Forum

From Athens-Friday thoughts

7 years 3 months ago #76081 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic From Athens-Friday thoughts
The decision on whether or not to offer Rodrigo a scholarship is a tough one. I think everyone likes the kid, and
thinks he has a great attitude but we have many holes to fill and scholarships are not unlimited.

The tough but objective analysis from me shows that while he was adequate, he did not wow me with leg strength
and accuracy. You could see the staff was still a bit hesitant trotting him out there for long tries and that makes me
wonder whether or not he is replaceable talent.

So is it wise to lock a scholarship down on him that we may wish we had back if the opportunity comes about to
sign or have a 4-5 star level OT transfer in? Is this a "buy", "sell", or "hold" if you want to look at it in stock terms?

I value the kicking game as much as anyone and certainly have no objection to offering kickers scholarships, but as
of now I think our staff is doing the right thing and I too would consider this a "hold" situation. Let's wait and see on
this one, and a scholarship offer is certainly not off the table... just not quite on yet.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago #76082 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens-Friday thoughts
Good read, following you on this board, expect nothing less. That is why I have followed every post you have made here. Has nothing to do with "agreeing" has to do with "football".

Do not believe it moves our program forward if we retrace our steps prior to this group of coaches. Did not say head coach . . . . coaches.

Jake Fromm has "touch". Not a shot at Jacob Eason. Base that on this . . . . AM arrived in Athens "without" a bazooka. What was it that AM had? Understood how to play the game. And this . . . . Richt/Bobo took his wheels away from the get go.

This has to be said . . . . Jacob Eason did not have a "stout" offensive line. They tried, even went to the Northeast to find help. Why? Because the previous group of coaches left the cupboard bare. Living in Florida, watching everything going on at the "U" . . . . Mark Richt finally understands that offensive lines produce results for "stars" carrying the football. Trying not to "harp". Been around for a while and "understand" what I see and know.

Simple question . . . . What is wrong with having two of three players qualified at "every position?"

Georgia Football reminds me too much of the "stuff" that has gone on in our Nations Capital for generations . . . . some prosper, some remain begging. Thanks for your time in "service" Coach Jeremy Pruitt. Erk would have loved you Jeremy, as some of "us" do.

There are some on this board that can and do sort through the "BS".

Head Coach Kirby Smart's Team.

:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
7 years 3 months ago #76083 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic From Athens-Friday thoughts

Buc wrote: Could very well be wrong, correct me if I am.

What I read on this board, if we are talking "this board", I read more members expressing "hope" more than anything else.

That's probably very true, but I am making sure I post my own opinion with a great deal of clarification. The recruiting has been off the chain, but that wont continue and wont mean anything unless we produce on the field, and soon.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
7 years 3 months ago #76085 by rockdawg
Replied by rockdawg on topic From Athens-Friday thoughts
This board does a great job of reflecting on the past, talking about what's going on now, and expressing informed opinions about what might happen down the road, based on both the past and present.

IMO that is what makes it such a good read. I'll check here before wading through the websites. Buc, especially appreciate all your helpful links to good articles.

Everyone is excited about the uptick in recruiting, especially the part about "building a wall" around the state and its talent. Everyone is also waiting to see if the "coach 'em up" part catches up. CKS is on a learning curve too. He needs to climb it fast. Lots of questions. Some will be answered in Spring practice, others will have to wait for next year.

Glad to see arriving quality depth. Step 1 of building a great team. Can't wait for September. Go Dawgs!

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #76086 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens-Friday thoughts

Wartdawg wrote:

Buc wrote: Could very well be wrong, correct me if I am.

What I read on this board, if we are talking "this board", I read more members expressing "hope" more than anything else.

That's probably very true, but I am making sure I post my own opinion with a great deal of clarification. The recruiting has been off the chain, but that wont continue and wont mean anything unless we produce on the field, and soon.

Wartdawg, you don't have to clarify here. You know better than that.

You and I a while back had a "small conversation" about the Falcons and the Benz Arena. With an arena such as the new one, you were right, keeps football of "different levels" in the South, my opinion, does nothing to hurt the SEC, improves our "lot". Falcons need to continue to improve and as you said, make some sense when the "fans??" post.

Back to UGA Football, might be that our efforts on the recruiting trail will slow down a bit. Base that on several universities that have great or very good recruiting years, but stumble along the way.

Alabama has not won every National Championship since Coach Nick Saban took the helm, but the "process" remained and here they are again looking for another great finish.

The University of Georgia gets a lot of "lip service" through the media. Not every SEC member, East or West has an outlet that can produce the "stuff" that the media does in print and otherwise that UGA has. Only Alabama can top Georgia when it comes to "coverage". Why? Coach Saban wins . . . . consistently.

One, close to the last thing ;) . . . . Coaches do what they were "hired" to do, maybe the "recruiting" continues at a level "above" those that we face in the SEC . . . . Knowing you through this board, has been a plus for me and this board. Bet that.

Allow me this . . . . I can sit down to the keyboard and produce "pages of copy", often I do. There are a couple of folks on this board (Dawgs.com) that don't like my long running BS. Problem with "those" . . . . they remain silent and often cannot back up their keyboard skills with their "upper lips". Coaches and fans that "pout" remind me of some that make a living in the media. Once upon a time, Bisher and Outlar and others were true to their profession. Do not see a lot of that this day and time.

Go Dawgs, and I disagree with my Dawg.com friend . . . . 2018, 2019 and many years after will change the way UGA Football is and will be played.

yankeedawg1, for damn sure you are appreciated . . . . and should be my Brother. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
7 years 3 months ago #76088 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic From Athens-Friday thoughts
Spot on Buc..... HC and staff aren't going to forget how to recruit... as you stated correctly HC has

Assembled a successful recruiting staff....deep contacts with HS coaches.... and a broad network of

Ears close to the ground..... this group doesn't spin their wheels....

Allow me this..... when working within an organization business or sports two very key elements for

Success....the two "c"'s. Communication and comfort with those you are working with or in charge of...

Both don't reach optimum without time and practice passing..... bet the bank HC knows he has

Some items to clean up and address....including himself..... thanks for kind words...

Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.038 seconds