Forum

From Athens- SECCG week

4 years 4 months ago #80544 by SimpleDawg
Replied by SimpleDawg on topic From Athens- SECCG week
After having looked back over the season, and especially the past 4 games, I have a better understanding of the dynamics that have impacted the passing game, and Jake.....

Our receivers have had difficulty creating space/separation to get open.....either due to the DB, running imprecise routes, running the wrong routes, and in some cases, they're not even looking for the ball. I guess Jake has been much more frustrated than we have. He has known all of this from the beginning.

But the big hit has been the injuries to Cager and Simmons for most of the year. The only two guys who understand that separation isn't always necessary in order to catch passes haven't always been available. It's time for the young WRs to step up their mental game and their focus.

The key to the Dawgs' victory will be domination by the OL & the DL..... It's just football in the broadest sense, the details don't matter unless the big boys are putting the opponents on their backs. The little fast guys are only effective through dominate line play.

I'm feeling good about the game. This is a prime opportunity for the Dawgs to make a definitive statement. I can tell that Kirby is primed and ready....hopefully, the kids are too.

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, yankeedawg1, growl

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #80545 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens- SECCG week
SimpleDawg, really in lock step with your post. One particular paragraph that I totally agree with . . . .

Our receivers have had difficulty creating space/separation to get open.....either due to the DB, running imprecise routes, running the wrong routes, and in some cases, they're not even looking for the ball. I guess Jake has been much more frustrated than we have. He has known all of this from the beginning.

Has been interesting reading many media shouts about Jake having some difficult games recently. Little bit like stepping outside to take a swim, insert toe in the water and . . . . no way too cold. Receivers either can or can't figure out the college game after being around quarterbacks like Jake Fromm for more than a year, best get a good education, not going to the next level. When Jake Fromm has protection, he is as solid as most quarterbacks in today's game.

Some want to say a few words about Coach Coley's play calling, but James Coley is in the same boat that you mention in your post SimpleDawg, players play, coaches don't wear the cleats. On that note, Kirby Smart is not going to change his overall approach to the way Georgia plays offensively. UGA will run the ball. As most know successful running allows pocket passers such as Jake Fromm to make completions, and do so regularly.

Read a quote from James Cook about his lack of playing time. James said point blank that his turn will come and he is happy right where he is. Press overplays the James Cook angle too often. Glad that James is returning next season, at one point his leaving entered my mind, bothered me a bit. So glad that he cleared the air, PUBLICLY.

Again, real good read. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1, SimpleDawg

More
4 years 4 months ago #80546 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic From Athens- SECCG week
Excellent post simpledawg.... Buc....we shared our concerns about

Cook leaving...HC spoke about getting Cook more touches...

James and Zamir two very important parts of our future....

It started showing last year and when Clemson ate the Tides lunch

It became clear Kirby was being missed in Tuscaloosa..

Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #80547 by Buc
Many coaches can trace their success back to working with Nick Saban in Tuscaloosa. Figure that Saban will figure out a way to retain his coaches for a longer stay. Press spewing that maybe Saban is ready to move on, getting passed by other coaches. Bull spit. Saban plays to win, does it through "his process". A process that has flowed outside Tuscaloosa and found its way to several colleges, Georgia included. Money in the college game has risen to levels that are very hard for assistants to turn down. Wonder where we (UGA) would be right now if Kirby was still in Tuscaloosa? Who knows, might still have the same head coach that was released in Miami recently. Not really tossing rocks, just calling it the way I see it.

yd1 you said this above and it got my attention . . . .It became clear Kirby was being missed in Tuscaloosa..
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #80548 by Buc
Lifted this post by BlakeJMorgan from another site.

Kirby lost:

- his offensive coordinator
- his defensive coordinator
- top 5 receivers
- 1,000 yard rusher
- Jim Thorpe winner

- 68% of this team is freshman/sophomores (youngest in the SEC).

...yet he still has them playing for a spot in the CFP for the 3rd year in a row.

Kirby Smart going through some of the same things that Nick Saban has been going through for a while.Damn impressive when looking at what has been accomplished.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1

More
4 years 4 months ago #80549 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic From Athens- SECCG week
Buc.... your post above strikes to the quick what you made comments on earlier...and I totally agree...

That this SECCG .... win or lose is part of the process....and
it need not take away from what progress and accomplishments
Have taken place in four short years....

Cheesestick at Assburn one Natty and done....

Yes I wanna Natty....but.... I want a winning program more that can compete year after year.... Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.033 seconds