Forum

moving the cocktail party

16 years 6 months ago #7971 by MileHiG8R
Replied by MileHiG8R on topic Re:moving the cocktail party
This game cannot be moved! It is one of the best traditions in college football. Moving it to home-home would be a travesty. It's one thing to be political correct and simply rename it Florida/Georgia, but to call it off all together would be a shame.

Long live the cocktail party...pass the bourbon!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• MileHiG8R
  • Visitor
16 years 6 months ago #8007 by GatorinGA
Replied by GatorinGA on topic Re:moving the cocktail party
I have always thought that Jacksonville gives a slight advantage to UF simply because it's only a 1.5 hr drive (small trip). So there is a lot less hassle getting there and it still \"feels\" like a home game.
I still believe the bye week leading up to this game has had more to do with the dominance than anything else. We will find out this weekend if this is true.

More
16 years 6 months ago #8015 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Re:moving the cocktail party
I agree with you GatorinGa, I too believe the bye week has FAR more significance to the gators 15-2 record. Never a problem in the 80's.

PVBDAWG

More
16 years 6 months ago #8025 by dapolla
Replied by dapolla on topic Re:moving the cocktail party
The bye week became a tradition under Spurrier as a way of beating the Dawgs, since he never could when he was a student and since Dooley dominated Florida so much during the 70s and 80s. He had no idea how the confluence of having the bye, our having Goff as coach, and him having a) such great talent and b) such a great coaching mind during the '90s would contribute to one of the most lopsided periods in any rivalry.

Spurrier liked lining things up for his Gators, though...remember how he stopped scheduling Miami on the Florida schedule in order to give the Gators a chance at going undefeated?

Not that he ever did...

Red and Black, Win or Lose

More
16 years 6 months ago #8028 by kentdaddy
Replied by kentdaddy on topic Re:moving the cocktail party
Keep it in Jacksonville..........

We have to remember that the advantage is not huge to UF because the vast majority of their fans either drive old pick ups that barely run or skooters because they have no license.

If we moved the game even a few more miles away that would be a huge advantage for us.

Imagine riding a Vespa to jacksonville...............it must be hell.

More
16 years 6 months ago #8031 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Re:moving the cocktail party
kentdaddy......I had to stop laughing so I could get back to work. Still the best one liner on the forum.

PVBDAWG

More
Time to create page: 0.043 seconds