Forum

From Athens- Friday Thoughts

6 years 3 months ago #78158 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts
I will be happy if we just see Chaney mix up and use everything in our existing toolbox.

For me the key to this game... the difference maker, may be special teams.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #78159 by SouthernDawg
Replied by SouthernDawg on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts

Wartdawg wrote: I will be happy if we just see Chaney mix up and use everything in our existing toolbox.

For me the key to this game... the difference maker, may be special teams.

^^ THIS ^^

This is going to be a game where errors and turnovers kill us. Fortunately, we've been really good in the turnover department and the on-field discipline has been far better in the 2nd half of the season than the first half.

Special teams play is going to be huge. I"m still waiting on Hardman to run one back. He's way overdue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1, sflanagan21

More
6 years 3 months ago #78160 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts
SouthernDawg, I am all in on this . . . .

Special teams play is going to be huge. I"m still waiting on Hardman to run one back. He's way overdue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1, SouthernDawg

More
6 years 3 months ago #78161 by dawgs_fans_dad
Replied by dawgs_fans_dad on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts
Watched the semifinal game again this morning for about the 4th time this week. Noticed how calm CKS was during the game tying drive in regulation.

Also, spectacular special teams which I said in the other thread.

Dawgs are going to need everything they have Monday. The good news is they have everything they need.

Go ‘dawgs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1, SouthernDawg, growl

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #78163 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts

Buc wrote: SouthernDawg, I am all in on this . . . .

Could not get Special Teams play out of my mind.

Reflecting on the way our Special Teams are coached today, small wonder we are "more" successful than prior years.

"Once upon a time" famous beginning for many quotes and bedtime stories can now be placed on previous years lack of addressing Special Teams. There was a lot of "lip service" about Special Team improvement on its way, just never happened until Smart arrived.

Previous years (before Smart) our best athletes were not a part of punt and kickoff teams. One of the reasons given at the time was the fear of injuries. When I think about that, comes down to not having the "depth" or foresight to run that part of the "tactical operation".

Just touching on some "changes" that I and others have noticed. The way football is played today, not like many years past. S&C has totally changed the way modern football is played, 5, 10, 20 or 50 years ago.

Much more could be said about Special Teams, and should be addressed by those that really appreciate the "overall" play and coaching that we have watched since the coaching change.

One play in particular and there are many more . . . . Kickoff recovery by Tae Crowder against Oklahoma prior to the first half ending.

Just looking at the overall folks.

Go Dawgs ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
6 years 3 months ago #78164 by SouthernDawg
Replied by SouthernDawg on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts

Buc wrote:

Buc wrote: SouthernDawg, I am all in on this . . . .

Could not get Special Teams play out of my mind.

Reflecting on the way our Special Teams are coached today, small wonder we are "more" successful than prior years.

"Once upon a time" famous beginning for many quotes and bedtime stories can now be placed on previous years lack of addressing Special Teams. There was a lot of "lip service" about Special Team improvement on its way, just never happened until Smart arrived.

Previous years (before Smart) our best athletes were not a part of punt and kickoff teams. One of the reasons given at the time was the fear of injuries. When I think about that, comes down to not having the "depth" or foresight to run that part of the "tactical operation".

Just touching on some "changes" that I and others have noticed. The way football is played today, not like many years past. S&C has totally changed the way modern football is played, 5, 10, 20 or 50 years ago.

Much more could be said about Special Teams, and should be addressed by those that really appreciate the "overall" play and coaching that we have watched since the coaching change.

One play in particular and there are many more . . . . Kickoff recovery by Tae Crowder against Oklahoma prior to the first half ending.

Just looking at the overall folks.

Go Dawgs ;)

Agreed. Totally agreed. It has been a refreshing breath of fresh air to see our kicks regularly going out of the end zone for touchbacks. We all knew that we needed a dedicated special teams coach for years and one never came. Pooch kicks and no return blocking is a thing of the past. I was beyond impressed in the Rose Bowl at how there was a face full of dawg in Oklahoma's punt returner before he could even think about anything beyond a fair catch call. That type of special teams is what wins championships. There is no doubt that our special teams has played a foundational role in why this season went the way it did.

On a side note...

www.dawgnation.com/football/anatomy-of-a...s-landed-kirby-smart

Pouty writes this piece and is getting lambasted for a "smear job" and a "hit piece" on CMR. What say you guys? I'll reserve my opinion until I hear yours just to get the conversation started. Was this piece necessary & appropriate, or was it below the belt? Keep in mind, when CMR was canned, Pouty was not on the bandwagon at the time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1

More
Time to create page: 0.043 seconds