Forum

From Athens- Game Day Friday # 6

7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #75113 by SouthernDawg
Replied by SouthernDawg on topic From Athens- Game Day Friday # 6
Scooby,

You're partially right in your assessment. But one thing is not being mentioned by any of the talking heads in the toilet paper of record, and it bears me mentioning it again here.

The defense of Kirby isn't some honeymoon, rose-colored glasses, orgasmic euphoria that we all have for him. The reason for our defense of him is that we understand that the problem really is that we do not have the required type of players to run Kirby's system. As I've said before, Kirby runs a pro-style offense where he is fully committed to the ground game and expects his tailback to carry it as many times a game as his body will allow. Without the type of players required to run that system, that dawg don't hunt. On the defensive side of the ball, we have seen predominately two different defenses depending on whether or not the opposing team runs a spread offense. For spread, he wants to run a modified "quarters" defense with a three-under zone. He called this "cat coverage" at Bama and its used to try to slow the spread down. When the opposing team runs a pro-style or pro-style flex offense, he runs single-high coverages in cover 3 or man-free defenses.

The problem with those two systems is that we, for the last 15 years, have run two completely different defenses and offenses from the system Kirby runs. We recruited radically different players because the former coach ran a pro-style flex offense and recruited accordingly. Until the arrival of Pruitt, we mainly ran a 3-4 under Grantham. (I stop at Grantham because no remaining player on the defense was recruited prior to Grantham).

So it's ridiculous to think that Kirby's defensive mind is struggling to put things together because he simply forgot how to coach defense and we're overlooking his ineptitude because he's in the "honeymoon period." That's absurd. The real problem we have is exactly the problem he laid out on day one - we need depth and we need size to run his system.

We're going to get it - just not this year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1, growl, scooby

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #75114 by scooby
Replied by scooby on topic From Athens- Game Day Friday # 6
You make some good points sd.

I just know this place would be blowing up if mr had barely beat Nichols, got killed at ole miss, and lost after winning vs tenn.

Me personally, not sure if Kirby is nick2 or boom2. There is really a fine line between them. Boom could build a dynasty at usc. All hinges on recruiting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SouthernDawg

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #75115 by SouthernDawg
Replied by SouthernDawg on topic From Athens- Game Day Friday # 6

scooby wrote: You make some good points sd.

I just know this place would be blowing up if mr had barely beat Nichols, got killed at ole miss, and lost after winning vs tenn.

In year 15, yes we would. In year 1, no we wouldn't.

scooby wrote: Me personally, not sure if Kirby is nick2 or boom2. There is really a fine line between them. Boom could build a dynasty at usc. All hinges on recruiting.

As much as I dislike Muschump, I'm not taking him lightly at SC.

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #75116 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens- Game Day Friday # 6
After 5 p.m. on Friday afternoon, loss of power sure makes one wonder about how lucky we truly are. Many of my thoughts went to all of the problems in Louisiana over a long period. Same for the destruction in New Jersey. When Mother Nature steps in, she rules.

Reading some really good "stuff" in this thread. Nothing surprises me more on this board than those that do not put their "foot/feet in the water".

I have thoughts also of a member that lives in the JAX area that has been away for a while. Say this, just went through Matthew, thoughts are with you wlayton.

Thanks to everyone, glad to be back, might be hard to "shut" me up.

Stop with this . . . . ogredawg said . . . . Muschump would be 4-0 at the U. Lol ogredawg and averagedawg, best one liners in the football business. :whistle:

:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1, SouthernDawg, scooby

More
7 years 6 months ago #75117 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens- Game Day Friday # 6

Buc wrote: After 5 p.m. on Friday afternoon, loss of power sure makes one wonder about how lucky we truly are. Many of my thoughts went to all of the problems in Louisiana over a long period. Same for the destruction in New Jersey. When Mother Nature steps in, she rules.

Reading some really good "stuff" in this thread. Nothing surprises me more on this board than those that do not put their "foot/feet in the water".

I have thoughts also of a member that lives in the JAX area that has been away for a while. Say this, just went through Matthew, thoughts are with you wlayton.

Thanks to everyone, glad to be back, might be hard to "shut" me up.

Stop with this . . . . ogredawg said . . . . Muschump would be 4-0 at the U. Lol ogredawg and averagedawg, best one liners in the football business. :whistle:

:)

The following user(s) said Thank You: scooby

More
7 years 6 months ago #75118 by scooby
Replied by scooby on topic From Athens- Game Day Friday # 6
Buc, I hit you with another thank you. Glad to see you posting sir. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1, SouthernDawg

More
Time to create page: 0.035 seconds