Forum

Depth problems

7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #74920 by SouthernDawg
Replied by SouthernDawg on topic Depth problems
Depth problems...

I've heard more than one person say that Kirby coached a bad game, and even pointed to Kirby's comments where he blamed himself for having them unprepared. Any good coach is going to say that. While he may not fall on his sword, he's definitely going to take a few cuts for his guys. But I ask you - does our coaching staff strike you all like the type that is going to have its players unprepared? Does that even make sense? No it doesn't. I can guarantee you that they were prepared with a game plan. I am 100% confident that those coaches sat down this past week, studied film, looked at what they had to work with and said - 'ok, given what we know about where we are as a team, what's the best way to attack them?' You could hear the trepidation in Kirby's voice all last week. He was belting out the warnings that we simply didn't have the personnel to stop the spread. He heaped praise on Chad Kelly, talked about the insane talent they have at the skill positions, and practically all but came out and said "guys from where I sit, short of a miracle, we're going to get our asses kicked this week." I think this had very little to do with being out coached and a lot more to do with being out played at every position by more seasoned players in a system that has been clicking on all cylinders for a while now.

Furthermore, you can draw up all the plays you want but if your receivers don't catch the ball, your defenders aren't defending, your freshman quarterback is on his back or running for his life, and your kickers can't kick, it doesn't matter how much preparation you as a coach do. I remember hearing another coach we all know, who shall remain nameless so that I don't sound like a broken record, say: "...guys, we as coaches can draw up the plays we want. But at some point, in the game of pitch and catch, there has to be the catching component of that exercise." Translation - guys have to start doing their jobs.

I'm not saying Kirby is blameless here because it is his show. Yes, he does take blame just like all the guys do. But in reality, we know what the problem is and only time is going to cure it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, sflanagan21

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #74922 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Depth problems
Been a part of this board for a while. Cannot remember over the past years as much "solid football talk" as I am seeing in 2016.

I am one that believes that it is not very hard to hurt young players feelings. Those that "want" . . . . "get".

Are Smart and Company miracle workers? Those days are fast disappearing in college football. When Nick Saban allows his "starting quarterback" to work in spread formations . . . . College football has changed.

Check Louisville out . . . . Petrino was and is one of the best pro-style quarterback teachers in football, period.

Clemson, worked hard to land their starting quarterback from Gainesville, Georgia and their quarterback will take off in a flash. Anyone looking forward to Clemson/Louisville?

There have been whispers about Kirby Smart moving in that direction. Anyone doubt that our coaching staff will allow Jake Fromm to run the football?

Do like Jacob Eason more than a lot, watched him take some serious hits from some "bad boys" in our last game. Jacob has to have some protection to be all that. I am one that believes we hired a offensive line coach that will have a huge effect on our team and Jacob Eason. Hear some talk about "reads" . . . . give Eason 4 seconds to "read" . . . . 2 and 1/2 seconds does not allow that. Hell, it is simple football, all of us understand that . . . right?
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1, SouthernDawg, growl, sflanagan21

More
7 years 6 months ago #74923 by sflanagan21
Replied by sflanagan21 on topic Depth problems
Buc, I'm not sure who is more excited about Fromm, you or me! I've had the pleasure to watch him up and CLOSE, he is the "real deal". I was drooling over his skill set, a OC/QB coaches dream QB! We just need to get some big boys up front and coach em' up which I believe Pittman will do and get some big receivers that can get open and catch the ball!

Personally I'm on the fence with Eason. There is no doubt in my mind that he has all the tangibles in the World and if our line could hold blocks longer and our receivers could catch he and his stats would look a lot better. The one thing that scares me is his reads which I know will get better and all of the overthrown passes. But with Fromm coming in things are going to get very interesting at that position real fast because Fromm is a leader and competitor with fire! Reminds me of AM but maybe a tad bit better in all aspects and that's saying a lot!

With that being said, our problem isn't Eason right now!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, SouthernDawg

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #74924 by Buc
sflanagan21, sincerely mean thank you.

Never bothers me when comparisons are made to AM. Anyone that follows Georgia Football close enough knows what the kid from the Tampa area did for our program. AM proved that he did not have the Eason arm, or the Watson legs. What AM had was a pride in what he set out to do. AM is that kid that was "capable" of drawing up a "play in the dirt".

AM as I have mentioned many times, spent his "spare time" with quarterback coaches and camps to improve his game, and the game that surrounded him in Athens. AM knew there was more to playing the "position" than was being taught during his time in Athens. I believe it, saw it, will always appreciate it.

Jake as has been said is not coming to Athens to sit. I also believe that Jake is cut from the same cloth, just a larger version of AM. My mind, that is a damn good thing.

Until such time as we finish the "building process", there will be ups and downs. Folks my age are not willing to wait 15 or so years, many of us don't have that length of time. My bag of marbles are in the Head Coach Kirby Smart tenure.

Paying close attention to Smart and Company's recruiting, of course I am not privy to those we are not aware of being recruited . . . . do know this, our program "finally" has "direction". I am a great believer in "PATIENCE". Not 15 years of "PATIENCE".

Some of the current players not willing to "learn" . . . . say what AD5 said, along with SouthernDawg, and you . . . . play the "studs" like Brian Herrien, Mecole Hardman and so many others. Not a damn thing is learned on the bench. I believe that Kirby is going to start using the young men that want to play. Those that truly understand the game will be in Smart's corner . . . . Bet that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1, SouthernDawg, sflanagan21

More
7 years 6 months ago #74925 by ogredawg
Replied by ogredawg on topic Depth problems
Eason proved to me Saturday that he has the toughness. He stayed in the pocket and took some really good shots especially when he threw the int.

AM was the toughest i have seen in a while and I will go as far as to say Eason will compare with AM in that department. High praise to be in the same company as AM.

Eason is going to be good, real good. Fromm coming in will make him even better.

thecountrynation.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, yankeedawg1, growl, sflanagan21

More
7 years 6 months ago #74926 by Buc
ogredawg, must confess . . . . I borrowed some of the "toughness talk about Jacob Eason" from what you have said earlier.

Have mentioned that he did not come from the same caliber of high school football that many have played against on this board, #10 does have brassies.

What you think? Time to recognize that there is "still" an element of the previous group of coaches remaining in Athens?

Was mentioned often on Dawgs.com that "change" was needed. Maybe more than coaches . . . . ?

What the heck/hell . . . . Really thought that #73 was going to be all everything . . . . needs to get off of his ass and play SEC Football. Yes, he is a guard, but I do not see the "effort" that you and I talked about when he arrived in Athens. Am I wrong?

Beginning to see the "Bleeding Hearts" show their faces again on different sites. I am amused that they hide behind their keyboards . . . . come here and they have to face ogredawg and sflanagan21 . . . . :whistle: Couple of tough guys that understand "SEC Football, willing to kick some butt, when needed. I say that respectfully, both of you together facing off with the "Hearts" . . . . I spot them 50 points, and walk away with a "W". ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1, sflanagan21

More
Time to create page: 0.039 seconds