something.
Free phones, free rent, free daycare, free food...................
Nothing in life should be free except freedom, freedom to succeed, freedom to fail.
Freedom to work, freedom to be a bum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlayton, Buc, DAWGtm

More
Time to create page: 0.052 seconds