Forum

GAME DAY: SECCG GEORGIA BULLDOGS VS LSU TIGERS

4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #80599 by SouthernDawg
Replied by SouthernDawg on topic GAME DAY: SECCG GEORGIA BULLDOGS VS LSU TIGERS
Part 1

So I've been holding a lot of stuff back this season just because in the midst of the season, it just doesn't serve well to point out our blaring inadequacies and then mope about how bad we're going to get beaten. But I did give hints, like last Saturday, the Saturday before, etc. Yesterday, we exhausted our defense early, which gave us no chance whatsoever to even have a fighter's chance at competing.

Bottom line is this - yesterday was the perfect storm of our inadequacies. You also got a real taste of what a ball control run-first offense looks like when it can neither control the ball nor run it. A lot of allusions were made this past week in comparing Kirby's philosophy to grandpa's old Cadillac that runs well, but looks like junk. I think that's a fair comparison. Will Muschamp was the turning point in this season, and I give him a ton of credit for it. He figured out that our receivers were garbage - yes, garbage - and said if you take the run away by stacking the box, Georgia will fall apart like cheap toilet paper. And it worked. Every team we've played since South Carolina followed suit and our offense has looked catatonic. That speaks volumes about this defense and how much it meant to us this season.

College football has changed. The run-up-the-gut smash mouth football of the 1980s and 1990s has gone the same way as the triple option - its outdated and obsolete. Teams are far more dynamic now. The days of - run it on first, get stopped, run it up the gut on 2nd, get stopped, toss a screen pass on 3rd and long are over with. And what bothered me this season is that's exactly what we did, every single game. It was misery watching this crap. And look, I agree with Kirby (and appreciated his candor last night) - we don't have the talent. Well whose fault is that? And I don't want to hear about the injuries to Cager, Jackson, Simmons, etc. Even when those guys were healthy, our offense sucked. There has been utterly no attempt this season to become creative on offense, but rather, only do the same crap with other players. If it didn't work for Swift, sub in Zeus and try it again. Doesn't work for Zeus, pop Cook in and let him try it. Oh it didn't work? Let's punt it.

James Coley is one hell of a recruiter, no one is doubting that. But nepotism breads apathy, and I disagreed entirely with his decision not to go outside his system for an OC when Chaney left. Lanning is a different story altogether. I agree that execution is a huge problem, and the coaches can't go out there and catch passes for the plays they design. But the play calling this season was more flat, boring, and predictable than at any time I've seen since I've been watching Georgia football. Should Coley be replaced? Yes. He should. Should Cortez Hankton be replaced? Yes. He should. Buc's trademark is "coach em' up." I ask an honest question - at what point did these vaunted 4 and 5 star receivers that we were pissing ourselves with excitement over a year or two ago turn into rotting garbage? Whose fault is that? Was this just a case of being overrated? I seriously doubt it. This is a failure in coaching. Someone needs to own this. Could it be that the coaches just relied on this championship defense (yet, another one to be frittered down the drain) to cover for their ineptitude?

It will hurt to lose the recruiting prowess of Coley but at this point, it's clear that his presence is going to hurt UGA more than it will help it. You tell me what QB recruit is going to be excited about playing for this retarded offensive scheme that we've been running at UGA? You tell me what wideout is going to have interest in playing for a read option offense that is going option them out 75% of the time? Mark my words, this season has done more to damage our recruiting than at any time since Kirby has been here - and that's a huge problem. You tell me who is coming in to replace Fromm? Oh and by the way, there's not a snowball's chance in hell that Fromm is leaving for the NFL after this dumpster fire of a season. So we've got one more year to use him wisely. I do think he bounces back with proper mentoring and a revamped offensive scheme with at least a couple of receivers that can catch the ball.

