Forum

From Athens- Friday Thoughs

8 years 11 months ago #67882 by yankeedawg1
From Athens- Friday Thoughs was created by yankeedawg1
Good Morning All,

To say it has been an interesting week would be a gross understatement.

This week’s Blue Plate Special- WIFM…..QBS…… LIM

What’s in for me?

I have had a difficult time with a recruit committing then go on tell the world he is still going to take all his official
visits to other schools.

If you feel strong enough about a school and you make a choice what’s the deal?

Then I thought well once you have been courted and make a choice what you really want is to see…..what’s behind door number two.

Going forward how hard are the other schools going to work in trying to flip you?

How hard is the school that you have committed to going to keep pushing to keep you on board?

These young men might be looking for enough reasons to be talked out of their first choice while also seeking support for their early decision.

Mean while they remain the center of attention on social media and with the talking heads. All goes away on NSD…. Back to square one..

Everyone one of us has asked at some point ……WIFM?? No shame…

Quarterback Shuffle…….. Hot topic of the year

First there was an open competition for starting QB among three players already on scholarship.

Then this past Wednesday we up the competition to four?

A large number of posters here and elsewhere call the QB competition a fake from the beginning … BR is our starter and all this is being done to stop a transfer.

OK if that is true why get spun up by adding an experienced D1 QB.

Yes but we are wasting a scholarship and he wasn’t even good enough to remain a starter at VA.

Well if we are going to lose a QB to transfer that gets us a scholarship back so that’s a swap.

When we hired CBS the choir sang that it was a poor choice before he coached his first game. All based on his NFL career.

We take a QB from an ACC school that lost his starting job and we deem him a waste before he has a first practice.

Understand that this is all opinion…. And time will tell how informed that opinion is.

IMO there are two reasons we wanted Lambert at UGA

We didn’t want another school from the SEC to get him… like UF.. we have done that before??? Or he might turn out to be another Nick Marshall…then what a dunce we were for not taking a chance on him….hmmmmm….

And he will be the new holder for MM.

While the early money says this was another BF by our HC we have those who advocate firing the entire coaching staff as a solution.

This strikes me as a tad extreme.

First I don’t think tossing the likes of Bmac,CThomB,CTR and members of the Bama gang would benefit our

recruiting or the progress we have made teaching/coaching none of which have been effected by us taking GL.

Likewise CML and the S & C staff did not have anything to do with this decision.

Truly understand frustration…. However…….

Let the summer drama play out..Regardless who becomes our starting QB as noted it is just for a year..right ??

With all the hoopla and still more to come…. Our Dawgs will be a very solid and good football team this season…

I will leave the subject for now with this….. As an old student of horse racing…early money is not always smart money when it comes to betting…..

Less is more…..

Whoever is our QB we will be better off with one who does less and lets the team do more.

You think for a minute AM would not have traded a few of his TD passes to have they 2014 improved running game and defense.

The object is winning the game not record setting QB numbers while still losing. No place for a me guy….. for sure….

We don’t need a glitzy offense …blue collar..steel lunch bucket..with a hard hat in hand will do just fine. Believe we are heading in that direction.

All driven by a OL with an attitude…thank you CWF….CRS keep us moving forward..plzzzzz

We will line up knock your butt off the ball.. then the road graders get to work and our backs rumble…. Eat clock..move the sticks.. and score buckets of points

I like a good thriller with bodies in the attic….. By the end of August it will sort itself out…. Mean while us fans will pass a great deal of gas…

Purchase Rollaids and Tums in supersize packages…….

Pause and give thanks

Have a great weekend and a safe week

Enjoy the Belmont…come on American Pharaoh..I would like to see one more Triple in my life. Big pitcher of bloodies Buc….enjoy..

As always “Go Dawgs"!!!

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: DawgDoc, Buc, DAWGtm

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 11 months ago #67883 by ogredawg
Replied by ogredawg on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughs
I will continue to see the glass as half empty while others see it as half full.

thecountrynation.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #67885 by Dawg With Style
Replied by Dawg With Style on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughs
yankeedawg have a great weekend thanks for keeping the blue plate special Hot!!!! give Georgia a treat.

How Bout them Dawgs!!!!!!!

Ride it like you stole it
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

• Dawg With Style
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 11 months ago #67886 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughs
Belmont is lengthy. Have watched many over the years fall short after winning the first two. I like this horse.

