Forum

Georgia/Auburn 3:30 p.m. CBS

6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #77468 by thriller
Replied by thriller on topic Georgia/Auburn 3:30 p.m. CBS
Since you bring it up Buc, here is an article that shows some of the inside workings of how Vegas sets odds. Apparently, they have it down to numbers, and inside the article they state that "X's and O's really aren't being taken into account"! How about THAT?! (Of course, this report is for the PRE-season books, but there is a system in place even for that.)

bleacherreport.com/articles/2104561-insi...lege-football-spread

And while the home team GENERALLY gets a field goal for home-field advantage, that is not always the case. 'Bama, LSU and Ohio State will usually pick up more than three points at home, just because of the home crowd being more intimidating than, say, Georgia Tech. I have a feeling that would be the same for Abuurn, but I don't know that. I'm thinking Abuurn is getting 3 or 4 points for home-field, and Vegas thinks we are about 5 points better.

What's VERY interesting to me is that PRIOR to the game this past weekend, we had already opened up as a 2 point UNDERDOG in this game, but the line has swung to the other side! That IS pretty odd! My guess (that's all it is) is that Vegas was more impressed with our win against USCe than even some of us were - but I don't know.

Bottom line, I approach Abuurn with caution, because they are a really good team. However, I think our defense is better than theirs, straight up. To me the key will be showing poise and execution in an away environment, which we've shown a few times this year. Remember, we were down 2 points to Notre Dame on the road with only 3:39 left to play, and then had to hold onto a one point lead the rest of the way. Notre Dame has one of the most potent offenses this year and were held to WAY under their average against us.

One of the things we'll have to do is HOLD ONTO THE BALL! Had Godwin not gotten that ball knocked out at the 4 yard line this weekend, I think we would have won by something more like 31-10, or maybe 31-13.

One thing is CERTAIN . . . we WILL be playing for the SEC Championship this year, and nobody else - not even Alabama - can say that right now. I'm sure CKS is coaching 'em up for this weekend, reminding them that if they lose any of the 3 remaining games, the whole season is in jeopardy. Win out and all of their goals are in play!

GO DAWGS!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #77469 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Georgia/Auburn 3:30 p.m. CBS
Watched portions of the UGA/USC again . . . .Really focused on the left side of the offensive line. #65 Kendall Baker is impressive as all get out. Not much has been said or I have not read anything concerning Kendall Baker this season. Kendall is really, really good. Saw a couple of "pancakes" and that is not a common thing in the SEC. All or much of the talk about Sam Pittman is bearing fruit. If Baker stays for his Senior year, that is money in the bank.

In the video below, Kendall answers some questions that impress me.High fives #65 . . . .

The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #77470 by Buc
Been around football for a long time. Know that I chirp a lot about the offensive line, that ain't gonna change. Reason . . . . finally there is more to understand by those that have overlooked where the down/snap starts. There are several on this board that have been all about offensive line play, anyone that reads this board know who they are. Had to put that in.

Go Dawgs, know that Coach Pittman is coaching them up. Hoping that Sam PIttman is in Athens for a very long stay.

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
6 years 5 months ago #77471 by dawgs_fans_dad
Replied by dawgs_fans_dad on topic Georgia/Auburn 3:30 p.m. CBS
Once Vegas sets the line, the money decides whether it moves or not. If the 'dawgs started out a 1 point underdog and moved to a 2 point favorite all that means is that most of the money is going on UGA. The line moves to try to balance the money so the house wins no matter who wins.

Personally, I liked the onside kick. I think they saw some film that the guy who recovered it turns and runs back too quickly, which he did. He just reacted really quickly and made a good play, Nice luxury to know that you can give your opponent a short field and trust your defense to shut him down.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1

More
6 years 5 months ago #77472 by Buc
Agree or disagree, some interesting chatter on this video . . . .

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #77473 by SouthernDawg
Replied by SouthernDawg on topic Georgia/Auburn 3:30 p.m. CBS
This game is going to be a combination of coaching and will. Kirby has preached breaking the opponents' will all year. You saw it happen around the 3 minute mark in the 3rd quarter. Even the commentators, as horrible as they were on CBS, noticed the SC guys gassed on the field, hands on hips, sucking all the wind out of the stadium.

Georgia has more talent, hands down, in all three phases of the game. The question is, will they be prepared accordingly? Nothing this season has given me any doubt that they will. I believe this team is hungry, it is focused, and it is determined to make this a special year.

As far as the X's & O's go, there's going to have to be some real attention in practice this week on pass coverage. Too many DB cushions in the SC game against receivers that were too explosive that cost us. Auburn will be the same animal. I was happy to see some QB pressure in the 2nd half against SC because it was nearly non-existent in the 1st. Here are my keys to the victory:

- QB pressure has to be there right out of the gate
- Pass coverage has to tighten up. No more 5-7 yard cushions. Leave that crap in the Grantham days.
- We absolutely must cut the stupid penalties out, like the totally avoidable personal fouls. Too many penalties last game.
- We must get off the field on the 3rd downs and keep the D fresh
- Commit to the run early. Do it again. And again. And again some more. Make them, like SC, prove they can stop it. They can't.

Honestly, none of these keys to the victory involve any deep insight or great football knowledge. We just need to follow the same template that got us to where we are right now. We come out with the same fast and physical mindset, play with the foot on the gas for 4 quarters, utilize Fromm as necessary, and continue blocking up front and we move to 10-0.

Simple.

More
Time to create page: 0.031 seconds