Forum

GAME WEEK THREAD: #5 GEORGIA v. #13 AUBURN

4 years 5 months ago #80387 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic GAME WEEK THREAD: #5 GEORGIA v. #13 AUBURN
I want to see the maturation of our receivers. The young pups have loads of ball catching talent, but an in depth review of our passing game issues shows a lot of mistakes being made by these guys.

On the pick six against SC, that was a long throw and with that pattern especially, the receiver has to drive back to the ball and use his body to box out the CB. He just waited on the ball and did nothing to prevent the DB from stepping in front of him.

On another interception from that game, the receiver should have made a cut to outside and didn't.

Fromm made throws that game where he trusted his receivers and they let him down.

I've looked at some other missed throws and seen numerous mistakes that have thrown off the timing just enough to make it seem that Fromm overthrew the ball. Failures to adjust patters... allowing defenders to use the sideline as a second defender, etc.

These are mistakes his receiving corp from last year would not have made and while we have talked about other legit issues, these issues cost us big against SC and have made us look worse than we should have in the passing game all season.

I love our young receivers and I knew going in that outside of Cager we were really lacking in experience, but at this point in the season these guys need to show more growth. If they do... we're going into the SECC game with a real chance to win it and a legit shot for more.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #80388 by SouthernDawg
Replied by SouthernDawg on topic GAME WEEK THREAD: #5 GEORGIA v. #13 AUBURN
College Playoff Committee just placed us in the top 4, ahead of Bama. That's saying quite a bit, and clearly, Georgia's defense is starting to get the recognition it deserves.

Losing Holloman before the season was a horrible blow to this corps. Cager was a massive, probably season-saving addition. But like I said above, Cager is a short-timer. He only has at max, 6 games left in the red & black and he's done. It's easy to say "well, Coley needs to design plays to their strengths" but that's not the whole story. I have to believe at this point in the season, some spotlight has to be shone on Coach Hankton. It seems like we've regressed since the season began. I wasn't seeing our wideouts being bottled up in the first five games as I've seen them be bottled up since the first five games.

Lots of chatter about Fromm after the SC game and "overrated" was tossed around. That's laughable, and insulting. In the SC game, Fromm had a handful of pay dirt passes that had they been caught, we'd be 8-0 right now. Balls hitting receivers in the hands and on the numbers have no valid excuse not to be caught. I counted no fewer than 4 passes that by all rights should have been completions that were not, and that has nothing to do with Fromm.

What I hope is that at some point, we hit that inflection point where things just all of a sudden click and guys find their stride. They've certain got a master gunslinger behind center that can put the ball where only they can catch it. If I see the receivers mature in one game and really begin to gel with Fromm as Wart mentioned above, then I completely agree - sky is the limit. No one, not even LSU or Ohio State beats us this season.

Right now our offense is like an unbalanced washing machine on spin cycle. It becomes "our year" as soon as the offensive evens out the heavy spots and begins to spin smoothly.

• SouthernDawg
  • SouthernDawg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
4 years 5 months ago #80389 by Wartdawg
Knocking Fromm after the SC game comes from people who view all interceptions as being the fault of the thrower: Folk that don't know the game and throw out opinion based on box scores.

CFP rankings... Alabama has played one team and not much else, but I think people think too much about rankings while the season is still ongoing. Right now it is math but the equation is still being written.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.

More
4 years 5 months ago #80390 by Wartdawg

SouthernDawg wrote: What I hope is that at some point, we hit that inflection point where things just all of a sudden click and guys find their stride. They've certain got a master gunslinger behind center that can put the ball where only they can catch it. If I see the receivers mature in one game and really begin to gel with Fromm as Wart mentioned above, then I completely agree - sky is the limit. No one, not even LSU or Ohio State beats us this season.

Right now our offense is like an unbalanced washing machine on spin cycle. It becomes "our year" as soon as the offensive evens out the heavy spots and begins to spin smoothly.

It needs to happen. The OC coached the WR's for 2 years and helped develop the stud group we had in 2017 and 2018. Cortez Hankton, the current WRC coach and passing game coordinator, has an impressive track record as well.

It's time for these guys to step up.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1, growl

More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #80391 by growl
Replied by growl on topic GAME WEEK THREAD: #5 GEORGIA v. #13 AUBURN
I believe I saw the light come on for Pickens last Saturday, maybe I'm wrong but he

looked quicker, more precise in his routes in the second half, and Kearis

Jackson did make a great effort in the end zone that coulda, shoulda, woulda

been a touchdown, just off the fingertips.

I would say that the effort is there, fine tuning and blocking out the

defensive back, that has been previously noted, will make a huge diff.

Use the TE's
GO DAWGS!!!!!!!! GATA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The sun shines on a different Dawg every day
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1, SouthernDawg

More
4 years 5 months ago #80392 by Buc
It's time for these guys to step up.

WartDawg, believe what you said above cuts to the chase.

Have really enjoyed reading this thread.

:)

More
Time to create page: 0.050 seconds