Forum

From Athens- SECCG week

4 years 3 months ago #80550 by SouthernDawg
Replied by SouthernDawg on topic From Athens- SECCG week
I've been doing a lot of reading on LSU forums, paying attention to the media talking heads, reading this, reading that, talking to the peanut gallery and getting an overall feel for what the general opinion on this game is. Thus far, this is the overwhelming take I've seen on the game:

- Georgia is only there because of a weak East
- Yes, Georgia's defense is elite, but still no match for LSU
- Fromm is finally showing his colors as a QB that has been the product of good receivers, until now
- Georgia's offense is inept
- Georgia's defense hasn't faced a top 25 offense all season
- Georgia would do well to just forfeit the game and save the embarrassment

My take on the game is this:

Anyone who has been on this forum for any period of time, going back to the midst of CMR's days at the helm of UGA, will remember the fact that all of us lamented not having any O line or D line of size. Specifically, the noise was the loudest about this deficiency in 2015 when Bama and Kirby came into Athens and destroyed us. What was the general take on that loss? That Bama's lines were so dominant that it was embarrassing; like their men playing against our boys. And more specifically, that the SEC elite had lines that dominated the line of scrimmage.

Coach O had a very serious look in his eye in his Monday presser when he said "this will be the best offensive and defensive line we've seen all year." Bingo. He knows. Take all that chatter and crap spewing I posted above and ignore it. Elite SEC programs have elite lines, and with elite lines, ANYTHING can happen.

If Georgia is to pull this game out, it's going to be getting back to the basics of our brand of football. What Kirby has done with a defense that, by his own admission, isn't loaded with star power, is nothing short of amazing. That defense is going to be challenged downfield any number of times this coming week. LSU loves to spread it out with 4 wideouts. They're going to take their shots. If our D can slow that down, this game becomes very different from what the talking heads say it will be. Our lines are better than LSU's lines. Take that to the bank and cash it. If they can pressure Burrow and make LSU transition to a run-first offense, then we have turned the tables on them. If we give up the deep ball in this game, then we're putting ourselves behind the 8 ball and having to play keep-up with LSU and it's pretty much game over.

We need our offense to play some efficient pitch and catch this Saturday. Move the chains and give the defense their rest. That's going to be the key to victory for me. The defense will win this game, but the offense absolutely has got to help them. I don't care if it's a 20 play drive from our own 1 yard line at 5 yards a pop. Move the chains. Give the D their rest. If they're exhausted out there, this thing gets ugly quick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, yankeedawg1, dawgs_fans_dad, SimpleDawg

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago #80551 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens- SECCG week
LSU will try to keep us honest by making sure their #22 has his hands on the ball throughout the game. Both run and pass.

Mentioned before that I was disappointed with the lack of "effort" by the Aggies. Bet this . . . . win, lose or whatever, that will not be the case Saturday when the whistle blows. We have faced off with the best of the West more than once since Smart arrived in Athens, never once saw our players give up. One less offside call against us and not a doubt in my mind that we would have another National Championship displayed in Athens.

This is going to be a game that some different twists are employed by Georgia. A solid plus for us is the fact that Kirby Smart has been down this road "many times" in the not too distant past. Will be fireworks from the beginning, both teams loaded with talent. These two teams have offensive and defensive lines that are a major reason for both teams playing for the SECCG.

Game will come down to the team that tackles best. Shoulder bumps will be costly to both sides. We will face man coverage most of the day, LSU believes they have the best defensive backfield in the country and they have been very good thus far. Believe both quarterbacks are going to have to live by the 3 or4 second rule. Three is a close call time wise getting the pass off, four will get both quarterbacks in a lot of trouble.

Good read SouthernDawg, looking forward to Saturday.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1, dawgs_fans_dad, SimpleDawg

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #80552 by dawgs_fans_dad
Replied by dawgs_fans_dad on topic From Athens- SECCG week
Listened to Atlanta sports radio yesterday and got some "hot takes". You know, Fromm is a game manager, LSU is the best team the 'dawgs have played all year (no kidding), etc., etc., blah, blah, blah. I would point out that Georgia is the best team that LSU has played all year. Yes, I know they played the Tide.
Switched it off after about 3 minutes. Get better info here anyway.

I think it's going to be a close, hard fought game and if one of the teams can't keep their defense off the field it will show up in the fourth quarter. With Cager out and Pickens out for the first half and Swift possibly a little diminished there's going to be a lot of "next man up" going on. This is why CKS recruits depth.

Will say I like the way Coach O goes about his business. Wouldn't mind if he went and did it at USCw. :)

Go 'dawgs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, yankeedawg1, growl

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #80553 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic From Athens- SECCG week
Hump day ..... HC is telling the heads....we aren’t going to do a major Overhaul and a radical change to our offense in one week....

we are

who we are........we just need to execute better...

Absolutely..... several players spoke out about opening the playbook more this week..

We haven’t run all the plays in a game that we have worked on

All season in practice....

I Totally agree..... boys in the trenches will have much to say about

Who wins this game.....

Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, growl

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
4 years 3 months ago #80557 by scooby
Replied by scooby on topic From Athens- SECCG week
You get a chance every so often. Kirby has had a few chances.

Everybody has figured out the process...get good recruits, lol.

This is the biggest game yet for uga under Kirby. Get thumped here and the recruiting will slip. Mainly receivers. You see auburn and Bama making big passes, why not go there?

I really thought Jake was going to be a high draft pick. Think he has slipped to the second round.

Hey, I’ll be pulling for the dawgs, but don’t see them hanging with LSU. I’ll be on a golfing weekend...packing my oldish uga gear for Sunday, just in case.

More
4 years 3 months ago #80558 by SouthernDawg
Replied by SouthernDawg on topic From Athens- SECCG week

scooby wrote: I’ll be on a golfing weekend...packing my oldish uga gear for Sunday, just in case.

I'll wear my UGA gear on Sunday regardless of the outcome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1, dawgs_fans_dad

More
Time to create page: 0.034 seconds