Forum

Thoughts

6 years 5 months ago #77560 by Buc
Thoughts was created by Buc
Start of the 2017 Season ratings had Georgia at #15. Thought about that since the Auburn game. Entered the game against Auburn at #1. Quite a shift in numbers.

Was said by some that Georgia would end the 2017 Season playing in a “lesser bowl game”. Still possible I suppose. Sitting at 9-1 currently, rated #7 now by the “committee”. Two regular season games to play, Kentucky and Georgia Tech, then against either Auburn or Alabama in ATL. Georgia ends up winning two and dropping the SECCG believe it would be hard to end up in a lesser bowl. Georgia FANS travel well, those in charge of filling bowls understand that point.

Kentucky has watched the game film against Auburn, whether or not they can force us to change our play calling, yet to be determined. Kentucky is a much better team since their last head coaching change. They will come to play.

Not going to say a lot about play calling just yet, that in my opinion will take care of itself, “one way or the other”.

“I” believe Georgia is on the right track. Still some things that will shake themselves out. If the 2018 recruits committed and those that we believe or hope will sign on do just that, we could be a powerful and successful team for some time to come.

A lot is riding on the remainder of the 2017 Season. Both coaching and player contributions will be watched closely and I feel sure will be discussed at length.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
6 years 5 months ago #77561 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic Thoughts
Agree Buc..... simply not many had ideas that anytime this season we would be ranked in the top

Ten let alone first place......yes briefly.... however...... Beat down is part of the process...

Players and coaches....

More on this in the BPS....

Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg

More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #77562 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Thoughts
“We don’t see traditional coverages,” Smart said. “People don’t play us the way we play people. The way people play us a lot of times is to take the run away. A lot of times it’s like that. It’s not as simple as calling a screen play. There’s more to it than that. We’re trying to find ways to get the backs the ball because we’ve got a lot of backs. But they cover our backs out of the backfield last week, and they cover our backs out of the slot. So you’re always trying to find a way to get them the ball. There’s no easy way against really good defenses.”

Wish I had not read or heard the above words coming from Kirby's mouth.

Earlier in the year and actually end of last season spent some time brushing up on Chaney's time as a college coach. I did find out that he was not the person responsible for Drew Brees development in college. That finding was posted on Dawgs.com in 2016.

There are players on our team, really top notch players that will spend some time in the NFL. Referring to tight ends in particular. Tight end routes do not require 5 step drops, that alone changes the tempo of the defense, does not take a person or coach too enlightened to understand that. What I think "I" see is a coach or coaches that realize the offensive line needs "extra" help . . . . in the running game. If that is the case maybe the "phrase" goes back to the words that I have read for so many years about Georgia Football . . . . "wait till next year".

Comes down to this for me as we face off with Kentucky . . . . If we are a better team, I hope that we can and will climb out of this "apparent" coaching hole we find ourselves in on the offensive side of the ball. Since the arrival of Smart we have seen noticeable improvement in our recruiting talented players. Regardless of how many top players we have brought in for the 2018 Season, that has always had a tendency to fall off with less than "expected results".

Back in the day Georgia at one time had the reputation of "three yards and a cloud of dust". Looking at the game against Auburn, we appear to have fallen back into that "rut". We have a young man at quarterback that is deeper into play calling than maybe those that call the plays. AM was that way for sure.

From where I sit, I do not see the current play calling against top teams moving us forward. I say that based on going back to what our coach said in the lead paragraph of this post. Everyone has an opinion, I do and there is more.

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
6 years 5 months ago #77563 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic Thoughts
Agree Buc..... wish HC didn’t say that .....typical example of coach speak.....

Extremely close to...... excuses...... needs to stick with his fresh no BS approach..

Damn sure didn’t learn this from CNS......

How we got from post game presser .... we stunk it up.... to this gook. ..... hmmmm...

As many questions that came out of our loss.... can’t spin our wheels playing Wildkittens. ....

Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc

More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #77564 by stevedawg
Replied by stevedawg on topic Thoughts
The train rolled out of the station at the start of the season. It rolled straight through to 9 - 0.

Now back to whatever it was that happened last Saturday with Auburn. Lots of speculation on this board. Mostly right on topic. No excuses just fix it.

I can't complain about 9-1. We didn't have to 'wait till next year' for that.

Back to work. Chop, chop, chop.

For winning the Natty give every Dawg a bone AND prime rib steak.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

6 years 5 months ago #77565 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Thoughts
It is easy to say what we should do or should not have done.

There is an answer for certain players not wanting to speak with the press. Cannot blame them . . . . for this reason . . . . believe that some of the time some found the time to "get full of themselves". Was hoping that we were past that.

Coach speaks of missed tackles, this week working on that. I saw some scrambling on the defensive side of the ball prior to the snap. Getting into a "disguised set" prior to the snap was not the reason. Comes from not understanding or . . . .

Our team returned an almost complete defensive side of the ball for 2017. One of the reasons for us being looked upon as being a step above many in the college ranks. Talking heads were all about the "defense" that faced Notre Dame and drew much attention to our defensive stability.

Auburn took us behind the wood shed. They knew what was at stake. We play either Auburn or Alabama in Atlanta and that game itself is the biggest game of the 2017 Season for the two participating teams. Georgia is one of the two. That game will erase most or all thoughts as to which team is ready to move on. I could care less about which of the two we face off with. Those on blogs calling for a repeat game against Auburn should take some time and watch some film. Film does not lie.

One other thing . . . . there are some that need to get off of Jake Fromm's backside. Check the "hurries" in the Auburn game, not a quarterback that I am familiar with that could have beaten the rush on that particular day. Last but not lease, check the play calling. I am in agreement with ogredawg in thinking that Jacob Eason will not return. Jake Fromm and the #1 quarterback in high school football 2017 Season will in my opinion complement each other in 2018. I am of the opinion that Eason returns to the West Coast. If he should land in Miami, more power to the young man. Cards fell the wrong way for Eason, not the first time that has happened over the years, certainly not the last.

Kentucky will load the box . . . . yes I know, nothing original about that statement.

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.047 seconds