Forum

From Athens-Friday Thoughts June 30th

6 years 9 months ago #76601 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens-Friday Thoughts June 30th

Buc wrote: Has been mentioned on this board that Coach Coley is incredibly strong as a recruiter in Florida. Mentioned several times to be factual. This old dawg again will say that I would not be disappointed to see James Coley as the coach calling the plays on Saturdays. Not going to call it a "position change", that comes from the head coach. Coach Coley would open this group of athletes now on the offensive side of the ball to closely resemble what he accomplished in Tallahassee. Have said this a time or two . . . . Coach James Coley is on a lot of lists as this is being typed. I have a great fear that the "penny pinchers" will again make the same mistake that was made many years back when Erk was not named head coach. Use this word again . . . .STOOPID. UGA suffered for many years with that VD mistake. Jealousy, my opinion. Erk moved down and "created" a football program in Middle Georgia that proved to many what FOOTBALL is all about.

All of the talent in the world is useless without "coaching". I know, everyone understands that . . . . with maybe the exception of one or two that could be mentioned. Bet this . . . . McGee and Coley will put more butts in the seats than McGarity and that group above him will ever produce. Bean counters.

Georgia Football has "finally" reached a point that will allow the FANS to back up their wishes with "results".

Copied the italicized line below from the article below.

He liked the fit there and his long-standing relationships with UGA running backs coach Dell McGee and receivers coach James Coley.

www.dawgnation.com/football/recruiting/b...-de-commits-from-fsu

EDIT: Back the above statement about play calling with this . . . . Coach McGee is more than capable of doing the same. I really like what I think I see as . . . . McGee and Coley "accomplishing football things in Athens". Both of these coaches on the same page, much can be accomplished. Recruiting and play calling. JMHO.

:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #76602 by Buc
I would hate to see Coach James Coley being hired by Auburn. Not possible? Anyone remember Coach Rodney Garner being paid a visit while still employed by Georgia by Gus Malzahn "in Athens"? Could not happen again, right?

This in my opinion is a very good group of coaches residing in Athens. Reminds me a bit of things that I read about 2017, 2018 recruiting classes of high school football players. Back to ogredawg again. Coaching "talent" is just as important as playing talent. Believe most of us understand that, even the "Bleeding Hearts" that seem to have lowered their tone about the removal of Mark Richt.

I sincerely hope that Kirby Smart does not think he is as far up the ladder as Nick Saban. He is not. I believe that Kirby Smart is "smart" enough to surround himself with talented coaches that can make a difference in what many of us, (FANS) have been asked to "accept" over decades. Acceptance is not a word that is welcomed by anyone that has been "fed that line" again . . . . for decades.

Often read what young men that "we" want to play in Athens have to say about "our program" You read it, so do I.

Goes something like this . . . .

Appears that Georgia has finally put the effort out/in to change the program. Yes, many of the youngsters say that. They want to play for "winners", not 8/4 teams. Review Alabama for starters.

How damn long will that take? Can't answer that myself, can say that a young coach with an Alabama background had more to do with change in Athens than any of the folks that sit their butts on Mahogany Row, and many coaches since VD.

News buzz can often and usually does sway the thinking of those that want UGA to move up. Happens every year. Right?

What prevents UGA from winning the East Side of the SEC? What prevents UGA from winning the conference championship in Atlanta? At this point, my opinion is coaching. Time for Kirby Smart to step up, do not "slip" and allow the East to again fall to the gators. Folks, the gators are preparing to play in ATL again. What prevents that? Your guess is as good as mine.

Go Dawgs, Coach Them Up . . . .
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1, DAWGtm

More
6 years 9 months ago #76603 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic From Athens-Friday Thoughts June 30th
Buc.... oil is hot and your cooking bro....another pair of aces..good posts..

Several times in the past you have brought up Erk being passed over for HC..

As I have also posted imho.... he was far better offf going to South Georgia and using is

Talent to build an outstanding program....had he stayed in Athens he would have both the Row and Dooley second guessing him.... just my thoughts....sometimes things work out were we least expect

Flip side is if he was successful he could kept both in check..... maybe......

I feel Head Coach Smart is very much a grounded person.... I don't believe he is trying to be Nick Jr.

