Forum

Some DC news

14 years 3 months ago #26440 by wlayton
Some DC news was created by wlayton
This was just emailed to me from my contact....very interesting and exciting.

There is a guy claiming that Richt has his DC decided, and it will be announced Jan. 2nd. I don’t know who this guy is because the guy won’t say. He says it was shared with him in the STRICTEST of confidence because the guy is coaching right now. However, the guy said that it’s one of the top 3 defensive coordinators in college football. He said that it is NOT Kirby. He said the guy has 10+ years as a defensive coordinator, and his defenses are consistently top 3 in the land. He said UGA fans will be VERY excited. Maybe Brent Venables from Oklahoma? Maybe Chavis from LSU? I don’t know…

The guy could be full of it, but that’s what he’s saying.

PVBDAWG

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• wlayton
  • Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
14 years 3 months ago #26442 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Re:Some DC news
January 2nd, getting close wlayton. Top 3, 10+ years experience, very exciting. Must mean that AD Evans really is willing to open the vault. LSU lost a coach to Nebraska who seems to be doing well. Meaning that coaches are willing to depart LSU. Think that Chavis is being paid $500,000 at LSU, personally would accept Coach Chavis in a heart beat. Understand this is speculation wlayton, it is fun however. Thanks for the update. :woohoo:

Chavis, a Tennessee graduate, remained extremely loyal to Fulmer and turned down several opportunities to leave Tennessee, including NFL jobs with the Indianapolis Colts, Houston Texans and Atlanta Falcons. He also was wooed by former South Carolina coach Lou Holtz earlier this decade.

But with new Tennessee coach Lane Kiffin bringing his father, Monte Kiffin, along to coordinate the Vols' defense, Chavis was not retained and he immediately became a hot commodity on the open market.

More
14 years 3 months ago #26444 by big dawg 3
Replied by big dawg 3 on topic Re:Some DC news
I love Chavis. UT always had very physical defenses when he was there. He also seemed to recruit well in Georgia. I also like the fact that he has a lot of experience and hasn't pursued a HC job. He could be that guy who is happy being a DC and might stick around for awhile.

• big dawg 3
  • Visitor
14 years 3 months ago #26447 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Re:Some DC news
I asked my guy if Bumpas could be the guy and he said that the new DC was NOT on the Rivals “hot board”, and Bumpas is on that list. So it isn't Bumpas either (assuming this dude knows).

PVBDAWG

• wlayton
  • Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
14 years 3 months ago #26449 by big dawg 3
Replied by big dawg 3 on topic Re:Some DC news
I have been hearing Chavis for a couple of weeks. I do not have any connections whatsoever. I just don't know of anyone else that has 10+ years and consistently has D's that rank even close to top 3 every year. I am sure that these other candidates are good, but Chavis has done it and been successful in the SEC. I really hope that he is the DC.

• big dawg 3
  • Visitor
14 years 3 months ago #26453 by ugaa
Replied by ugaa on topic Re:Some DC news
Chavis would be a good choice, that has been LSU's strong point and with never knowing what job Miles may take I would say hes another good candidate.

Whoever it is, if the 2nd is indeed the date then it goes to figure that their bowl game is after that date.

LOL and wouldnt you know it? LSU plays on the 1st, this rumor may have legs.

More
Time to create page: 0.032 seconds