Forum

College Football Recruiting/New Rule Interesting

6 years 10 months ago #76471 by Buc
Good read on the newest and latest rule change by the NCAA. Earning their wages . . . . right? ;)

n.rivals.com/news/prospects-question-how...od-will-benefit-them

Cannot disagree with Stephen Herron in the article above about coaches being able to "walk out" after recruiting young men. Goes to show just how important it is to have a solid coaching staff, along with supposed "leaders" working the puppet strings.

Understand that some who constantly bring up the fact those being recruited should respect having a "scholly".

Ever ask ourselves why Nick Saban year after year produces winners on the football field? It is said that Saban cares about family, of that I have not a single doubt. I do however know what he sees first in a high school or junior college player is based on football talent. Many or most of the players will say openly that they "hope" to play in the NFL. Many talented young men are not saying they are playing the game to become doctors, lawyers or whatever, maybe even "bean counters".

Going back into UGA Football history, way back, often the term used for education was "Basket Weaving". Yes, same term was used throughout college football, let's not fool ourselves.

Will be interesting to see how the new rule effects recruiting. I believe it will have some of the 3 and 4 star players as rated by the media signing early. Sticks in my mind the "many" times I have watched a 3 or 4 star become outstanding or . . . . a solid player once they enter the NFL. Young men leave high school as a 3 and quickly change their bodies and football knowledge, leaving those in charge to scratch their heads.

Good Day :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
6 years 10 months ago #76472 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic College Football Recruiting/New Rule Interesting
Spot on Buc..... more of the evolution of college football.....

Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!

• yankeedawg1
  • Away
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
6 years 10 months ago #76476 by Buc
And this . . . .

It was five(5) years ago when the topic of the M&M subject was brought to Dawgs.com. Since then there have been bits and pieces about "more to come".

Recently said here . . . . anyone notice the changes being made on ESPN? For a short time all was good with M&M, McGarity and those above him had nothing but smiles on their faces. M&M comes out as they "always do" roaring like a lion. Was mentioned on this board that M&M always, not sometimes, always wins when it comes to contracts.

Comes down to this . . . . FANS will again see public relations push to put "butts in the seats". The "bubble" is bursting. Numbers are going to fall, already are in the amount of money the SEC Universities will receive from M&M in the future. They are very good at the "shell game". Shell game was mentioned when the deal was first struck with M&M and the Southeastern Conference right here.

Not a lot of attention was paid to the comments at the time, suspect there will be more attention paid in the near future.

When I bring this subject up, usually I end with this . . . . Stay tuned, more to follow. Might want to read the link below, believe it or not, it concerns us the FANS. Over half a million dollars a year, eh Greg . . . .

fortune.com/2017/03/08/espn-cost-cutting/

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
6 years 10 months ago #76477 by Buc
Words below delivered by Athletic Director Greg McGarity in St. Simons. Comes a time when "results" count, Sir. FANS have thoughts and some expertise about "our program" Greg. A lot is going on in Athens and there is little doubt you do not have the skills necessary to move our athletic program(s) forward.

Copied from the article below . . . .

Our institution is the very birthplace of public higher education in our country. We have a legacy unlike any other. We have a college town unlike any other. So many have “committed to the G” --- and we are now asking everyone who believes in all of the “good” the University of Georgia does not only throughout our state, but around the country – to “commit to GEORGIA”. Let us not be distracted by those who attempt to divide us --- we must be united and stronger than ever before to help move our athletic program forward in the future.

McGarity, you made a huge mistake . . . . Soon after you were "inserted" as Athletic Director you forgot a four letter word . . . . FANS. Understandable now you want folks to circle the wagons, that has been the war cry for years by the FANS.

Agree with many or most being on the same page (FANS), meaning results for our Athletic Program. Circle the wagons for Greg McGarity, somehow cannot get the mules to understand "gee or haw". Circle will never be complete with you in charge. From your comment above in color, appears to me that your undershorts are in a wad, tight wad. Hard to give up half million or so a year, eh Greg.

www.georgiadogs.com/genrel/052517aaa.html

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
6 years 10 months ago #76478 by Buc
Thought about the "copied" paragraph below . . . .

Reason?

Our institution is the very birthplace of public higher education in our country. We have a legacy unlike any other. We have a college town unlike any other. So many have “committed to the G” --- and we are now asking everyone who believes in all of the “good” the University of Georgia does not only throughout our state, but around the country – to “commit to GEORGIA”. Let us not be distracted by those who attempt to divide us --- we must be united and stronger than ever before to help move our athletic program forward in the future.

Question? Why publicly say this? Many of us know that questions are more than "questions" that never reach the FANS.

Do you for some reason believe your time in Athens as the Athletic Director separate you from what FANS want or wish/hope to be accomplished?

Greg McGarity, you have had several years at the helm, point to one accomplishment that you are proudest of . . . . meaning . . . . something other than the "dribble" that you "again" left when "speaking" to an open audience in every open forum I have read thus far. Thus far . . . . several years.

And this . . . . The time spent with the gators . . . . You were not asked to "stick around". From all that I know living and being close to football in Florida, you never had a chance to move up "one spot". Mahogany Row needed someone that "followed" their mindset, at some point and you are close in my mind, your lack of understanding will never move Georgia Athletics forward. Yes, many of us know that American Football is the Golden Egg. Understand that you like Tennis, so do I . . . . Tennis does not pay the bills. Takes me to this . . . . NCAA Tennis finds its way to Athens . . . . Bet this . . . . There are no problems with fans having problems with urinals.

Again and this will not be the last time . . . . Read "every word" of "every word" you have spoken "publicly" about The University of Georgia Athletic Program. Every program.

Greg McGarity, you are what many of us termed in the Military Service as . . . . "Short Timer". If that does not happen proves a point . . . . Mahogany Row.

Good Day :)

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #76479 by Wartdawg
"Our institution is the very birthplace of public higher education in our country. We have a legacy unlike any other. We have a college town unlike any other. So many have “committed to the G” --- and we are now asking everyone who believes in all of the “good” the University of Georgia does not only throughout our state, but around the country – to “commit to GEORGIA”. Let us not be distracted by those who attempt to divide us --- we must be united and stronger than ever before to help move our athletic program forward in the future."

Words Mr. McGarity....words.

We're about to drop out of the NCAA Directors Cup all sports standings for the first time in 2 decades.

Mr McGarity went on to mention about how the amount of money we throw at our sports programs proves our commitment to be better but people in the know, know money has never been the issue.
Throwing money at a problem only means you have money, it doesn't mean you know how to fix a problem AND ARE WILLING TO DO IT.

Dollars are a lot like WORDS, Mr McGarity.. lots of people have plenty of them and they certainly like to toss them around. Dollars like words Mr McGarity, do not solve problems just by their mere existence. So like this money you keep talking about, keep tossing around those WORDS all you want as well;

Unfortunately though, many have stopped listening. The time for this rhetoric has long passed.

Word.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg

More
Time to create page: 0.038 seconds