Forum

From Athens - Friday Thoughts

7 years 2 months ago #76238 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens - Friday Thoughts
yd1, Erk gave the University of Georgia everything that he had and then some. Both of us know that he won't have the IPF carrying his name out front. Just hope that there is enough "courage" on Mahogany Row to pay "some respect" to Erk. Left more blood and guts in Athens than any coach I can think of. Not surprising . . . . that was truly the "Georgia Way" during that period.

Since you mentioned Erk, yd1, will post the link below that covers much of what happened to Erk and the way he was treated by those that had their heads up their rear ends. That includes VD as I have said more than once.

www.si.com/vault/1981/11/09/826091/all-s...ing-a-whole-new-team

Gone but not forgotten, Sir. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #76239 by Buc
Read the article below for the first time today 2/11/2017. Avoided it because of the National Title talk. Broke down and read the article.

Have never been more surprised when reading what UGA followers have to say about the content.

This talk has been going on for far too long, many recognize the holes in such talk, especially since the last National Championship that found its way to Athens.

Pleases me that the direction of chatter has focused on what could be referred to as the "truth".

Very little if any agreement that "everything" has changed in many years. As many say in the article, "first time shame on you, second time shame on me".

There should be excitement in the way our program has "changed", not going through the motions of same play act four.

I am in agreement with ogredawg about our defense, we can play with anyone in the East defensively, not sure after that.

First full year of Smart and Company's feet on the ground. Had a couple of coaches move, I actually expect one more to leave probably after the 2017 Season. My thoughts, not ready to post who I believe that will be.

Again in agreement with ogredawg concerning Coach Chaney.

2017 Season, Coach Chaney has more talent offensively than many teams in the country. Would like to see him "step up" and make himself noticed for "his talent" in 2017. If not, Coach Smart will have some serious thinking to do.

Allow me this, again . . . . College Football is a "Business".

www.dawgnation.com/football/pff-georgia-...-national-title-2017

More
7 years 2 months ago #76240 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic From Athens - Friday Thoughts
Agree Buc.....year two..feet wet... everyone knows where the bathrooms are..... who's office has

The best coffee.. parking spots have been located...

Freshman are now enjoying a years experience..... Good coaches watch film to see how to improve

players and....themselves.....firmly believe CKS and his staff are very aware of their mistakes...

Repeating myself... CKS. First season is 24 months... in his first full recruiting class made the

final four...... have every reason to believe he is a year away from being a D.C....and we will see

a definite improvement...... we had gas pains over our lackluster season.... didn't hear many

Predicting last February we would have the recruiting success that we did...... Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
7 years 2 months ago #76241 by Buc
yankeedawg1, you said . . . . Repeating myself... CKS. First season is 24 months... in his first full recruiting class made the final four......

What really gets my attention with the comment is this . . . . Smart and Company's recruits. Past is past.

2017 forward, both coaching, recruiting and an eye on Mahogany Row belongs to Kirby Smart. He is now "officially" in the "big seat" in my opinion.

Will be a time for those of us that think Kirby is the right choice or those that think they know better to talk about.

Bet this . . . . not a single blade of grass will grow under the foot steps of "any" coaching hire in Athens. Leadership.

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #76242 by Buc
Never like a young player from the State of Georgia leaving Georgia.

Not the first time that has happened. We have lost in the recent past a couple of very good defensive tackles to Auburn, don't have to call the names, everyone here knows who they are. That however did not prevent the Red and Black from winning the recent games.

For me, goes to show that not one player is going to win a football game. Guess that is the reason it is called a "team game".

Has been said before, nothing wrong with saying again . . . . We now have a group of coaches that recruit the "overall team" . . . . no more of the "flash and dash BS".

In the recent past have watched talented players riding the pines, not a thought was given to "depth" and that is a fact. Too much turmoil or not understanding for too many years in Athens.

From where I sit, it was high time or past time for the University of Georgia to "grow up" on the football field. Many of those that still have a bone to pick with the release of the previous head coach have found themselves in the minority and their voices are not near as loud as they once were.

Defense is not going to be a problem in Athens, yes I believe that.

What I think needs to be "fixed" is our kicking/punting game and an offensive coordinator that "realizes" just how much talent there is in Athens. Now for sure, but there has always been a load of talent on the offensive side of the ball . . . . problem? . . . . Offensive coaches that do not . . . . some might not like this word . . . . "PROCESS".

Will ask again. What prevented UGA Football from progressing in the past years? Could it be coaching? AM leaves two different summers to study with other coaches. Willie Martinez was released "again" after a short stint in Tennessee. grantham now coaching at his second university since leaving UGA. What happened to Richt getting involved "deeply" in the kicking game? Why was Willie Martinez ever promoted to defensive coordinator? Folks in Colorado are not happy with Mike Bobo, and that happiness after the hiring is fast leaving the State of Colorado.

If Smart and Company do not move forward at a quick pace, especially when looking over their recruiting progress, there are those of us on the "outside" that will speak up.

Coach Them Up . . . . They are on campus. :whistle:

God Bless Quentin Moses. :(
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1, DAWGtm

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #76243 by Buc
Watching video like the one below, makes me question (again) why not have Jacob Eason taking long snaps. We have two that will start, and serious talent behind Nick and Sony that are far above regular backs.

Understand that our offensive line was not the best group on our team, but they were not "cream puffs". Like it or not . . . . we beat Auburn. That always mean "much" to me.

One thing that I do know and understand, some of the reasoning with Eason taking snaps under center, he did not recognize formations, our center did. Another reason to have someone snapping the ball more than one or two years, experience. Sam Pittman has mentioned that and I believe what is said above is part of his reasoning. Meaning . . . . wanting to have a center that is in position for more than one or two years, do not have to play a short time "guessing game" as to who should snap. Realize I keep chirping about the center position, you played the game you understand. You study the game you understand. Thank goodness we have a coach that truly understands offensive line play . . . . Coach Sam Pittman.

If our quarterback is comfortable, team feeds off of that comfort.

So, Isaiah McKenzie departed for the NFL (High fives to Isaiah) . . . . when looking at the formations ran on the video below, does it not make sense to look closely, who the heck knows, might learn and profit from watching what others do with their quarterback. Someone, anyone explain to me why we cannot have Nick and Sony running some of the same formations that are in the video . . . . HIGH SCHOOL VIDEO. Sometimes we have to "shout" to be "heard".

The two quarterbacks in the Super Bowl were not under the centers butt. Much has been made of the incoming class. There are players in Athens now that should be a step or two above their high school efforts. If not, WTF is going on . . . .

Would love to have Zamir White wearing the Red and Black. Sam Pittman completes what "he" wants done in the next two years, there will be many throughout the "Country" that will play in the SEC and in Athens.

More
Time to create page: 0.047 seconds