Forum

Spring practice

10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #59805 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Spring practice

ogredawg wrote: I don't understand Bobo's thinking. TE is for sure short handed. But we have RB's and Recievers and quite a few O Lineman. If we don't have enough competiton at RB why in the hell did they move JJG to the D? Looks like he is making excuses and we are just 2 weeks into Spring. Granted we have some more RB's coming in the future but please stop making excuses already.....sheesh....

I said in an early post that WF was not happy and no one wants to step up on the O Guard position. Tackles look to be set with Theus and Houston with Beard as the next go to player. O line needs to get its head out of its ass or it is going to be a looooong season.....

Imo on the RB's he's just saying there's not much competition YET with Marshall out, Gurley limited and only Turman and Douglas practicing. Like you said, Michel and Chubb will be coming in and the competition will "heat up" for the RB positions like I think Bobo is referring to.

Man are you dead on about the OL. :(

PVBDAWG

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #59807 by averagedawg
Replied by averagedawg on topic Spring practice
One thing Pruitt has brought to Athens is the need for strength and conditioning.
Too long I have watched our guys run out of gas in the fourth quarter.
I totally get his emphasis on speed, ties into conditioning.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #59809 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Spring practice

wlayton wrote:

ogredawg wrote: I don't understand Bobo's thinking. TE is for sure short handed. But we have RB's and Recievers and quite a few O Lineman. If we don't have enough competiton at RB why in the hell did they move JJG to the D? Looks like he is making excuses and we are just 2 weeks into Spring. Granted we have some more RB's coming in the future but please stop making excuses already.....sheesh....

I said in an early post that WF was not happy and no one wants to step up on the O Guard position. Tackles look to be set with Theus and Houston with Beard as the next go to player. O line needs to get its head out of its ass or it is going to be a looooong season.....

Imo on the RB's he's just saying there's not much competition YET with Marshall out, Gurley limited and only Turman and Douglas practicing. Like you said, Michel and Chubb will be coming in and the competition will "heat up" for the RB positions like I think Bobo is referring to.

Man are you dead on about the OL. :(

Have mixed thoughts on this. If I have to keep it short, believe that the defense is kicking the offensive lines ass. Know for a fact that when we watch Turman and Chubb run the football, a shadow of each other. That ain't a bad thing.

Give me an outstanding offensive line and lesser talent at the running back position. Lesser talent not meaning a washout. Not every back is going to be a Todd Gurley or Herschel Walker. Can only imagine what Gurley could have done with an offensive line that came to play . . . . every down.

As far as Theus, not buying the hype. Still don't think that he will ever play left tackle after college, if he plays at all. Not trying to be ugly, just pointing out what I have seen. Check out the film on Isaiah Wynn in this thread. Theus does not have the "streak" that I thought he had.

Edit: Post #66 in this thread, video of Isaiah Wynn. Never stops, makes an impression on the player he is after, and I do mean after. He sends a message. Seldom have I seen Theus move off of the offensive line more than 5 or so yards. That is a "given" more than a "learned" trait. Some do, some don't.

More
10 years 1 month ago #59811 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Spring practice
I have always agreed with you Buc that Theus will not make a good LT. I think he is competitive but you have LT talent to go with it.....and there is a big difference in being competitive and having a mean streak/nastiness.

I hope I'm wrong on Theus.

PVBDAWG
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #59813 by Buc

wlayton wrote: I have always agreed with you Buc that Theus will not make a good LT. I think he is competitive but you have LT talent to go with it.....and there is a big difference in being competitive and having a mean streak/nastiness.

I hope I'm wrong on Theus.

Actually wlayton, I think we have agreed with each other on Theus and his talent. You are just as much invested in the thoughts of improving our offensive line as I and others are. Having read everything on this board for a long time, there are four or five that look closely at the "problem area" that you, I and others know needs "fixing".

I do believe this wlayton . . . . Theus could be a very strong and productive guard, probably left offensive guard. Know that he prefers that side of the ball. I also think (know) that the offensive line has not been a major area of concern for UGA. Hard for anyone to disagree with that last statement, especially if they look at the "record" for the past 13 years.

While I am proud of every young man that gets a chance to play between the Hedges, I also know that some don't reach the heights that we as fans hope for. A lot of that comes from the media hype, some of that comes from a lack of expertise from the coaching staff.

With the "new energy" that has taken over in the "off season" . . . . Spring practice, we are still faced with an offensive line that has the offensive coaches not in the best frame of mind. They are not BS'ing, there is genuine concern when our offensive coordinator says . . . . we need the incoming recruits to shore up "some things". The single biggest factor that will keep the University of Georgia out of the final four or the SECCG is at this point the offensive line.

Sorry, back on the soap box again, but I have been around this game for some time, and yes, I do understand more than some and less than others. That is what makes me a fan I suppose.

Until the University of Georgia comes up with "real leadership" we will remain on the same roller coaster that has been with us for a long time. Yep, even before Mark Richt. Took the mighty Alabama a while to get it right, but they did get it right. Not sure if Auburn is a flash in the pan, but Auburn played in the last National Championship Game. Watching Malzahn, he is after offensive linemen, he understands.

Not comfortable with some things that are beginning to show their ugly head. Couple of "nasties" coming in, might be that Mike Bobo has stepped out and will challenge the folks above him that don't understand what Saban does.

Edit: Have to add this. Anyone notice that there is a lot of good media coming out of Athens from "several sources" . . . . that does not include "Pouty Face". Got his butt handed to him and he knows it. He controls nothing, bruised ego.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlayton, averagedawg, growl

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #59814 by Buc
Another article below that ties into some of what is being said on our board. What is said in the article is coming from a player on the field, not what some writer like "Pouty" likes to control.

There is no doubt there is incredible talent in our backfield. Also, as has been past history, we have young men that can and will play the quarterback position. Hutson waited five years, must have had a good signal caller in front of him.

Not one mention about our offensive coaches saying anything about our offensive line. Not going to protect or gain yardage against these SEC defenses with that front line. Just won't happen. We are not the only team that has outstanding defensive football players . . . . and coaches.

bulldawgillustrated.com/2014/04/04/georg...gs-loaded-backfield/

More
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds