Forum

Bulldog Moments

16 years 9 months ago #4986 by kentdaddy
Replied by kentdaddy on topic Re:Bulldog Moments
I think you are right wlayton on the TE in that UT game. The Auburn game from '02 is also a great call.

I remember from an angry side that game against UF where Zeier threw the game winning TD but had it called back because someone called a timeout. Replay showed the play had started. I was angry.

So many great memories that I play in my head and it always has Munsons voice.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 years 9 months ago #4987 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Re:Bulldog Moments
Yeah, that '93 UF game was a REAL hard one to swallow. What an unbelievable game in that downpour and mudslide. Man, both teams were passing the ball up and down the field in that mess.

PVBDAWG

More
16 years 9 months ago #4988 by DawgDoc
Replied by DawgDoc on topic Re:Bulldog Moments
:S :dry: :S :S I made a mistake in the receivers name. It was Bill Herron not Butch Hanson that caught Fran's pass. And yes he did draw that play up in the huddle. Just one of those senior moments I guess. As always, GO DAWGS!!!!!!!!!!!!! B) B) B) B)

Member since 1999

More
16 years 9 months ago #4990 by dapolla
Replied by dapolla on topic Re:Bulldog Moments
DawgDoc wrote:

Ole Thumping Thermon Sapp broke the drought in 1957 beating Tech at Grant Field and yes I was there.

Interesting side notes on Sapp's recovered fumble and subsequent nine(!) carries for the winning score in '57:

1) Theron Sapp is one of four (4!) Bulldogs who have ever had -- and will ever have -- their jerseys retired by the University, along with Frankie Sinkwich, Charlie Trippi and Herschel Walker. The reason his jersey is retired is because of that Tech game, which ended \"The Drought.\" Sapp was never even an All-American candidate, wasn't team captain until 1958, but had his jersey retired IMMEDIATELY, the year after he graduated, in 1959.

2) Bobby Dodd -- legendary Tech coach, for the uninformed -- said of Sapp, \"Walker won the national championship for Georgia and was awarded the Heisman Trophy, but to older Bulldogs who suffered through the 1950s, Sapp's breaking the drought was greater. He silenced eight years of bragging from Tech students and alumni. Breaking 'The Drought' was a remarkable achievement.\"

Incidentally, Dodd credits the next Georgia streak -- 1964-69 -- with retiring him.

By the way, DawgDoc, I was incorrect about Tarkenton vs. Texas being in 1960 under Johnny Griffith; it was actually in 1958 under Butts.

Red and Black, Win or Lose

• dapolla
  • dapolla's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
16 years 9 months ago #4991 by dapolla
Replied by dapolla on topic Re:Bulldog Moments
Okay, this is going to come off as if I'm about three months old, but I seriously think that my favorite \"moment,\" if you want to call it that, was last year's comeback over Va Tech. I mean, I was jumping up and down, stomping the floor, waking the kids...it was like we spotted them 18 points and then said, \"Okay, now we're going to take off the blindfold.\" Stafford was masterful, and it was as if the defense was simply walking up to Tech's wide receivers and saying, \"Let me catch this one, okay?\"

Even though we lost the game, the 2006 Sugar Bowl was also incredible. Down 28-0, we come back and lose 35-38? That's pretty damned impressive.

Last year's beatdown of Auburn was great, because it was the first full game I watched with my kids, both of them, all the way through. Of course, neither one got a nap because the 12:45 kickoff coincided with sleepytime, but who cares? Auburn is ranked #5 in the country, we're unranked, and 37-15? They can sleep on Sunday!

I also remember watching the 2003 Tennessee game on television while my in-laws (who reside just south of Nashville and root for Big Urnge) watched me. I'm a shameful fan in the privacy of my own home, jumping up and down, falling out of my overstuffed chair to watch a big play, throwing my hat across the room when we blow a coverage or fumble a ball, and drinking at least one beer per quarter. I had been married to their daughter for two years (exactly; we were married the day of the hobnail boot in 2001) and this was how I was acting? They must have been horrified; their daughter was pregnant, I was in grad school at UGA making $10,000 a year, and I acted a drunken fool once a week. But I'm not embarrassed by my actions at all, because we beat those Urnge Turds 41-14 in Neyland. I remember listening to the post-game show on the radio and Larry Munson says, \"All I can say about that game is forty-one is fourteen backwards.\"

Coming back against SCarolina, who had us down 16-0 at the half in 2004, was pretty special too.

Also, David Pollack's interception in the end-zone against SCarolina in 2002. Although she used more vulgar terminology, I remember my then-fiancee saying \"I bet you David Pollack is in the middle of a [girl] sandwich right now.\" I love that I married a woman like that.

Also, the entire bulk of Sanford Stadium chanting \"REG-GIE! REG-GIE! REG-GIE!\" as Reggie Ball left the playing field between the hedges for the last time, having handed us the ballgame one more time.

I know all of these wonderful memories are recent, but think of it this way: Mark Richt has only been our head coach for 6 years, and he has already provided us with a LIFETIME of memorable moments. I don't know about you, but I take that as a sign of GREAT things to come.

Red and Black, Win or Lose

• dapolla
  • dapolla's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
16 years 9 months ago #4992 by dawgs511
Replied by dawgs511 on topic Re:Bulldog Moments
One of mine was the play against GT I want to say 2003? When Greene held on to the ball and made it look like he handed it off, but then launched a bomb downfield for a TD.

• dawgs511
  • Visitor
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds