Forum

From Athens - Friday Thoughts

7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #76232 by yankeedawg1
From Athens - Friday Thoughts was created by yankeedawg1
Good Day All,
It has been an interesting post NSD week.

First…another acknowledgement to our HC and his staff’s recruiting effort this signing period. Well done…

Over the past few week there has been an increase of conversation that makes the case that having a larger number of 4 and 5 star recruits will reflect how successful a football program becomes. Key is to have them in successive years.

It has been stated here that we need to have the horses…. Which IMHO is an accurate statement….. coaching can just do so much…. The players have to have talent to be developed….. and for the most part size and weight….. we all have seen what we think is talent wasted or under used in Athens…… I am sure it has happened in other programs…. Truly hope we can put these actions behind us….

It is also pointed out that Alabama’s run of NC are supported by having the number one recruiting class year after year to sustain player depth and skill levels.

The disclaimer is having a quarterback like Clemson did this year…. Which is the exception rather than the rule….

ABH today had a article praising Sam Pittman as the lead dog who hauled in our six new OL players….. a very good thing

Since the new coaching staff arrival I have learned just how much effort and detail goes into college recruiting….. amazing……

Totally agree HC does not hide behind his desk waiting for recruits to come knocking on his door…. A very good thing….

2018….. G – game……April 22nd Saturday at 2pm….. SEC Network will broadcast…..

Last lunch with Boss Dawg we kicked the idea of a Dawgs.com tailgate gathering…. Have a few months to toss ideas around…. Interest???

Pause and give thanks

Have a great weekend and a safe week…

As always “Go Dawgs” !!!

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, DAWGtm, growl

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #76233 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens - Friday Thoughts
yankeedawg1, I am a believer in good things happen to good people. Say that for this reason and point in time.

As you mentioned in the BPS, Coach Sam Pittman has done more than I had come to expect from the UGA coaching staff over the years. Pittman understands what "his" duties are. That has not always been the case in Athens. Far from the normal in Athens. Also believe this . . . . Coach Pittman is doing more than recruiting solely on size. No denying his history points to "big" on the offensive line. Sam Pittman also understands what is necessary to speak with "talented big men". To a player that Pittman has recruited they say they believe Coach Pittman will get the best out of them. Most want to enter into the NFL. Will be interesting to see just how many offensive linemen are drafted by the NFL while Sam Pittman is the offensive line coach.

Much is being said about the incoming group in 2017, as it should be, has never been like this before as far as I know. Also there are some players in Athens that want to play, not going to back away from competition. Solomon Kindley and Ben Cleveland are large men, have a year on campus practicing under Coach Pittman. yd1, the more I look at the roster, seems to me that we are more than half way home with our offensive line. Not too far into the 2017 Season, our offensive and defensive lines are going to face off with each other, with the "suggested talent" have to believe we will be closer than half way.

Go Dawgs, Coach'em Up . . . . :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
7 years 2 months ago #76234 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic From Athens - Friday Thoughts
Great points Buc...

We already know that HC believes in ones vs ones in practice....as you correctly noted both sides

Get better....... also believe good players feed off each other.... stud passer will bring talent to catch

The ball... strong OL.... RB's want to play behind.... success brings more success.....

Confidence is contagious......

Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

• yankeedawg1
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
7 years 2 months ago #76235 by Buc
Reflecting back on Andrews and now he is a Super Bowl Champion.

When Andrews first lined up against a really big defensive front in Athens, he was getting the short end of the stick for a while. I admire Andrews for putting his nose to the grindstone and playing solid football for UGA and his NFL team. Started for Belichick, not everyone can do that.

One of the reasons I post the above . . . . I am hoping that Coach Pittman can find a player that can give him/us more than one or two years at center. If I were a betting man, would bet he will do just that. Center position stabilized, goes a long way in producing a solid offensive line. Sam recently mentioned that he was hoping to find a young man that can and will do just that. Georgia will improve in 2017, 2018 has the possibilities of being a team that will get the attention of many outside the Classic City.

Go Dawgs :)

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #76236 by Buc
Have a suggestion for a name that played a huge part in the constructing of the Indoor Practice Facility . . . . however will not be ugly. Most of us know what happened in Athens to have the IPF move forward. :whistle:

Public Relations Group I suspect chose the February 14, 2017 date. Valentine for all of us.

www.georgiadogs.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/021017aab.html

More
7 years 2 months ago #76237 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic From Athens - Friday Thoughts
Love to have our IPF .....named ... Russell Indoor Athletic Facility...

We recognize Dan McGill and rightly so..... just dreaming.....

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

• yankeedawg1
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.031 seconds