Victor Espinoza is in tune with his mount. Starting pole position 5, also like that.

American Pharoah gets a good look at both sides.

This group has American Pharoah well trained. Won't go further with comparisons in other sports.

More
8 years 11 months ago #67887 by thriller
Replied by thriller on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughs
yd1,

This board would be awfully boring and tiresome if nobody ever disagreed about anything. Fact is - I disagree with bringing in Lambert, not just because he lost his job at a third rate school, but because of the WAY he lost it. The kid threw more INTs than TDs last year, and I have since gone back and looked at a few of those. He didn't get knocked around because of a bad offensive line - at least no more knocked around than he'd get in a SEC knife fight. He made BAD DECISIONS. His second INT against Tech was unforgivable - throw that one about a yard to the right and it's six. He threw it a yard to the left.

I would not be NEARLY as pessimistic as I am right now - Kookaid-Drinker here by nature. But I am accustomed to having guys at QB like David Greene, DJ Shockley, Matthew Stafford, and Aaron Murray. Even with those STUDS at QB, we still didn't win it all, but at least every single one of those guys got us terribly CLOSE. We were always in the hunt, and that is what makes the season fun for me.

Right now though, the coaches were not only unable to name a starting QB coming out of spring practice (Virginia was able to name a starter with EASE), but in an effort to find someone who can actually play D1 football they have resorted to bringing in the LOSER of the QB competition at that 3rd rate school. What that tells me is that the guys we currently have must be nigh un-coachable. They do NOT lack the physical gifts required.

I agree with others on this board (and that's a change for me) that we have painted ourselves into a corner at the QB position, and we're acting like we found a future star from Virginia. He ain't even a stop-gap. He'll ride the pines here (unless we are far worse off than even I think we are).

yd1 - you make some GREAT POINTS in your post, as always. Keep up the great discourse! Very civil arguments, well made. I VERY RESPECTFULLY disagree about the QB position.

But as always - GO DAWGS!!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1

More
8 years 11 months ago #67888 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughs
yankeedawg1, another thread (BPS) that contains several discussions within a discussion.

This started the thought process for me . . . .

When we hired CBS the choir sang that it was a poor choice before he coached his first game. All based on his NFL career.

My thoughts went to this.

Looking over the past several years in Athens, I could relate to many of the comments about looking at "years in the trade" and a lack of the one thing that has become mandatory . . . . History of accomplishment sometimes is out of a coaches control, especially if that coach is not the "Top".

Had nothing more to go on than "records and stats" through the time period. Two of the three stops for Schottenheimer were controlled from the "Top" by defensive oriented coaches. All head coaches have to believe they know best, basically the reason they were hired, in most instances.

What I watched happen in Athens was the hiring of a head coach that came from an "offensive background". That seemed the be the case for many years, up until the hiring of grantham. Personality conflicts soon produced a group that could not and would not make progress. Referred to by many as "stubborn as a mule", in our case it moved to the plural "mules".

Whether we agree or disagree, the hiring of coaches that seem to be on course now in Athens . . . . defensive coaches. Took one year of our head coach seeing improvement on the defense, both players and coaches to jump on the bandwagon. That however did not last long. McGarity failed to make an effort to keep Mike Bobo. Whether right or wrong, it caused turmoil in Athens . . . . too many hands in the process. Head coach and athletic director had a behind the walls serious disagreement.

What came of that? Again, whether right or wrong . . . . majority of the sites I read, Georgia is on a "roll" with a group of coaches that spent a lot of time in Alabama that believed in the words "Roll Tide".

Takes me back to this . . . .

What will any of us know about Schottenheimer until live bullets start to fly? New offensive coordinator is coming to a team that has a head coach who believes in offense, knows little about defense. This could be the "opening" that our offensive coordinator has always wanted. He is in a situation that he has not been in before. Loads of talent, talent abounds in the areas he will be recruiting. If Schottenheimer cannot meet or pass the efforts of Mike Bobo, might be he is not cut out for this particular profession. He is being paid more in his first year than Mike Bobo made after years in Athens and also at the time of his departure.

I look over our "Roster" often. I want to see what the effect of Pruitt/Rocker and Company have on Georgia football in the near future. Near future? 2015. Someone needs to remind our head coach that it has often been said, goes back to him even playing football . . . . defense wins championships. Time for him to simply wear the crown and not get in the way of what many of us hope will be "progress".

More
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds