Forum

can somone please tell me wtf usc leap froged the gators

17 years 5 months ago #1962 by dapolla
The problem here is the same as the problem in 2003: USC was ranked higher earlier and for longer, and so their points from the beginning of the season are helping them out. At that point(in 2003, just after OU's infamous collapse in the Big XII championship game), USC was ranked #1 in both human polls, yes, but it happened at the last second. All of the points that OU had racked up through the course of the year being ranked #1 throughout caused them to stay #1 in the BCS. They "fixed" that in 2004, but of course that year it didn't matter because you had five undefeateds (OU, USC, AU, Utah, and Boise State) going into the bowl season.

Better games and a true national champion would have resulted from an LSU-USC game in '03(and I GUARANTEE LSU would have won that game), as well as from a USC-Auburn game in '04. But because we've put our championship in the hands of opinionated writers, coaches who don't vote for themselves because they don't watch every game, and SkyNet, we don't have a championship. I'd echo what Pat Dye said before the Auburn game last week: we in the SEC need to focus on our conference championship, because the national championship is outside of us. Hell, I almost prefer what the Big Ten and Pac-10 still have, which are championships decided by games won, rather than a championship game. Granted, that would not have given us a championship in '05...that's why I said almost.

In my own humble opinion, I'd love to see Florida make it to the BCS championship game, because OSU or Michigan would ABSOLUTELY MURDER THEM. Then again, that might make the SEC look bad. It doesn't matter anyway, because the Gators won't make it past Atlanta. That said, there is no WAY that USC deserves to play this year. They've been mediocre at best, lost to Oregon State...but worry not. I doubt they'll make it past Notre Dame. Personally, I'm rooting for Arkansas.

GO HAWGS...er DAWGS!!!

Red and Black, Win or Lose

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 years 5 months ago #1964 by UnderDog37
True, the BCS people have no love for the SEC. AU was screwed in 04, and UGA wouldn't have been given a shot in 02, even though our schedule was tougher than Miami, who was in the Big Least conference at the time, or OSU, who only beat a weaker Michigan team. If we had beaten UF, I still dont think we would have got a shot at the title.

• UnderDog37
  • Visitor
17 years 5 months ago #1966 by wlayton
Straight to my point. USC beats ND, Ohio State beat UM (Tressel owns Carr) and USC plays Ohio State for the NC game. Rutgers probably would deserve to be in it if they won out, but believe they will lose to WV and even if they won out they probably still won't get in. UF? As much as I am a SEC homer, I don't EVER want UF to win ANYTHING. I just hope Arkansas stays healthy and DRILLS UF !!!

PVBDAWG

More
17 years 5 months ago #1967 by kentdaddy
Great analysis fellas...

Here is what I am hoping for...USC loses to cal and then beats ND. That eliminated the two paper tigers. Arkansas beat UF and then it is either Arkansas or Rutgers against OSU/UM winner. That would be great . ND and USC both are getting by on their name. ND is a joke and so is their schedule. If you get pressure on Brady Quinn he goes Bledsoe on you and chucks up free INTs. USC could not keep my mother from scoring three TDs and gaining 120 yards. They play two hand touch defense.

OSU and Michigan play a bunch of mediocre talent as well. Wisconsin will be exposed in a bowl game. The Big Ten has two good teams.

The Pac 10 plays a full round robin schedule. Every team plays every other team. That makes picking a champion easy. The Big Two +9 does not have everyone play everyone. Wisconsin does not have OSU on their schedule. They got pounded by Michigan. They go to a bowl game with one loss and then get spanked and everyone thinks they had a down week. Not really, they just aren't that good.

We need a playoff to resolve this.

More
17 years 5 months ago #1968 by UnderDog37
Arkansas will take UF like Sherman took Atlanta. Just my opinion. If they had such a hard time against the Gamecocks, with their weak offense, then they will think Arkansas, with their 3-headed monster running attack, is the second comming of the 1966 Green Bay Packers.

• UnderDog37
  • Visitor
17 years 5 months ago #1971 by wlayton
kentdaddy, adding to your scenario that will insure ONLY Rutgers to play the OSU/UM winner. Before Ark beats UF in the SEC CG, LSU beats ARK in their last game to give Ark 2 losses as well (assuming Ark beats MSU this weekend). So pull for LSU and then Ark in the CG.

PVBDAWG

More
Time to create page: 0.031 seconds