Forum

Why Eason is the QB

7 years 7 months ago #74038 by LimeyDawg
Why Eason is the QB was created by LimeyDawg
On the heels of my "Tempered Expectations" thread, I realize the irony of this. However, I just listened to this DawgNation podcast and couldn't agree more: www.dawgnation.com/football/dawgnation-d...ut-ugas-qb-situation

How good could we have been had we gotten a little more production out of the QB the past two seasons? Chubb, Michel and Gurley were off the chain, yet we fell short. I'm of the mind, and it goes to something Buck said in another thread about CKS looking at all the players, not just the stars (although not relevant here). There has to come a point at which you look at who is going to be the future of the team. Anyone remember the debacle at QB before Aaron Murray took over? At what point does the coaching staff say "hey, there might be a few hiccups, but let's roll with Eason."? We know what we get with Grayson Lambert. Deep in the headlights looks on each play and a noodle for an arm. Decision making? Come on. Brice Ramsey appears afraid to step into the shoes of his potential because, honestly, I though last season was the perfect opportunity for BR to shine and show why he was so highly touted.

Now we've got JE in the fold. G-Day game showed he was a gamer. Aaron Murray's game mind and accuracy with Matt Stafford's cannon. Sure, he's going to make mistakes, but he's got talent around him that can compensate for the Freshman season. CKS gave the coaches answer in that he'll start the player best for the team, but that player cannot be GL. It could be BR if he decided to unleash the beast, but the betting money is on Jacob Eason. Get the kid some reps. Let him make his mistakes early in his Freshman year, not his Sophomore outing.

"The freedom of individuals to verbally to oppose or to challenge police actions without thereby risking arrest is one of the principal characteristics by which we distinguish a free nation from a police state."
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, SouthernDawg, growl

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• LimeyDawg
  • Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #74046 by SouthernDawg
Replied by SouthernDawg on topic Why Eason is the QB
LimeyDawg,

You highlight the one thing that I simply will never understand about football politics. There always seems to be this built-in comfort with and respect given to the QB who has seniority and tenure over the incoming QB that everyone knows is the future - no matter how bad he is. If he was the starter, then that seems to be his position regardless of rain or shine. I have seen this time-and-time again over multiple programs. We've all certainly seen it at UGA over the years. The excuses given are that the QB that everyone knows needs replacing is more seasoned, has game day experience, and is more prepared to play in a real situation. There's more to it than that. No one wants to be benched as a Junior or Senior QB for an incoming freshman sensation. It truly is a vote of no confidence in the QB's ability to get the job done. But frankly, its time to face the facts, ugly as they are:

Our QB's were absolutely horrific last year. Brice Ramsey got demoted to be the friggin punter for crying out loud. Lambert had flashes of promise, but again, he is not the future of this program. I keep going back to that Alabama game. Try as he might, Lambert proved that he was not the guy for the job. If Eason comes out and lights it up, the clock starts ticking down to when he declares for the draft. At best, we've got him for three seasons. Star players are a very temporary commodity in college, and it's time we start squeezing every ounce of juice from day one if these guys if they are needed immediately. Eason is needed immediately, let's stop kidding ourselves. I for one do not want to see Eason "phased in" in blowout games and 4th quarters when the game is out of reach.

Put him in, let him take his lumps, and let him grow as the program grows. There will be a lot of growth in almost every area of this program this season, Eason might as well be one of them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, DAWGtm, growl

More
7 years 7 months ago #74047 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Why Eason is the QB
I believe this . . . .

If Offensive Coordinator Jim Chaney says that Jacob Eason should start, believe it will happen.

Kirby Smart is the "leader". Our leader chose Jim Chaney for a reason, that reason is the man knows what he is doing.

SouthernDawg in my opinion there was too much lacking in decision making for many years. Caused nothing but problems, both for players and coaches.

Coach Smart has emphasized 'LEADERSHIP" since his arrival. He mentions it still. Coaches have to lead and I believe we have a solid group of coaches that will do that.

Watching the G Day Game closely, more than once SouthernDawg, I would be the farm that what we saw called for Jacob Eason in the game is the overall game plan for Eason when the season starts.

Another really good read SouthernDawg. Bet many agree with your post.

Game film below, pick and choose what you want to watch.

The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, SouthernDawg

More
7 years 7 months ago #74048 by SouthernDawg
Replied by SouthernDawg on topic Why Eason is the QB

Buc wrote: SouthernDawg in my opinion there was too much lacking in decision making for many years. Caused nothing but problems, both for players and coaches.

I'll take you one further Buc.

I think decisions were made, because indecision is a decision. I think loyalties were placed above logic, accountability subordinated to affability, and the decisions all sprang from there. The program got totally out of control last year, and it's in progress of being brought back into control.

I agree that this season, we will see decisions. And I highly doubt that likability of a player will have little if anything to do with them unless it's a personal screw up off the field.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, Wartdawg

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #74049 by Buc
SouthernDawg, believe you have "aces" in the hole/hold. Will fold. You said . . . .

I think decisions were made, because indecision is a decision.

Hold my "chips" for later . . . . all in fun, but hard to "second guess" someone that has a "large stack", built on "understanding".

Odds can and do provide serious insight. Believe the odds have begun to swing in our direction (UGA). Say again, hope that the "message" Smart and Company are sending finds its way to those that need to watch rather than talk in the "press".

Couple of articles in the "large mullet wrapper" today that "they" use year after year, at the very least this is not the "first time". Get used to it reporters in ATL. Kirby Smart is all about FANS and FOOTBALL. Anyone wanting to read the "stuff" being passed by two reporters in ATL, it is out there to read. Same message by the "two" play with words slightly. All about the "clicks" eh . . . .

More
7 years 7 months ago #74050 by Buc
Couple of notes from the G Day Game . . . .

First . . . . those attending the "practice" this Saturday 8/6/2016 will not see the same "stuff" that the 93,000 FANS witnessed. This really is "practice". Believe that many will be there, but . . . .

Couple of things that I want to say after watching the "G Day Game".

Rodrigo was "big" in high school about the "distance" of his "kicks". He went so far as to show all of the "FANS" that he could kick a football over 50\70 yards through the uprights . . . . you tube.

Allow me this . . . . do not miss the "short stuff". Go back through the G Day Game and watch "wide right". Am I being ugly, maybe . . . . Young folks address themselves to youtube, but that is not the SEC.

Old Folks like myself . . . . not convinced that we have a kicker yet.

Coach from VT brought "us" a punter. SEC Football has always been about punting.

On this board, Dawgs.com has mentioned over the "years" . . . . in the SEC you cannot expect to finish at the TOP of the SEC without a kicking/punting game.

If you are not "sure" or have not been through just how important "foot on football" means in punting . . . . just read. Buc will post some "stuff" about the "subject" if you choose.

More
Time to create page: 0.033 seconds