Forum

Monday Morning Water Cooler - July 4

8 years 9 months ago #68174 by rockdawg
Replied by rockdawg on topic Monday Morning Water Cooler - July 4
One of the "Bobo things" that was frustrating was play calling. It got better, but he was often either too predictable or calling stuff that had me scratching my head (see Usc game end).

Anyone have any read on CBS in this area? Did he exhibit either of these symptoms in the NFL? If he simply had a better feel for the flow of the game and called plays correspondingly, I think the O would be better right away. When a rank amateur like me can predict half the plays, no doubt that opposing coaches had it figured out too.

Would like to see some innovative use of talent. Doesn't have to be a change of scheme, just a better use of what we have and a better feel for the flow of the game. What do you old pros think?
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #68175 by stevedawg
Replied by stevedawg on topic Monday Morning Water Cooler - July 4
RD, It is hard for some of the coaches now days to think outside the box. Coaching has become a job that follows a 'playbook'. (the box) Play safe. The media booth could be calling the next play it's so predictable.

We need more instinct and less looking at the book.

IMO we should let the team on the field call a few plays.They are out there and if they were scheming in the huddle instead of getting the next play from the book we would see some good old fashioned scrappy college ball playing.

That's the way we used to do it.

For winning the Natty give every Dawg a bone AND prime rib steak.

• stevedawg
  • stevedawg's Avatar Topic Author
  • DAWGS.com moderator
8 years 9 months ago #68176 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Monday Morning Water Cooler - July 4
rockdawg interesting read.

Would add this. There are certain teams that can play the predictable game and come away winners majority of the time. Much of that has to do with player personnel. When a team consistently brings in top talent, it comes down to what the players are capable of. Alabama for instance will take long shots, however the long shots don't compare with the running game aided by a superior offensive line. Believe that same thing played out for us last season. Was not the lack of on field talent that cost us in the end.

I sincerely hope that we don't push Nick Chubb too far this season. Keep reading and hearing about him being capable of 30 carries a game. To me that is nonsense. Looking at the talent in Athens at the running back position, takes me back to something I said earlier. Coaches over the years not utilizing the talent they recruit.

Having watched A. J. Turman in high school, he is an absolute load, especially when healthy. What he showed in the G Day Game does not surprise me at all.

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #68177 by NC_Dawg
Replied by NC_Dawg on topic Monday Morning Water Cooler - July 4
Buc Wrote

...Not real sure about it being "too early" to be recruiting, even though as said, young folks tend to change their minds. Hat in the ring means a lot more than previous recruiting efforts by those that were responsible for same.

You missed the point, my brother. I didn't say it was too early to be recruiting. I said it was waaaaaaaaaaaay to early to be concerned with it. Recruiting is ALL that you hear, see, or read....and it's recruiting for 2016 and beyond......SMOKE SCREEN!....Much easier to keep the doe-eyed focused on the next "IT FACTOR" or even the one that got away, then to have them focused on the obvious concerns for the forthcoming season. Again, JMVHO!

I've read a great deal regarding the assembly of the right field generals and subordinate staff to take that final step.....REALLY?....It takes 15 years? Nonsense!....Like our talent, we've been fortunate throughout these years to have many with the resume to propel us forward....So what's the common denominator?.....Well it's none other than the perennial bed-wetter! I suspect we will all be re-discovering this, once again, later this season.

Just my .02!

GO DAWGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"My advice to you is to start drinking heavily." - Bluto
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #68178 by stevedawg
Replied by stevedawg on topic Monday Morning Water Cooler - July 4
NCD.. right. The staff on the field is the continuity from year to year. Forming a winning Georgia Bulldog team out of players is their job.

Recruiting is 24/7. When a recruit calls, answer the phone. Talk to them. Sell them on Ga. Then get back to work. If they want to play they will call back.

MEANWHILE. Next season is on the agenda.

Management jobs from HC up to the top are on the line. (The messages on this board testify to that.)

Team up. Get it in gear. work work work.

For winning the Natty give every Dawg a bone AND prime rib steak.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thriller, NC_Dawg, yankeedawg1, growl

• stevedawg
  • stevedawg's Avatar Topic Author
  • DAWGS.com moderator
8 years 9 months ago #68179 by growl
Replied by growl on topic Monday Morning Water Cooler - July 4
I can't wait to see Nick running over follks and the OL blowing people off the LOS, the improved "D" playing with the tenacity of the "Junkyard Dawgs". Football season can't start soon enough for me. GO DAWGS, GATA

The sun shines on a different Dawg every day
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, thriller, yankeedawg1

More
Time to create page: 0.037 seconds