Forum

More Change in Culture

6 years 6 months ago #77169 by LimeyDawg
More Change in Culture was created by LimeyDawg
So, we gave up four scores. Meh. Normally, this would be pause for concern, but I saw a couple of things tonight that added to my feeling that we are seeing a,great change in Athens.

Let's face it, we put up Xbox numbers tonight. We also saw the emergence of Air Fromm. If there were any concerns about Jake's ability to sling the pig, I think this game put many if those to rest.

Now, the secondary got exposed in the first half. To be fair, though, Missouri has a solid passing game. However, what impressed me was the way both sides of the ball stepped up. The second half was pretty much lights out. No more huge plays on the defense, and the offense ground the life out of the tigers. I saw, or rather heard, something in a post game interview with Roquan Smith and Sony Michel that confirmed the idea of a culture shift. Rather than tout the O or D performance, both of these DGDs spoke of how each unit felt the need to support the other when one struggled. I'm not sure if I've heard this before. It's humility. Synergy. The concept of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts. This seems to be a message being spoon fed to these men. It w was refreshing.

I'm reluctant to give in to the giddiness I feel building from what I see in Athens. However, I feel it time to put aside the notion of token changes, and replace it with the realization that this team is firmly on the road to greatness. It may not be this year, but our time is coming.

"The freedom of individuals to verbally to oppose or to challenge police actions without thereby risking arrest is one of the principal characteristics by which we distinguish a free nation from a police state."
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, thriller, Buc, yankeedawg1, SouthernDawg, growl

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• LimeyDawg
  • Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
6 years 6 months ago #77170 by ogredawg
Replied by ogredawg on topic More Change in Culture
Yep great 2nd half. We are getting there

thecountrynation.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, yankeedawg1, growl

More
6 years 6 months ago #77171 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic More Change in Culture
Remembering the many comments that were often made about halftime corrections or lack of for many years prior to 2017.

Change has reached Athens and it was time, actually past time.

What I see that has dramatically changed our program is a head coach that was given an open end way of “changing” the same mistakes of the past.

For instance the second half of the Missouri game. Missouri ran the same pass patterns in the second half that were so rewarding in the first half. Basically the time spent in the locker room prior to the third quarter, do not believe it was butt chewing, it was the continued “process” of “teaching”. Results speak for themselves, and that was proven in the second half.

Coach Kirby Smart came home to change the backward thinking ways of the past. He did not accept the head coaching job because it was where he spent his college playing days. Kirby accepted the job with the promise that there would be no “handcuffs” from those that still remain above him that have been a serious drawback to improving Georgia Football.

First member on this board that pleaded the case for hiring Kirby Smart was averagedawg. Took a while but averagedawg’s nomination proved to be the medicine needed to cure the ills all of us suffered for too long. Our program had reached a point of no return in my mind around 2010 or so.

What follows the Missouri game, can’t say for sure, would wager however that the serious recruiting and practice field/classroom “teaching” started when Coach Smart arrived.

Will make the comment that some of the board members have expressed . . . . Do I think we are on Alabama’s level, not yet, not sure when, but I have a belief that we will be at some point. Do not see “our program” going through the “roller coaster ride(s)” that were so dominant in the past, meaning much further back than the earlier 15 years.

Nice to watch the sunrise again, and also nice to watch the sunset after a serious tuneup took place in Athens with the arrival of a head coach that “runs” the football program.

Allow me this . . . . Ever wonder why we have been so successful on the recruiting trail, especially after going 8-4 the first year of the Smart program? Says to me that the young men see something up close and personal that had been missing in the Classic City. One of the main ingredients that is not being overlooked is . . . . FANS. FAN base is not being taken for granted anymore. Some higher on the totem pole than Coach Smart have been whittled down to size.

Much needed rest for the players this coming week, coaches under Smart get no rest, always looking for the next young men that will continue to participate in the “Process”.

Good read LimeyDawg. Spot on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, LimeyDawg, yankeedawg1, DAWGtm, growl

More
6 years 6 months ago #77172 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic More Change in Culture
Sunday morning in Athens after a huge win....forget the score yardage...Mizzou gave us a teachable

Game...... dose of anti-rat poison......players will get a week to heal and learn....

Class on Monday..... goods reads post game...

Nope nothing changed in Athens.....nada.....

Stay safe.....enjoy the feeling....Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, LimeyDawg

More
6 years 6 months ago #77173 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic More Change in Culture
Ah... remember last year when sime had lost hope in Kirby Smart after half a season? Ah.. good times.

We’ve still got to get some things cleaned up. We just overwhelmed a Mizzou team with jot a lot of depth on D, but that isn’t what we will face in a couple of weeks.

I’m not sure we can just keep leaning on the D and having our RB’s bust off big runs out of our 5 play run playbook. We also need to clean up mistakes.. when the going gets tougher soon, we can’t be committing multiple silly penalties in the same series like we did Saturday. Sounds funny after
scoring 53, but my concern is still with the O. We’re not fooling anyone out there. I literally think we use about 9 total plays for 98% of our game plan and the rest of our oppponents are not going to be like Mizzou.

Now this thread however is about a culture change, and that is so very true. A lot of us were upset that Blankenship wasn’t put on scholarship early on, but look at the result now. I will guarantee you that Eason would have come back and started as soon as healed in our old culture, and no knock on Eason... but look at things now. There are no more foolish promises or cutting off the nose to spite the face here. Each week is an internal competition and “players” play.

There is a whole new attitude in the Classic City, and you can see it and feel it.

Go Dawgs..

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, LimeyDawg, yankeedawg1, growl

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #77174 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic More Change in Culture
Found this to be interesting . . . .

#89 Charlie Woerner not only playing but in the pass routes and Fromm tossing in that direction. Further makes me think that the way practice goes, so goes Saturday playing time. Has been mentioned by Smart and earlier Pruitt that is a "must". Not the easiest thing for a quarterback to do when passing to different players, speed, height, route running, etc. Another feather in Fromm's cap, seems to adjust to different personnel.

There are those remaining on our schedule that will double down on taking our scalp. Those that will not be invited to the meeting with Alabama in ATL will put special importance on Georgia. There are some coaching jobs definitely on the line (elsewhere). Good, from where I sit, been a long time since UGA has drawn this kind of respect. One thing for sure . . . . gators and tigers have no love for the Bulldogs. Not overlooking Kentucky or GT, have grown over the years to dislike the gators and tigers as much as they dislike us. Folks in Florida starting to push for SS to return. Comes down to this for me . . . . Kirby Smart has the SEC's attention . . . . undivided attention.

The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, LimeyDawg, yankeedawg1, growl

More
Time to create page: 0.034 seconds