Forum

Remember This . . . . ?

8 years 10 months ago #67954 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Remember This . . . . ?
Video below brings back the quarterback chatter. What got my interest in the interview was Jacob Eason mentioning a couple of times the possibility of transfers.

Still have this feeling that the head coach knows that one or two might be leaving Athens. Eason is in on what is happening at the position.

Speaking to how I feel, much more excited about the defensive and offensive linemen that are heading to the Classic City. Know just enough about football to understand where the games are won and lost.

Some point to the defensive line getting beaten or not coached up to their ability in 2014. 2015 will give us a much better idea how far the coaching and playing has progressed on the defensive side. There is a lot of talent that is not talked about but is there . . . . players like Keyon Brown. Realize that I have brought his name up more than once on the board, 2015 he will be heard from.

There was enough talent in 2014 without a 5***** star quarterback to have won every game. Dismissing the JAX game, the other two losses in my mind were aided by a lack of solid coaching decisions.

Not going to be surprised to see several names not talked about in blogs starting or playing a lot of minutes in 2015. That is what I believe is going on with the defensive coaches. For far too many years depth has been a problem with the Red and Black. Not that there was a lack of player talent over the years, it was more of that "missing link" which I believe can be put at the feet of the coaching staff. Too many players have left Athens in the past 14 years and found "playing time" in the NFL. Not going to list them, but it is a basket full.

Lots of talk about what incoming players have done to get their scholarship offers. They played football better than many or most, but they were not facing the competition that they face when playing on Saturdays in the SEC. No doubt that coaching and training methods have changed over the years, but when these young men leave high school, they are entering a different world, both coaching and training.

I do not believe that we will see players raising their hand to come out of the game in 2015 for the same reasons that we have watched for 14 years. Some of the position players are "very close" when it comes to "talent". Depth is built when young athletes are within a (hate to say this) *star* of each other. Another thing I keep in mind is that other teams in the SEC also have the same coaches and athletes that are a part of the SEC for a reason. Have come to believe it is more than 5***** star athletes, much of that belongs to the "click brigade".

Another name that I watch closely is Dyshon Sims. Still believe he will end up playing left tackle for us. He has been trained to play every position on the offensive line, with the exception of center. Number 55 will also be heard from in 2015. There is some depth along the offensive line also. Jake Edwards I hope can come back and contribute. There are others, and since Coach Will Friend arrived and left Athens, he has made a serious amount of "difference" in the way the Red and Black play football. Small wonder Mike Bobo wanted his talent in Colorado.

I sincerely hope that Jacob Eason deserves everything that has been and is being said about him. Easy to see the confidence the young man possesses just watching his video(s).

As far as quarterbacks transferring . . . . still think that Jacob Park will end up playing for Bobo/Friend. Faton Bauta is not the type of player that fits Bobo's style. Faton will run with the football, that caused some problems early on for AM. Bobo and Richt did not like that. If however Park leaves and ends up in Colorado, he also will run with the football. It is in his DNA. I like it.

bulldawgillustrated.com/2015/06/09/jacob...-qb-greyson-lambert/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 10 months ago #67955 by thriller
Replied by thriller on topic Remember This . . . . ?
I think you have it nailed, Buc. One QB (at least) is going to transfer. I'm still baffled as to why we would want Lambert though, except that SEC football is "big boy" ball and it's easy for a guy to go down with an injury. It's just reassuring to have another guy back there. But it doesn't make me feel any better when the guy who is sitting on the sidelines (remember - he WILL have a hat with a G on it) threw more interceptions than touchdowns over an entire season, and got beat out at a 3rd tier school for a position HE OWNED last year.

Dang, I'm good at pessimism. :unsure:

More
8 years 10 months ago #67956 by sadlerdawg
Replied by sadlerdawg on topic Remember This . . . . ?
Realism, thriller, not pessimism.

The SMART era CONTINUES!!!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: thriller

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #67957 by Buc
thriller, probably you have watched this video, if not . . . . thoughts?

Couple of questions after watching.

Thought this was not a "new system".

Will stop there, except for this . . . . Public Relations folks "win again". Don't know if that is good or bad, but it is "suspect".

Beginning to tire, seems most are ready for more of the same. Said that. :)

www.georgiadogs.com/collegesportslive/?media=498242
The following user(s) said Thank You: thriller, yankeedawg1

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 10 months ago #67958 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic Remember This . . . . ?
First blush on video Buc. Summer fluff. Notice comment same offense different terminology

Said in a early post how many names can you give a QB sneak??? In my work days learned

About process and procedures then later came best practices. All geared to raise employee

Engagement. IMO. a new coach/teacher is going to personalize the subject so as to engage

Everyone in the learning process. Not like CTG did but more like a CJP/CTR

remember when gasoline was called inflammable. Now just flammable ....same idea

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
8 years 10 months ago #67960 by Buc
yankeedawg1, could be I have too much invested in "background noise" over the years.

What I see coming from coach speak, both sides . . . . Their way of keeping the "chatter down", but they must realize that all of this quarterback chatter started with the head coach. Media asks questions, and that is as it should be. Thus far there has been what appears to be a bit of "the company line". If that is the case, and at this point the one position on our team that seems to be drawing all or most of this attention, makes me "again" question the competency of previous years of recruiting and coaching.

Hard for me to get away from our head coach being more involved with quarterbacks in his career than any other position. That actually dates back to the 80's and his arrival in Tallahassee. I have watched quarterbacks in Athens come and go and if I had to say that we are far advanced over some others at coaching the position, no can do. Example of what I just said . . . . Mark Richt chose Mike Bobo to relieve him as offensive coordinator. Mike Bobo high school quarterback, college quarterback. Now we have Brian Schottenheimer being hired as offensive coordinator. Schottenheimer high school quarterback, college quarterback.

Takes me to this . . . . Mark Richt continues to recruit coaches that have the same background he has had and comes from. At this point I would think that with so much hands on quarterback coaching experience we should not be having this problem. Yes, it is a problem when we enter 2015 with three quarterbacks that have spent their entire college football days under Mark Richt. Not the first time in 15 years that there has been a problem at quarterback.

Seems to me that there is always that one piece that is missing every year with a Mark Richt football team. In my opinion, the missing piece is the lack of coaching. Now we have a "stud" coming to Athens to lead us out of the darkness. Public Relations Department has been all over that. Head coach more than willing to spend time talking about Jacob Eason. Might be a good idea to look a little closer at "self".

End with this. I sincerely hope that Brian Schottenheimer comes with the same attitude that Pruitt/Rocker and Company came with. Pruitt and Company do not play to the media as the head coach does. That group came to teach and improve football in Athens and in my opinion that is "needed" on the offensive side of the football.

Good Morning All . . . . :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.053 seconds