Forum

From Athens- Friday Thoughs

6 years 11 months ago #76468 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughs

yankeedawg1 wrote: Yes i am but a newbie of seven years....

Saying we could always recruit is some what misleading...we use to shotgun recruit scooping up

What we could net and those who wanted to come to Athens...

Clearly the difference in my mind is we target needs first...very laser. Like... quality depth building

Both short and long term needs..... also geared to letting the recruit be themselves....

Dual threat QB don't try to make him a pro drop back QB....

IMHO..... line of thinking is why some are looking just at last season results when reflecting about

Any changes in our program......15 years of CMR. will do that.... Go Dawgs

First line above is spot on yankeedawg1. Took some folks a while to understand the word "shotgun recruiting". Not the previous coaching staff alone. Media hyped the "5 Stars", kept the "clicks" moving in their direction.

Third line above also spot on. Depth. This board and several of those that post here posted the word "Depth" often. That started around 2010 or there about. Depth at positions that did not have a chance such as the offensive line was ignored from where I sit. Again, this board spoke on the subject of offensive and defensive lines more times than I can or could count. Now, meaning in the past year or so, many sites and the media are "all about offensive lines". Often I cannot help but smile and ask this question . . . . You now understand the game, where were you through most of the years prior to this coaching staff? A handful on this board were all over the need for the offensive line, more so than the defensive line.

Here is hoping that the changes you suggest above are changed for the better yd1. I still hold true to the words that our previous head coach said/used when taking the job in Miami, not forgotten . . . . He said that he was going back to "work", missed "coaching". Words that were understood long before he made his way back to another several million dollar job.

Still hear this "garbage" on some blog sites and the media . . . . Previous head coach won a lot of games while in Athens. Bet this . . . . with the talent that plays high school football in the State of Georgia, had Nick Saban or "hate to say this" urban crier meyer" been our head coach the past 15 years . . . . not hard to understand that the topics here and elsewhere would not be facing Georgia today. . . . . Simple answer and now it comes down to COACHING. Mahogany Row will always be a political bubble.

Head Coach Kirby Smart, some of us, the FANS, have our eyes and ears wide open. You were offered the job, you accepted. Here is hoping that the Red and Black is ready for what I believe to be a game that must be and will be a "test" for UGA Football and some of our future success . . . . Notre Dame.

Go Dawgs, Coach Them Up . . . . ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1, growl

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #76469 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughs
Agree.....litmus test....early in South Bend..... big stage....prime time....

Good read Buc.... thanks for your sage thoughts.....

I Was at Stegman for HS graduation....up close to IPF...... impressive....as was the renovation of

Stegman....first time inside since the upgrade....

Yes Georgia has had it's issues in the athletics programs...as others have.... so more than we have

Fact.....the sky is not falling in the Classic City..... Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, growl

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
6 years 11 months ago #76470 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughs
yankeedawg1, seems sometimes the circuit between the light switch and the current reaching the bulb takes more than a simple tug on the cord or the wall switch repair. Probably not a good comparison, does make sense to me. Over too many seasons in Athens the simple repair was not and to this point not fully fixed. Making strides, just confuses the heck out of me as to why any group sitting on a board controlling the largest money maker in Athens would become so laid back or . . . . several reasons could be given as to why things are and have been too slow in being "fixed". Previous head coach admitted he had gone to sleep at the wheel. My guess is and I believe this to be true, Mahogany Row had been the main source when referring to getting the job done. Many of the universities in the SEC long ago had completed the job that Jeremy Pruitt forced the "leaders" in Athens to do.

Have not said this before about the Indoor Practice Facility, and have said a lot since the shovels hit the dirt with guess who grinning from ear to ear and then this . . . . Georgia is going to have the best Indoor Practice Facility in college football. After years of neglect, Public Relations arose to try and save the "leaders" bottoms for their lack of foresight. Some or much of that remains. Amusing reading and watching the "leaders" now tossing out tons of information on the DOLLARS being spent.

McGarity is a "bean counter", do not mean that to piss anyone off that quite frankly "counts beans". My problem with McGarity is the way he "counts beans". My belief is anyone that believes McGarity is the answer to our Athletic Program is still caught up in the way "OUR PROGRAM" has been poorly ran for many years.

Agree with you that the sky is not falling in Athens, just have a hard time accepting the "leaders" second rate thought pattern(s).

ESPN is having problems, anyone looking at the many different faces that have recently arrived in Connecticut? Some of the more established faces have departed for FOX and other areas. Anyone believe that the Indoor Practice Facility would be located in Athens had not the SEC tossed the big bucks out? I would wager not. "Leaders" would do well to take a close look at themselves . . . . Foot soldiers I refer to as FANS are closer to the problems such as nasty bathrooms and other problems that still face our university.

Greg McGarity making over a half million dollars a year, should send at least $250,00 dollars special delivery to Coach Jeremy Pruitt. Jeremy Pruitt, a foot soldier that put UGA back on the tracks. The same Jeremy Pruitt that would have taken the Head Coaching job had McGarity not been the Athletic Director. That is not knocking Kirby Smart, Kirby's time is now. Hoping that Kirby gets the job done, cannot do it by himself. Did not take Nick Saban long to re-enlist Pruitt's coaching services. Some "leaders" understand what "leader" means.

Good Day . . . . ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #76473 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic ha
yankeedawg1, a while back, quite a while back on one of your BPS, Trey Hill was brought up as a "center" priority for the Red and Black. I believe from the time he commits to UGA he will be our next "center". On top of that Trey will spend many years in the NFL at the same position.

For those that think the 2018 Recruits will fall below expectations, you and I need to sit at the same poker table. 2018 Recruiting Board is going to "light up", not just "numbers", been through that in the last 15 or so years, maybe last 20 or 30 years.

Many sites mention that Alabama is a run first football team. This old dawg does not have a problem with that, if you can't run, for damn sure your passing game will get your quarterback killed or the win/loss will not be a pretty picture.

Start with Kirby Smart and his hiring of coaches. One coach for sure has changed UGA Football in my opinion, not hard to figure that out if reading posts on this board . . . . Coach Sam Pittman. Many offensive line coaches understand the game, not all can get into the hearts and minds of the "recruits" . . . . needed to move a program forward. I have not a single doubt that Coach Sam Pittman is a 7($,$$$,$$$) figure coach. Say again, do not need to play with commas, sometimes do . . . . Sam Pittman is exactly the type coach that "successful programs" are built on. Sam is a "mortar and brick" coach, this old dawg believes that Coach Smart understands what is needed, even if he has to fall a bit short in other coaching areas. Smart's first Head Coaching gig.

If Sam continues to recruit while he remains in the Classic City, based on what he has done thus far, WOW.

From where I sit, Trey Hill, never, never have I wanted an offensive lineman at the position I hope you will play (center) for "our" team. Money will always be there, reason for that . . . . you are Trey Hill and no one can take that away from you.

Took the University of Georgia decades to understand just how important offensive line play is. Want to pass this along, many years back ogredawg was saying the same things that I am repeating now. Really glad that others have hitched their wagons to "real SEC Football".

Leave this post with this . . . . Kicking/Punting game is as important as a "mean ass center" . . . . believe that.

Good Day :)

www.dawgnation.com/football/recruiting/u...ws-likes-athens#free

EDIT: Had to come back with this "pull" for the article above . . . .

WARNER ROBINS, Ga. — Trey Hill is approaching 5-star status. He’s rated as the nation’s No. 2 guard prospect (247Sports Composite) for 2018.

This is not a shot at the author of the AJC article, more to the "stuff" that some on our board bring up on occasion . . . . "If Trey Hill is a 4 Star Athlete", ranked as the #2 Guard in the nation . . . . WHAT? My WHAT is . . . . where the "SPIT" do "THEY" find their "STARS". Trey Hill and many others understand the "SPIT". Bet that.

247sports.com/Player/Trey-Hill-85408
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
6 years 10 months ago #76474 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic ha
Buc we both know and understand why Ben Jones had the moniker..."Boss".....

Found his way to NE and a Super Bowl ring..... Trey will bring a posse with him to Athens..

Heads yacking away... about UGA decommits and lack of numbers for Class of 2018...

18. will be like 2017... starting slow....rocking toward NSD.... Go Dawgs

Surprises.... will wear the "G"

Go Dawgs!

• yankeedawg1
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
6 years 10 months ago #76475 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic ha
A mind is a horrible thing too lose.... trying to think two thoughts and ran them together..

David Andrews won a Super Bowl ring with NE and is the "Boss"...

My bad...... Trey Hill will surpass both.. Stone Mountain will be awesome in the middle of

CSP..... OL. Go Dawgs....

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: growl

• yankeedawg1
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds