Forum

Remember This . . . . ?

8 years 10 months ago #67946 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Remember This . . . . ?
growl, I sincerely believe that the media has had a tremendous effect on those that call themselves Georgia fans.

The many years that you spent serving our country, you understand the "process" needed to "understand" and "join ranks".

From where I sit, believe if "Top" stays away from areas that he does not understand, maybe some of the younger folks will not have to go through some of the things that others have.

Often near the end of a season, some of the comments get a bit testy, speaking to and about UGA football. Reading a lot of sites on the internet, see a lot of "click garbage".

Public Relations is all about one thing . . . . "Promoting". That is the first step in creating "cash flow". UGA has been "very successful" in that area . . . . we now have two (2) million dollar football coaches in the Classic City. One that has in my mind failed to produce the results that some want (me) and another one that is being watched closely by some. I would include myself as one that has an eye or eyes on the second millionaire. Will say this, the lower level millionaire is making strides that "Top" has failed to do in 15 years. My opinion, and a damn good one when comparing the two millionaires.
The following user(s) said Thank You: growl

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #67948 by Buc
Question or two comes to my mind.

Play calling. Have read and posted a ton of posts on this board about the play calling for several years.

There was a period when Bobo took over that we were not sure just who was calling the plays. I do remember it being said from the coaching staff that while Mike was the newly appointed offensive coordinator that the head coach would "walk" him through certain situations.

At this point I believe that the head coach became too entrenched in the offensive side of the Georgia football.

If we go back and look at comments made both before and after Mike Bobo was announced as the offensive coordinator, it gets interesting. It became a "hide and seek" game. Never was there any information about certain calls that had an effect on the game played that particular day or quite frankly year. Ali used to refer to it as "rope-a-dope".

Recently beginning to think that I am too involved with the history of Georgia football, bringing it closer to the internet, maybe too watchful in 2006/2007 and the years thereafter.

What I believe separates winners and losers is a very fine line.

Many think that our head coach is successful because he wins 9 or 10 games some seasons. Guess success is in the eye of the beholder.

I do believe that Mike Bobo got better with time in service. I also know that there were serious questions being asked about the play calling after Mike had some time under his belt. There still are some unanswered questions about play calling in the past 3 or 4 years in particular. That question is never asked by those privileged to ask the head coach those questions.

Whether we were for or against Mike Bobo, he is now a head coach, making over a million dollars a year. Funds were never available in Athens, so my guess is that Mike Bobo was not rated high enough to draw that kind of money. Second year in Athens, Pruitt is making over one million a year.

One thing for sure . . . . Pruitt will call "all" of the plays defensively. There will be no "secrecy". Pruitt cannot hide, nor do I expect to see him do that. Takes me to this . . . . I did see a lot of "hiding" by our head coach on play calling over x number of years. Just another area that I often think about.

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 10 months ago #67949 by growl
Replied by growl on topic Remember This . . . . ?
I think Bobo was fine in games that not too much thinking was required,but, throw a wrench in the works and you would likely get a brain fart ie: first and goal from the four handoff to Gurley, repeat, repeat or pass and fail. Glad he's gone but needed to have hitched mr to his back pocket.

The sun shines on a different Dawg every day
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #67951 by Buc
Have mentioned before that a lot of Public Relations "stuff" finds its way to our home.

Here is the latest from President Jere Morehead, his signature anyway.

Some might question why this is posted, simply because my family has put forth an effort over many years to back the "College" of our choice. Yes a lot of time and aid was passed along to Athens and other satellite places from my family. Giving dates back to the 1940's, and it was at one time a very prideful effort from several in the bloodline that I am proud to be a part of.

Probably many out there are getting the same, really upsets me when I look at the current lack of "Leadership", not speaking to football alone.

Should not say this but . . . . How is the "plumbing" working out "Jere"?

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: thriller

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 10 months ago #67952 by thriller
Replied by thriller on topic Remember This . . . . ?
I get that trash too, Buc. It winds up polluting our states landfills. It costs more to get an education at UGA than it is worth - I'm being very serious when I say that. And then the money grubbers have the nerve to stick their hat out 30 years after I left the place and beg for more. Anyone priced football tickets lately?

The nations land-grant institutions receive state and federal funding. So you may not write them a check, but every time you get paid, you DO write them one. And if you don't "hand over the loot", they'll put you in prison. And then they stick their hat out again.

Don't get me wrong - I support the University of Georgia, financially AND in spirit. I grew up in Athens - it's HOME. Both of my parents were employed by UGA and I was educated there. If I was rich, maybe I'd feel different about writing a big fat check and sending it in. But as it is, everyone wants my money. Especially ESPN/M&M.

In my opinion, UGA is doing JUST FINE without my ADDITIONAL contribution.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DawgDoc, Buc

More
8 years 10 months ago #67953 by Buc
Well said thriller.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thriller

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.068 seconds