Forum

From Athens-Friday Thoughts June 30th

6 years 8 months ago #76607 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic From Athens-Friday Thoughts June 30th
By no means do I mean that we should go silent on changes that need to be made UGA and

Elsewhere... if we did not stay committed we would still be toasting God Save the Queen...

Agree if we don't see major improvements this season....some assistant coaches need to change

Employment location...... my gut tells me that Coach Smart has laid out expectations and what

Failure to meet will result in.......

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
6 years 8 months ago #76608 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens-Friday Thoughts June 30th
This/these thought or thoughts cross my mind often . . . . nothing original, just football chatter. Many on the internet sites have worked this over often. Best of the sites usually are worth reading. I have a couple that I believe to be about football, especially SEC Football that are like Friday nights before Saturday games. Drink in hand, or whatever is preferred, ;) working the game tomorrow over with folks that understand what the game on Saturday will or might look like.

With a running back group such as we have in Athens, not too hard to understand that every team we face are "AWARE" of the "TALENT" they are facing. It is understood that every defense has to game plan for every offensive team faced, whether a running or passing team, talented to the hilt one way or the other, or one or two that can and sometimes will ruin Saturdays with "junk", "smart junk". You folks know exactly what I am talking about, or trying to convey.

The talent that I see assembled in Athens would give me some sleepless nights if I was preparing a defense to match up or play a classic defense against UGA. More to the game than "Fronts". Comes down again to that "talent" word. If we believe in the "star rating" for these young men while still in high school, decisions come down to coaching knowledge as to what the "star ratings" actually mean.

I have no doubts that coaches like Muschamp and others in the SEC are building. So much talent available, puts me into this mode . . . .

Not the first person and will not be the last person to say this . . . . SPECIAL TEAMS. yd1, this is one area that I believe Kirby Smart will change UGA Football for the better.

Why say that? Has not handed out a scholarship to our kicker. Some folks think that is not the way this should be handled. I disagree. Watching the Spring Game again, more than once, I can see the reluctance on Kirby's part, and Kirby is the head coach to want more. College football is no longer for those that want to be "friendly" and end up with 8-4 Seasons. Blaming Rodrigo, nope. Young man hit youtube with his "distance kicking". Hitting a youtube field goal of huge proportions, but cannot put the football in the end zone or out of the same with regularity. Can back that up with youtube and Hudl high school film. Appreciate the young man wearing the Red and Black, thank you, now it is time do what is necessary to be awarded a full ride.

Same should and I hope Smart and Company will do this . . . . Hometown favorites only make happy faces when the hometown player shines. Appears to me that UGA is finally going to "upset the apple cart". Young player might be the best player in 2016, 2017, but 2018 and 2019 have to line up and be given a "fair chance" to do one thing . . . . PLAY.

And this . . . . Mark Richt was patted on the back for "keeping" his word to individual players. Said this before, many have. . . . that is all well and good, but . . . . maybe he had some "flaws" when it came to winning football games. Mark Richt in Miami, the "U", has changed his way of coaching college football. FACT. Richt learned a lot from Coach Jeremy Pruitt. Another FACT.

Go Dawgs, TOO much talent to lose FOUR GAMES in 2017. Expecting too much in 2017? If that is the case, missed something along the way.

Buckle up Coach Smart, much is expected and many of us think that the "playing talent" will not be a reason for excuses.

;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
6 years 8 months ago #76609 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic From Athens-Friday Thoughts June 30th
You and others have preached correctly the value of Special Teams....

I agree Coach Smart is going to change our special teams for the better.....starts with what players you line up on ST....

Having quality depth is a start on being able to put some capable players on ST... prior years would use walk ons ....

Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
6 years 8 months ago #76610 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens-Friday Thoughts June 30th
Interesting piece by Greg Poole. Speaks to the "Coach Them Up" talk we have referred to often on this board.

www.bulldawgillustrated.com/overrated/
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
Time to create page: 0.050 seconds