Forum

From Athens- Friday Thoughts

5 years 11 months ago #78640 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts
Buc..... you were in the thick of it when CMR couldn’t see the value in having a Columbus stop on

The Caravan..... left the door open for Assburn to poach recruits..

CKS... hiring Coach Dell.... proved to be nothing short of awesome...

Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
5 years 11 months ago #78641 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts
You also were definitely on board with staying lively in Columbus. Seem to remember some others on this board that recognized a lack of judgment by those that apparently had other things to do. Columbus and Central Georgia has always been recruited heavily by Auburn. Columbus was the meeting place, Memorial Stadium, for the yearly battle between the schools. My high school football coach ( Al Jeffrey, Georgia 1942) participated in what were some brutal battles with Auburn. Kirby Smart was the right choice to lead UGA, not a doubt.

The 1942 Georgia Bulldogs football team represented the Georgia Bulldogs of the University of Georgia during the 1942 college football season. Led by Heisman Trophy winner Frank Sinkwich, the Bulldogs compiled an 11–1 record and won the Rose Bowl. The 75–0 win over Florida is the largest margin of victory in the series history.[1] The Bulldogs were ranked second in the final AP Poll, conducted before bowl season. While the Ohio State Buckeyes were crowned national champions by AP, Georgia was crowned as national champions by eight other NCAA-recognized "major selectors".[2] The Buckeyes did not compete in a bowl game in 1942.

Auburn was our only loss in 1942.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
5 years 9 months ago #78718 by scooby
Replied by scooby on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts

DawgDoc wrote: Some old memories from an Old Fart". Sad to hear the passing of Andy Johnson. Ran VD's veer formation which he got from Houston. Watch him play many times on Saturday afternoons. A great person as well as an outstanding QB. Played running back for NE for 5 or 6 years. Watched the Dawgs from Wally to MR. Lost interest in making the trip to Athens after 46yrs of
season tickets. Old age has it's downside, hate to own up to that fact of life.
As always, GO DAWGS!!!!!!!!!

Dawgdoc, my father was at uga from 53-57. Guessing your age and hearing my dad talk about coach butts, Would not be surprised if you two had crossed paths.

More
5 years 9 months ago #78719 by DawgDoc
Replied by DawgDoc on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts
Scooby: Was at UGA from the fall of 1950 till June of 1957. Received both my undergrad degree & DVM from that great school. It's true your dad & I may have crossed paths during that time. Doc

Member since 1999
The following user(s) said Thank You: scooby

More
Time to create page: 0.066 seconds