Forum

How long are we going to go like this!!!!!!!!!!

17 years 6 months ago #1270 by kentdaddy
Perhaps I was misunderstood.

1. My comment about going 6-5 was regarding your reference to coach being a good man and helping build young men. At a big time school that is really puff they use for marketing. Richt has a great record. I love that. I was simply pointing out that the building good men part is not why coaches are hired or fired. They are hired and fired for winning or not.

2. It is a rare combination I agree. I just want to see a sense of urgency a little. And how about a leader stepping forward among the players. We all know the old saying about nice guys finishing last.

3. My parenting record is still developing. My kids are young. I teach my children right from wrong, but they will make mistakes. I expect that. If they shoot AK-47s off in an apartment then I failed. My comments are based on life experience growing up on the east side of Atlanta and the amazing lack of parenting many kids get today. People obviously learn through most of their life and I am not taking shots at wlayton or anyone else. Why so defensive. In my opinion, if your kid or anyone elses gets to college and clearly shows they are completely without discipline or has no respect for others or rules or laws then yes parents have failed. I doubt Mr. mlayton speaks for anyone here other than his or herself unless a forum meeting was called and I missed it. Loosen up a little.

If you doubt my comments about horrible parenting, ask a teacher what they think.

I also want a playoff. If WVU wins out they should have a shot at #1. If you win all your games why not? Conference not good enough? So what. Maybe that will kick start a playoff sooner. WVU has a great offense and Pat White and Slaton are fast.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 years 6 months ago #1271 by wlayton
WOW kentdaddy, you need to co-host the Dr. Phil show. We are obviously at opposite ends of the spectrum on this subject. I'm referring to "molding" young people and teaching life lessons (which you stated that if they still needed molding by time for college, then parents have failed), and you are referring to kids from Mike Tyson's neighborhood that have zero parental influence that needs more than simple "molding" of their lives. Two entirely different subjects. Just can't LABEL both in the same category or stereotype all kid's degree of molding needed. Now I totally agree with you that leadership is non existent with our players and someone (or several) needs to take over that role. That's a must.

PVBDAWG

More
17 years 6 months ago #1273 by kentdaddy
Hey!

Now you are making fun of where I grew up? Its bad but not that bad. :D

I think we are actually in agreement but are getting words mixed up. I agree that having a coach that helps mold young men into good people is a plus. I do know that at this level of football coaches are paid millions to win. If they mold young men also that is a bonus. If they mold young men and lose then they get fired and end up in Div. III.

I may have been a bit over the top in my words but my exact quote was -

"If kids get all the way to college and still need ample molding from a coach then parents have failed. "

The key word is ample. Of course many kids come to college from great homes and behave and act like adults. Others do not. Our favorite school is a great school but it is not quite at the level of Duke and Yale etc academically. We do have players in various sports that attend class and maybe are not the best students or come from broken homes and are at UGA only because they can run a 4.4 40 or have a 42 inch vertical leap. All kids are different. Some need more guidance than others. In my opinion, if a kid makes it to 18 and becomes a legal adult and still has no repect for authority or does not know right from wrong then the environment that kid grew up in failed him.

Personal responsibilty should not be dying in this country but it is. Take for example Odell Thurman of the Cincinnati Bengals and the Ohio penal system. How many times has this young man been arrest in his short career? 2? 3? My gut tells me that he did not have a ton of guidance growing up. I know his parents both died and he was raised by his grandmother. It is a very sad story, but at UGA and Georgia Military Academy he also had trouble adhering to team rules. Of course in the NFL he is suspended for a year already.

Thurman is a perfect example of the type of kid I am referring to. He evidently lacked guidance growing up and therefore he lacks discipline. Coach Richt kicked him off the team once too. The molding of Coach Richt did not seem to help. Sports are full of examples like this. It is a fact of life. Not ever kid is raised in a perfect environment where the adults care for them and raise them will guidance and love.

More
17 years 6 months ago #1274 by wlayton
I actually think we are in agreement for the most part. Bottom line, there are great kids raised by great parents, some bad kids still raised by great parents but are influenced negatively by their PEERS and environment, there are great kids raised by bad parents AND there are bad kids with bad parents. Some people are beyond help (Tyson) but most can be influenced positively. I just really respect Mark as a man as well as a coach. Hey, great conversation, we both love the dogs, feel the same values and have covered the whole gammut. Just pull the DAWGS through this weekend and especially next (I have to live around those gators).

PVBDAWG

More
17 years 6 months ago #1275 by kentdaddy
Amen!

I grew up in a crappy area of Atlanta where many kids had broken homes and no parental guidance. I have seen a ton of kids with no family help growing up so when they get out of highschool they go ape poop.

Anyway.

I hate the BCS! I want a playoff. I love DJ shockley in a manly way.

My wife wear a David Green Jersey every saturday and so does my daughter.

I would name my kid Herschel if my wife would not kill me. I dread the day Mr. Munson steps down and I hate anything orange except my basketball.

The reference someone made earlier to phulmer was the funniest thing ever.

I LOVE UGA!

More
17 years 6 months ago #1276 by wlayton
Awesome, you are truly a devout Dawg. I love DJ as well as many others too. I wear the Thomas Davis jersey, he is so lethal on the field. Had a bulldog and named him Dooley and almost bought a female bulldog and we were going to name her Georgia. No place like Athens, Ga.

PVBDAWG

More
Time to create page: 0.029 seconds