HIs staff is dialed in to his program.....Rodney bailed when he didn't get the D.C. Job..... plus saw
Richt's stock heading into the tank....

Don't see Coach Cooley heading to Assburn with the Gus Bus.....gasping....
Gus needs to beat Alabama.....and us....

Enjoy your bloodies.

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
6 years 9 months ago #76604 by Buc
Good read yd1. Statement below copied from your latest post, referring to Erk.

Talent to build an outstanding program....had he stayed in Athens he would have both the Row and Dooley second guessing him.... just my thoughts....sometimes things work out were we least expect

A point that I have tried to make a few times recently. The "good old boys" have been alive and well in Athens for far too long. Recent hiring of McGarity (2010) points to that. Anyone really believe that Mahogany Row did any "search" to replace the released Evans?

If FANS choose to believe that McGarity was not viewed upon as the right mix for those that make such decisions, oh well . . . . Now the internet allows FANS to pass along their views, right or wrong, that is actually a "recent" happening. No longer do the Atlanta papers control what the FANS can pass along for millions to read. Now we can fire back at those that once upon a time forgot what the word FAN(s) means to College Football.

Will add this . . . . Erk would have had to fight some of the "stuff" that was sure to head his way. That is where the "rubber meets the road" . . . . Erk was about the "little guy/gal", that is a fact.

Allow me this too . . . . Coach James Coley has a talent that is not acquired overnight. Coley is a trusted man in the State of Florida, the entire state. Auburn in the previous post was meant to mean the "possibility" of a place he could land. Know that sometimes I don't make myself clear, comes with age. Coach Dell McGee carries the same weight with young athletes. These are the coaches that have been in the background, more or less. No longer does that hold true. I look at McGarity's salary and "bonuses" makes me sick to my stomach. That however is how the "good old boy" system works. Has worked that way in Athens for decades. FACT.

Go Dawgs :)

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #76605 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic From Athens-Friday Thoughts June 30th
Buc...your points on the possibility of Coach Smart's assistant coaches being attractive to other

Schools.....this I do see as a similarity to Coach Saban.....one that our previous Head Coach didn't

Have...... just thinking that the Row and the IRS .....neither going away to easily.....

Go Dawgs....... itches starting early this year to get season started.....

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
6 years 9 months ago #76606 by Buc
At my age yd1 have come to the conclusion that it is past time the FANS of the University of Georgia are recognized for loyalty that is seldom seen by many universities. When I read this site and others, brings me back to the same space I have been for some time . . . . comes a time for respect to be shown by those that too often look past the TRUTH. That thought was proven again when the Spring Game in 2016 was played. Kirby Smart simply asked the FANS to "state their case". FANS did just that.

Also a believer in keeping McGarity and others feet to the fire. Often in the past when the season neared FANS would drop their offseason feelings and start to dream again. I was one of those for more years than I hate to admit. A few more highly rated players committing to UGA before 2018, the FANS again will get hopes up. That is how it should be when UGA has the talent it has had for years.

Looking at the returning starters and players with a lot of playing time in 2016 and before, hard for me to understand how such a group of talent can go 8-4 in 2016 and seem to be in a running battle as to where we will finish in the East in 2017.

I am at the point that I do not wish for talented coaching and upper level attention to detail not being realized.

Say again . . . . Florida did not want McGarity to return. Spent many years in Gainesville, Florida, one would think he learned something under a very successful Athletic Director like Jeremy Foley. Have watched him closely since his return to Athens and I understand as many folks do in Florida . . . . not equipped to oversee a successful football operation or other sports under his brand of (leadership?).

Keep the folks that do not wear the cleats, use restrooms that flush properly along with comfortable seating and food in an instant happy. Comes back to the money. FANS of the University of Georgia that do not make the money that some do should be and I say it again . . . . shown respect. Damn right McGarity, there are some, maybe many of us that know you are in over your head.

Coach them up Kirby . . . . For sure at some universities 8-4 would get some folks fired. Looking at the 2017 Schedule, if we go 8-4 again, more than one head should roll. One I would like to see roll and I often express those feelings.

More
Time to create page: 0.033 seconds