Forum

Let's hope this pans out . . .

11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #46950 by thriller
Replied by thriller on topic Re: Let's hope this pans out . . .
How do you define success?

Granted, if this UGA team wins the National Championship, everyone on this board will jump on the CMR/Bobo/Grantham bandwagon, and I wouldn't blame you at all. But what if they fall short? How short can they fall and you still feel like it was a successful season?

And what about LSU fans last year? They were optimistic that their team was going to win it all. Look what happened. And how would you like to be a Florida fan? Oklahoma? Boise State (face facts - that was the best shot they may EVER get at a National Championship). Want to ridicule ME for expecting a better result this year than last? Then the only team you aren't ridiculing is Alabama, because they are the only team in the nation that met the new "standard expectation", out of all 120 teams playing.

Here is something interesting. Most here on the board are not Mark Bradley fans, least of all ME. So last year I kept a copy of his preseason predictions, thinking he would make a fool of himself, as he usually does. Here is what he said:

"Six months ago I wouldn’t have imagined this pick, but here it is: Georgia will go 10-2 and win the SEC East. And how’s that for a snappy beginning to our annual long-range look at college football?
What changed my mind about Georgia? The Dream Team. I’m not the biggest believer in recruiting rankings, but this class rekindled a fire that, after 8-5 followed by 6-7, was down to embers."

What's the idiot saying this year?

"Georgia will go 11-1 and win the SEC East. Then it will beat LSU for the SEC championship. And then … well, what destination traditionally awaits the SEC champion? (Hint: It ain’t beautiful downtown Shreveport.)
With that, we commence our annual long-range look at college football, which is guaranteed to please absolutely no one. If I pick your team to do less well than you think it should, you’ll be miffed; if I pick your team to do better, you’ll gripe about the Bradley Jinx. Which didn’t, I should note, seem to trouble Georgia overmuch last season: The Bulldogs, as predicted, did take the East. And this year, for better or worse, I foresee better."

Bradley is an idiot, and so is Vegas. Me too. But don't get into the business of saying a person SHOULD NOT BE OPTIMISTIC about his/her teams chances of having a great season. If you do, then do it for all but ONE team. And be RIGHT about which team it is, every single year. Ridicule Texas fans. Ridicule Oklahoma fans. Ridicule Boise State fans. Ridicule LSU fans. Ridicule 119 teams fans.

BTW, the comments Eubanks made about Grantham and Aaron Murray were NOT saying that Georgia has its best shot at the MNC since Erk. He was taking shot at our "delusions of grandeur", that finally we have all the pieces in place, just like when Erk was still here. He was saying "no, UGA, you do NOT have the pieces in place". He was taking shot at all of us who genuinely believe that our program is a WINNING program, and that it's just POSSIBLE that this year COULD be worth watching. Forget him. But thanks for posting it, Buc.

[Just a quick edit here: to anyone who thinks UGA will disappoint this year - call Todd Grantham and ask him what HE predicts for this year. I think he will disagree with you . . . what do YOU think he'll say?]

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• thriller
  • Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
11 years 10 months ago #46951 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Re: Let's hope this pans out . . .
thriller figure CTG would say the same thing that Erk would say. Flip the damn coin and let's play some football. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: thriller

More
11 years 10 months ago #46952 by thriller
Replied by thriller on topic Re: Let's hope this pans out . . .
Buc, you got that right!

But I think if someone were to call up Todd Grantham and ask this:

"Coach, given the fact that Mark Richt and Mike Bobo are still there, what makes you think this year is going to be any different than last year? What right do you have to think UGA may have something special about to happen in 2012? Didn't we say that last year, and the year before that, and the year before that, ad nauseum? Why don't you just give up?"

I'm not sure what he'd say, but I'll bet he would look the way he looked last year after the Vanderbilt game, when he was "conversing" with Coach Franklin, if you did ask him that. He believes, and it's not just "politically correct". I honestly doubt if he has any of that in him. I think he believes we have a chance more than anyone on this board does, including ME.

But the only way to know would be to call him up. I won't do it. :laugh:

• thriller
  • Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #46953 by Dawg With Style
Replied by Dawg With Style on topic Re: Let's hope this pans out . . .
Grantham said has anybody seen those 4 RB Boo,Marshall.Gurley,and IC even Bozo can not screw that up for the first time we have RB so what the OL is not that good yet buy the time the 4 Quater gets here we will do like LSU did own us because my defense will keep us in the game.:)(IMO)

Who is the sleeper team in the Sec?

b.bm324.com/public/?q=ulink&fn=Link&ssid...T8_zZQ.T8_zZQ.q7hxOQ

How Bout them Dawgs!!!!!!!

Ride it like you stole it

• Dawg With Style
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
11 years 10 months ago #46956 by ogredawg
Replied by ogredawg on topic Re: Let's hope this pans out . . .
won't ever see me jumping on the Bobo bandwagon. Regardless the outcome of this upcoming season he still has to go.

Defense wins NC's, Saban has proven that more than once.

One game at a time starting with Buffalo.

thecountrynation.com

More
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #46957 by AllDawgs5
Replied by AllDawgs5 on topic Re: Let's hope this pans out . . .
On a side note, view right, CTG signed his contract extension. Another great move by Mac. The article states that CTG cannot make a lateral move. Mac and CTG acknowledge that CTG has aspirations to become a HC, but CTG is happy with his current situation. Getting my hopes up CMR goes out a winner, and CTG steps in.

GO DAWGS
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dawg With Style

More
Time to create page: 0.068 seconds