There's a lot of hype now about Bobo coming back to UGA as OC. Maybe it happens, maybe it doesn't. Might I take this opportunity to remind everyone to tickle their memory banks, or use the search function on dawgs.com and recall the fact that everything with Bobo wasn't puppy dogs and unicorn farts. That said, would take Bobo over Coley right now, and I'd damn sure hate to have Bobo calling plays against us for the team at the Willy B. Something has to give here. Kirby would do well to listen to Coach O's presser where he talks about delegating and letting go of his micro managerial style. There absolutely must be changes made after the bowl game, otherwise the leash our head Dawg is on just got a lot shorter.

End of Part 1
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago #80600 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic GAME DAY: SECCG GEORGIA BULLDOGS VS LSU TIGERS
Watching us run the read option all year with a QB that posed no threat of running was an absolute joke.

... and you are spot on with the fact that out answer was to try it again with a different running back.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.

More
4 years 4 months ago #80601 by Buc
Kirby would do well to listen to Coach O's presser where he talks about delegating and letting go of his micro managerial style. There absolutely must be changes made after the bowl game, otherwise the leash our head Dawg is on just got a lot shorter.

Lifted the above from SD's Part 1.

Have always followed the posts here concerning Kirby Smart's post game comments. I also watch the videos where Kirby addresses some of his feelings about offensive play. Smart has said in pre and post game videos that Georgia is a run first team and that will remain in "his game plans". Anyone doubting that Kirby Smart is running the same offense that I have mentioned here when discussing Nick Saban's offense in the earlier years, check some of my posts.

My opinion what Kirby has done since his arrival is recruit on a grand scale. If one look closely, easy to see where his main focus has been. Defense certainly. Often seen on our sideline at the end of a successful game is Kirby hugging Sam. Good reason for that, Sam Pittman has a free hand when recruiting and the way his players operate offensively. Should be that way. That would be the Orgeron way this season, not prior seasons.

During yesterdays game, Smart crawled all over Coach Scott, that was not the first time. Have seen the same happening with our defensive coordinator. Orgeron and Saban knew they had to change their offensive stances in particular, paid off for both.

Do I think that Coach James Coley will be replaced? No. Do I think Coach James Coley needs to be replaced? No. There have been some rumblings that Coley is available. I would hope so, means to me that he has value. Will be totally shocked if Smart releases Coley. Smart needs to step back and let James Coley operate. Just for the sake of typing . . . . seem to remember well what the members on this board thought of Coach Chaney. Go back and read what several different members had to say over more than one year as offensive coordinator.

And this, Jeremy Pruitt hired Jim Chaney . . . . wonder why? Pruitt had full control of who he would hire, not Phat Phil. Bet that.

I look for Jake Fromm to return, as has been said, would not be a good year to enter the NFL draft. Offensive line is going to be top notch in 2020. Fully believe that we will better at the receiver position(s). Also, have hope that Theo Johnson chooses Georgia this month. He will be the type of tight end that demands the football. Coley would love to have Johnson in his offense as a first year player. Bet that also.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1, growl

More
4 years 4 months ago #80602 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic GAME DAY: SECCG GEORGIA BULLDOGS VS LSU TIGERS
Hate that Blaylock has a ACL.....should be ready for fall

Camp 2020.......

Getting excited for another trip to the Sugar Bowl ..... a challenge

Benefits....more practice time..... early 2020 recruits get a chance

To work out..... many faces will not play in our bowl game...

For various reasons.....

Our conversations about HC needing seasoning comes to mind

Good thoughts continue in this thread..... Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!

More
4 years 4 months ago #80603 by stevedawg
Replied by stevedawg on topic GAME DAY: SECCG GEORGIA BULLDOGS VS LSU TIGERS
In this game I was hopeful that I would see the best of what we have. Instead I saw the perfect storm of the weaknesses.

Great game by LSU. They found the holes and exploited them.

Good season guys. Lots of W's.

For winning the Natty give every Dawg a bone AND prime rib steak.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1, dawgs_fans_dad

4 years 4 months ago #80604 by dawgs_fans_dad
Replied by dawgs_fans_dad on topic GAME DAY: SECCG GEORGIA BULLDOGS VS LSU TIGERS
Bobo to USCe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1

More
Time to create page: 0.061 seconds