Forum

Sam Pittman leaving UGA

4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #80633 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Sam Pittman leaving UGA
Some of the members have had conversations since the beginning of last season, yep, last season about certain coaches that we wanted to keep if at all possible. That conversation has not reached its final destination at this time. There is another coach that has been a tremendous asset for Georgia Football that has a lot of folks tugging at his coattails. There are those here that are holding their collective breath(s) thinking and weighing the possibilities of another departure.

Game has changed like no other "business" in recent years. College football is a business, men like Coach Pittman that have been a part of the game for 35 or so years have realized that a great opportunity has opened for them. While coaches like Sam Pittman and others love the "game", they also have arrived at the age and time that permits them to "hit the lotto" so to speak. Do I think that is the only reason Sam Pittman and others choose to change their employment, nope, they love to coach, comes down to a "business decision". Coach Sam Pittman made that decision, would wager that anyone that reads this board would do the same thing if presented with the right deal. Arkansas was and is the right deal for Sam Pittman.

We have to move on now from Pittman, we have others in Athens that are facing decisions about "their lives", many of us have at one point faced some of the same decisions, others will at some point. Sam Pittman is now the head coach at Arkansas, wish him well, hope that he sparks interest in "his" team, interest to the point that Arkansas starts playing like they used to, play like they belong in the SEC. If we ever face off with Arkansas, hope we beat them. That will never change for me, Georgia "first".

Topic has been discussed a lot on this board and others . . . . Never fails that we need to do "something else", whether offensively or defensively. Over the years dating back to the days of the Atlanta Journal and Constitution, morning and evening editions, the same conversations were being had by those that were interested deeply in the "game".

LSU needed to do "something else", that something else now has them sitting on top of the college football world, rating wise. Not the first university that has done that . . . . check the fortunes of the Crimson Tide since they changed coaches the last time. Add to that there have been several coaching changes in Tuscaloosa at the levels under Nick Saban. There is a reason for the coaching departures, one of them is the "business end" of the "college football business". Lane Kiffin is a good example of what I am trying to say, FAU to Ole Miss, Kiffin will gat a substantial raise and he will change the way Ole Miss plays football on Saturdays. Did that when he worked for Nick Saban, and Saban's mind is not easily changed.

Going on too long, having been around this game for so long, seeing the changes, hearing the same pros and cons, some of us flip the page and move on, SEC Football has. Much more to be said about the "game", in time there will be those that look a little deeper into the "business" a "business" that some recognize what they are seeing. Stop with this for now . . . . check the way the NCAA has been ran for an eternity. It is a business.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago #80634 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic Sam Pittman leaving UGA
Coaching changes from anywhere below the head-man are inevitable, and we better be prepared to deal with them continuously. I loved Sam, but he's not the only guy in the country that can recruit and coach O-linemen, so just like with players; next man up.

Buc you mention change... evolving, and that's where I think we've let ourselves down a bit. Seems to me we are doing the exact same things we did 3 years ago. Watching this season it seems we followed up each game by doubling down on whatever we did the previous game. We seem to be damned determined that "this is what we do and it's what we're going to do". That's great right up until the moment that it doesn't work.

I am not talking about changing an identity. I am not talking about going from a read/option team to a spread, to a pro-style offense. All I am talking about are tweaks.. evolving slowly over a season or over any length of time.. adding new elements... utilizing all the weapons on the field..

Sorry to say that I just haven't seen it on the offensive side of the ball. I'm not going to sit here and throw darts at Cooley, Kirby, Hankton, or any one person... but I think there is an issue up and above just the athletes playing the WR position, and it needs to be addressed. Defensive scheming against UGA has to be about the easiest job in the SEC. If you've got the athletes on defense to just not be physically overwhelmed, then it becomes very simple.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.

More
4 years 4 months ago #80635 by BulldogShannon
Replied by BulldogShannon on topic Sam Pittman leaving UGA
1. Kinda funny that our OL coach gets a head job and our OC gets nothing!

2. That said, I'm more irritated out our WR play this year than Coley. So many plays dropped that would have helped us. If Tyler Simmons doesn't let a ball go right through his hands in OT, we beat SC and are in the playoff today, warts and all. I'd be up for trying to bring McClendon back just to have a new voice for our WR's, or Hines Ward.

3. As far as Coley, I'm just a fan so it's hard for me to judge bad play calling from bad execution. But I do know this: too many drops by 4/5 star WR's this year and that's not on Coley. If half of those catches are made, then Coley would be looked at as "all that".

4. Fromm needed our best group of seniors/juniors leaders in 2017 to get to the title game. Others make him better----while great QB's make OTHERS better. I don't know if Fromm, Mathis, Beck is the answer next year. But I know this: Fromm needs to EARN the job this time around.

More
4 years 4 months ago #80636 by BulldogShannon
Replied by BulldogShannon on topic Sam Pittman leaving UGA

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #80637 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Sam Pittman leaving UGA
Wartdawg posted . . . .

Buc you mention change... evolving, and that's where I think we've let ourselves down a bit. Seems to me we are doing the exact same things we did 3 years ago. Watching this season it seems we followed up each game by doubling down on whatever we did the previous game. We seem to be damned determined that "this is what we do and it's what we're going to do". That's great right up until the moment that it doesn't work.

Like you, I think at times I am taken in a different way than what my intent is when posting . . . . Could not agree more than I do about your post above. "I" believe and have said this numerous times here, we are running the same game plan(s) that were being utilized many years back in Tuscaloosa. Reason for that? Smart came from a winning program, why change . . . . 11-1 seasons look real good to most FANS, that is until we get a bit accustomed to 11-1, then we start shopping for a larger shoe size. size 11 needs to be size 12.

Our program was put in place from the day Smart was hired to return to Athens. No one knows more than Kirby Smart that he has to step back and take a serious look at his model. High school football has changed college football. Some 6 to 8 years back on this board, a person could be made to walk on hot coals if they dared to say "change our college look to fit the players coming into the SEC from high school. High schools that have gotten away from the way the game was played and games won under the Saban plan. FACT. Another FACT. NFL football is changing its offensive style in the last few years, looking also like the high school game.

Kirby does have a choice. He can continue on the same path or . . . . he can do as his mentor has done, get away from the way football was played and winning years back. Kirby just went through another game that had a quarterback that was both mobile (when needed) and pro style. If Joe Burrows had been a quarterback for Georgia, allowed to play the game we play, he would have been very good behind Sam Pittman's offensive line. There is one drawback Wart and you have mentioned this more than once . . . . Somebody has to catch the ball, catch the ball and not quitting on routes or not able to run effective pass routes. "My opinion" . . . . Jake Fromm played quarterback a certain way, he was the only quarterback that our coach had any faith in. Takes me to Coley, he was being restricted to call a certain game plan because he was limited to what he could and could not do. Not going to get into a back and forth about Coley, have watched games that he called with a mobile quarterback and looked nothing like what I see in Athens.

Our team was built a certain way, at this point, thinking about 2020, just how much can we change what we are going to do when we have players that do not fit another system. Much of our 2020 plans, both coaching and player personnel come down to what 3 or4 solid years of recruiting can produce. Our team was put together by Smart to fix a defense that needed help. Somewhere in the 3 or 4 years of recruiting, easy enough to see that Kirby Smart was not ready or "knew" how to make a huge change on offense.

Much can and will be said about our football team. I say that we are many times better since Coach Smart arrived. Might be time for Coach Smart to entertain a different style of playing offense. He could start by having a coach that has played and coached offensive football that apparently Coach Smart does not agree with. We have one. If so, we will read and hear about it from the media that is allowed inside the BM Building.

More
4 years 4 months ago #80638 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic Sam Pittman leaving UGA
Matt worked as OL coach twice for David Cutcliffe ...

Duke and Tenn... I have a great deal of respect for Coach C...

Matt recruited David Andrews while at Duke..

David has posted big endorsement for Matt to fill the position

Here at Georgia..... haven’t heard anybody voice anything

Negative about this possibility....

Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.039 seconds