Forum

GAME DAY: SUGAR BOWL TEXAS LONGHORNS VS GEORGIA BULLDOGS

5 years 3 months ago #79603 by Wartdawg
"Meaningless" and "doesn't matter" sounds like excuses, and I don't do excuses very well. I am cut from the type of cloth where you don't take the field unless you are going to play. You also don't beat your chest and take to your Twitter account about the college football playoff selection committee and then go play like that.

Plus... Who the hell is UGA that it's the championship or nothing? Last time I checked it was coming up on almost 40 years since this team claimed anything other than one of these "meaningless" bowl game wins.

Georgia is supposed to play to a standard, and that was a sorry ass standard last night.
I don't want to hear any more of that until the team starts living it.

I'll play along though if that's the way it's going to be for UGA football. If it's not the championship then I won't give a $h1+ either.

As I stated last night.... if this is the way it's going to be, then call me when you are playing for the NC, but don't bother me with anything else. I have better things to do with my time than waste it like I did last night.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #79604 by SimpleDawg
First, Bevo tried to trample UGA. Then, the Longhorns proceeded to bully the Dawgs all night long, including several critical gores. All of those excuses just don't wash with me....not if you are a championship caliber team. Mental toughness is a real thing....you either have it or you don't. I certainly don't think it's a game to game thing that you put on like your helmet - it's a character trait. Everyone is happy and a hero when things are going well, but when you face adversity, then the question of mental toughness becomes evident. Too many players on that team last night didn't have it.

Texas just lined up and bashed the Dawgs with a FB playing QB. The Longhorn defense controlled the line of scrimmage and squashed our running game.

And, what in the world happened to Fromm? He missed way too many wide-open receivers to expect any kind of success. Maybe he was too worried about the pass rush, which was oppressive.

As for whether or not Georgia should've been in the CFB Playoff…… And all of the Twitter chatter...…

Don't talk the talk, if you can't walk the walk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, DawgDoc, yankeedawg1, growl, dawgs_fans_dad

More
5 years 3 months ago #79605 by stevedawg
I'm with what Southern Dawg said:
"I'm just going to go out on a limb here and say it, and I don't expect everyone to agree with me - but that UGA team last night showed about as much intensity and focus in that bowl game as I had for it.
Our season ended with the SEC Championship game and that's the game I was pissed off about. I didn't give a damn about the Sugar Bowl. Yeah I get the pride thing and you're playing for that, but I don't put stock in a game that when you really boil it down, means absolutely nothing. It certainly doesn't color my view of this program or where it's going under Kirby. "

I really wanted to see the Dawgs play one more game. I watched about 10 minutes, saw where it was headed, turned it off.
sigh...

For winning the Natty give every Dawg a bone AND prime rib steak.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DawgDoc, yankeedawg1, SouthernDawg, growl

5 years 3 months ago #79606 by ogredawg
From my seat in the SD it was over before it began, I could tell in the pre game warm ups that we were not focused and deliberate.

Texas on the other hand was ready. You could see it in the way they were carrying themselves

thecountrynation.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1, SouthernDawg

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #79607 by SouthernDawg

Wartdawg wrote: "Meaningless" and "doesn't matter" sounds like excuses, and I don't do excuses very well.

Nope. No excuses. I'd have to care to make excuses. I simply don't care about the Sugar Bowl.

Wartdawg wrote: Plus... Who the hell is UGA that it's the championship or nothing?

You're the one who said "call me when you we win a NC" last night. That was long before I posted my message. I don't blame you. I'm right there with you. Yes, that's where we are. That's where this program is. The expectation is National Championships. Its why we fired Richt and its why we hired Kirby.

Wartdawg wrote: Last time I checked it was coming up on almost 40 years since this team claimed anything other than one of these "meaningless" bowl game wins.

Which is why I'm interested in playing for NC's. There's an entire wing of the Butts-Mehre collecting dust from nearly 4 decades of honorable mention trophies. Let's win a natty and then I'll go back to lowering my expectations. I'll lower them when I can confidently say "well, we can't win em' every year." Until then, I want to play for A and win A National Championship. Sugar Bowls, Outback Bowls, Poulan Weed Eater Bowls can garner someone else's interest.

Wartdawg wrote: As I stated last night.... if this is the way it's going to be, then call me when you are playing for the NC, but don't bother me with anything else. I have better things to do with my time than waste it like I did last night.

Ditto.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1

More
5 years 3 months ago #79608 by Buc
Some concerns . . . . and Observations . . . .

Previous head coach had problems with games that I would classify as “Big”. Failed often, too often when facing teams that seemed to have similar or equal talent.

Head Coach Kirby Smart has now faced equal or better talent since arriving in Athens. Not a great outcome in the “Big” games. Alabama twice, Texas and also remembering LSU in 2018, consider that to be a “Big” game.

Both head coaches had “player talent”. Not sold on the “coaching talent” both coaches had at one point or another.

Often I have said that 2019 is the year that Georgia Football can be placed totally in the Smart and Company field of play. I believe that.

I do have some concerns about the play calls both offensively and defensively. Hell, that will be an issue with me and some others that I know even if we reach the often mentioned Natty . . . . and win same.

Saying that . . . . Hard for me to watch a box loaded with defensive players daring us to “either” run or pass. Texas did that. LSU did that. Alabama did that “twice”.

At this point will live with what I feel inside about the game against Texas. From this point forward, players belong to Kirby Smart recruiting solely, same with coaches, Kirby Smart hires.

There have been many posts in this thread that “touch me deeply”. The folks that post here are as knowledgeable as any I have been around for many, many years as a supporter of the Red and Black. Lots of years.

Will say this without calling names . . . . I fully expect to see a change or two in our coaching staff. Not a bad thing, just a suspicion.

More to say, just need some more time to “re-focus” and “re-evaluate” where “I” stand. Loaded with talent . . . . however I know that other teams in the SEC are also loading up with very talented young men. The “race” is on.

Again, enjoyed reading “all” of the opinions posted in this thread.

:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1, dawgs_fans_dad

More
Time to create page: 0.041 seconds