Forum

moving the cocktail party

16 years 6 months ago #7930 by biggator
moving the cocktail party was created by biggator
I have been hearing grumblings on UF based boards about Richt's desire to move the game to a home and home series. Obviously those posts are Gator biased and are basically just everyone calling you guys a bunch of whining p*ssies. I have a few Dawg friends and they don't want the game moved either. So I always like to get my info from the horse's, in this case Dawg's, mouth. So please enlighten me on your thoughts. I hear it is (the desire to move) because of losses recently, lack of production in recruiting (a game in FL gets to show some kids UGA when they normally wouldn't), and various other reasons as well. I personally think it would be a travesty if the game were to be moved. It is almost like a right of passage for students. I remember my first game, and look back on my last game with a nostalgic sense of happiness. Sorry to be so long winded, just curious. I hope all your guys have an injury free sat afternoon. Go Gators!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• biggator
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
16 years 6 months ago #7934 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Re:moving the cocktail party
I'm a huge traditionalist....keep the game in Jax....too much history.....and FUN.

PVBDAWG

More
16 years 6 months ago #7935 by UGAChemDawg
Replied by UGAChemDawg on topic Re:moving the cocktail party
Anyone who thinks that Georgia's poor showings in Jacksonville since 1990 has anything to do with the venue is a moron. The Georgia-Florida game is one of the greatest traditions in college football and always my favorite away game. It would be a tragedy to see it move.

As far as the venue having anything to do with recruiting, I was under the impression that there was this thing called television. I seriously doubt any prospects see the game who otherwise wouldn't because of where it is. What matters is how good the teams are when they meet and the performance each one displays, not where the game is played.

Jacksonville makes the most sense as a neutral site, because there are no other venues big enough to host the game that are further north, yet sufficiently far south that the Dawgs don't have an unfair advantage. Holding it in the Georgia dome would give the Dawgs an even more unfair advantage than the Gators have by holding it in Jacksonville, because 3/4 of UGA's student body is from the metro Atlanta area, and that is where most of our alumni who stay in-state settle. Florida's population, on the other hand, is concentrated in the southern part of the state (Miami, Tampa, Orlando) so fans from Florida's most populated areas have even further to travel to Jacksonville than many Georgia fans do.

More
16 years 6 months ago #7947 by McShea87
Replied by McShea87 on topic Re:moving the cocktail party
I like the game in Jacksonville...maybe they should sell about 10,000 tix more to the \"home\" team every year or something....but jacksonville is the perfect location for this game.

More
16 years 6 months ago #7952 by DawgDoc
Replied by DawgDoc on topic Re:moving the cocktail party
B) B) B) Hey biggator: No reason to move the game that has been a tradition for both Georgia and Fla. What a great excuse to take a mini vacation to the coast in the fall, the perfect time of the year to be on the beach. No bugs, no swarming children, good seafood to eat, and great golf courses to play. I think it would be a travesty to move this game. It's a great experience win or lose, ofcourse we would definitely rather win. It also would have a great economic effect on business on the coast of Georgia, as well as the Amelia area of Fla. Let's keep it right where it belongs, in Jacksonville.
As always, GO DAWGS!!!!!!!!!!:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Member since 1999

More
16 years 6 months ago #7954 by flyindawg
Replied by flyindawg on topic Re:moving the cocktail party
To be honest, I'm torn. I do like the game in Jax.. For all the reasons all of you have stated. It just seem to get more out of hand every year down there. I know it's the bad fans from both sides, but some times a bad apple can routine it for everyone. Of course, I am not speaking from experience. I've never been to the Border Brawl. I would love to go. Maybe that's what I need. I little fall vacation.

More
Time to create page: 0.054 seconds