Forum

Why Eason is the QB

7 years 8 months ago #74101 by growl
Replied by growl on topic Why Eason is the QB
sflanagan21 to be sure GL was a huge mistake, sucked the wind right out of several very good QB prospects, and I'm including FB and BR. Still can't believe that we got Richted like that and to top it off Shottied also. I know clearer heads will prevail at UGA for at least a couple more years.

GO DAWGS!!!!!GATA

The sun shines on a different Dawg every day
The following user(s) said Thank You: sflanagan21

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #74102 by thriller
Replied by thriller on topic Why Eason is the QB
I'm in favor of putting Eason in NOW. Here's why:

1. He's inexperienced. Now how could that POSSIBLY play to his favor? Because if we don't play him this year, he'll be inexperienced NEXT year too. I do NOT want to watch a redshirt season eaten away by late game starts that do nothing more than solidify a certain loss, or make me wish we had started him. Play him NOW. FORCE him to take his lumps and grow up FAST. I hate to say it, but we aren't winning any championships this year, either way.

2. He's better than any other QB we've got, experience or no. I may have only watched the spring game (that Eason played in), but I saw enough to KNOW that he can't mess up a game any worse than the other guys on the team.

3. As high as my expectations for BR were when he came here, he AIN'T the guy. His decision making ability is horrific. Go back and watch the Louisville bowl game, and any OTHER game he played in for that matter. His accuracy is amateur, even if his arm strength is okay. But mostly, his head work is abysmal. He's number 3 in a field of 3.

4. Lambert lost his job at UVA for a good reason, and got his job at UGA for a BAD one. "Experience" is wonderful, if you are a good QB. But if you are a BAD QB, then "experience" is a negative trait. He's not even that good of a "game manager". Possibly worst of all, he is CONSISTENT! Look at his stats from one year to the next . . . his QB rating is terrible, every single year. What is the advantage of starting him? So we can watch more of what we saw LAST YEAR? And more of what UVA saw for SEVERAL YEARS prior? SMH.

So do I think we'll beat UNC? I hate to say it, but probably not. That's a legitimately good football team, and we are very young. Boise State, anyone? For that matter - and most know that I'm not usually pessimistic about football seasons - I think we're PROBABLY going to go 8-4. Losses to UNC, Ole Miss, Tennessee and either Florida or Abuurn. If we do better than that, I'll be PLEASANTLY surprised. I want more, but I do not EXPECT more.

Play the kid, let him take his lumps in a learning year. Then, when he is no longer a "rookie" (which will happen shortly after the Tennessee game), he will be "seasoned" for one final year of Chubb and Michel. 2017 is our championship season, NOT 2016. Let's prepare NOW.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, DAWGtm, SouthernDawg, growl, sflanagan21

More
7 years 8 months ago #74103 by growl
Replied by growl on topic Why Eason is the QB
Thriller you hit the nail on the head. I think GL and BR should keep the bench warm and pull mop up

The sun shines on a different Dawg every day
The following user(s) said Thank You: thriller

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #74104 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Why Eason is the QB
Good points from many angles and would have to add this . . . .

Our offensive line has been nothing better than mediocre. For years.

Offensive line talk started on Dawgs.com, was quickly picked up by the media when all of a sudden the "truth" was being told. Now there is offensive line recruiting talk everywhere. ogredawg was spot on many years back on this subject. FACT.

2015 offensive line was nothing short of a disaster. Good thing we had some less than "ok teams" on our schedule.

Did not have a clue to who our starting center would be. STARTING CENTER . . . . in the SEC, wow just wow.

AM was nearly broken in half more than just the Auburn Game when dirty tactics were used. AM was "told" by the head coach and the offensive coordinator to "stay in the pocket". Nothing like staying in the pocket and being driven into the turf by some studs that like to chew on raw meat.

Back to our starting center this year. Kublanow said publicly that he could not play fast in 2015 because he did not have the position down pat. Wow! Also said he is "prepared" to play fast in 2016. What a difference a year makes, eh . . . .

Simply this from where I stand . . . . Head Coach Kirby Smart will make that decision along with Offensive Coordinator Jim Chaney. Finally two football men that know how they want to "build" the Red and Black.

Do something intelligent like recruiting such as Coach Sam Pittman is doing now, something like building the Great Wall of China. While that wall was effective once upon a time, not now, but we have needed "wall building" not "patching the holes" for x number of years.

Last time I looked . . . . still not set on our offensive line. Fault of Pittman, do not believe that for a minute. Fix that and many young men can play the quarterback position.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thriller, sflanagan21

More
7 years 8 months ago #74105 by Buc

More
7 years 8 months ago #74106 by sflanagan21
Replied by sflanagan21 on topic Why Eason is the QB
Thriller, if Ramsey can't pull together in the next 24 days and prove that he can lead the team then I believe Smart/Chaney start GL and run with him. I just don't think Eason is even close to being ready to be thrown into the starting role yet. It takes time to develop QB's, I know, the best way to learn is to let them play and make mistakes. But if Ramsey can get his mind right then he is more than capable of running the show with our backfield!

What I don't agree with you on is judging Eason's performance off the spring game. Those are glorified scrimmages that are script, granted his arm looked way better than BR and GL but he had NO idea when a blitz was coming and he would get eaten alive in a real game. Yea he'll figure that out with game experience but why put him threw it if we don't have to. I think Smart would start GL over JE for the mere fact of experience. The last thing we won't is for our future QB to have a serious injury when it could have been prevented with the right steps of allowing him to grow, develop and mature with meaningful snaps in the right scenarios.

There's a part of me that wants Smart to start Eason just because I don't want to ever see GL under center at UGA again but the last thing any coach wants is to start a QB that's not ready and chance him getting seriously hurt. I highly doubt Eason will start a single game this year but I've been known to be way off when it comes to about anything UGA football related haha.

Good discussion and I'm really enjoying being a part of it. No matter who is starting September 3rd can NOT come any faster for me!

More
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds