Forum

From Athens- Friday Thoughts

7 years 8 months ago #74177 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts
Much like most members and those on other sites . . . . This is how I feel about the quarterback (race, situation, whatever).

For the length of time that Greyson Lambert and Brice Ramsey have been involved with “college football”, one would think that the two of them could separate themselves and gain playing time when it comes to Jacob Eason.

Neither of the two have done that . . . . apparently.

Jacob Eason in the G Day Game checked down, swing passes, escaping the linebackers that the defense sent during the game. Really liked the fact that Kirby played the game a “bit aggressive”. Understand that the quarterbacks were not to be hit, also know what I saw on the replay of the game, have done that more than once.

Maybe it is me, I believe this group of offensive linemen are going to be head and shoulders above many that have played before them. Not just 2015, way before that.

More than one quarterback or running back has failed to reach heights that they were capable of not having an offensive line. We know what Sam wants in his offensive lineup, but I/We also believe that Pittman can and will make the most of what he has, personally, I think this group is willing to line up and face off with any defensive line.

Kirby will do what he believes is the best route for us to take. No doubt that Kirby and Company have a lot to think about . . . . 93,000 + FANS made that point.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1, SouthernDawg, growl, sflanagan21

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #74178 by sflanagan21
Replied by sflanagan21 on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts
Buc, I'm probably in the minority when it comes to not starting JE but I feel very optimistic about this years team and schedule. I just feel like it would be too much pressure put on JE to start him in game one and that could possibly cause us to lose a game that we should win. I could see him forcing a deep pass and getting picked by a safety and that pick could very easily cost us the game. I'm sure Smart/Chaney would game plan to try not put him in bad situations but just starting a true freshman QB is risky no matter how well you plan because you just don't know how he is gonna react to that kind of pressure. I just keep going back to where JE played his HS ball and the jump from that level to game one in the Dome against NC maybe too much for him to handle. Now Fromm on the other hand could start game one in the Dome against NC and I'd be all about that decision!

I hope sooner than later JE is our guy this year but I don't wanna see him starting in the NC game. Too much to lose to take that chance if ya ask me...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1

More
7 years 8 months ago #74179 by growl
Replied by growl on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts
I don't feel that JE is going to be any more prone to mistakes than either of the other two. If he were he would not still be in competition to start. Don't feel CKS would allow that to be the case. He should carry us just as easily as a deer in the headlights guy who has already proven he freezes up at the slightest bit of pressure . As for BR , maybe he'll improve with time but as for right now can't see it happening.

The sun shines on a different Dawg every day
The following user(s) said Thank You: thriller, Buc, sadlerdawg, yankeedawg1, sflanagan21

More
7 years 8 months ago #74180 by sflanagan21
Replied by sflanagan21 on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts
Hard to argue with ya Growl. I'm sure this decision would be much easier for CKS if we opened with Nicholls St instead of UNC. I was hearing that Ramsey was looking really good a couple of weeks ago but that he's back to him old self more so than not. We know what we're getting with Lambert and I'll take JE over Lambert anyday against any team!

I will say this, if Ramsey can't get it together and beat out Lambert in the next week then we may as well start Eason and take our lumps early and hope he becomes what most think he has the potential to become.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thriller

More
7 years 8 months ago #74181 by thriller
Replied by thriller on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts
This is not the National Championship year. Not enough depth across either line, and no matter which QB we start, I don't see us winning it all. THAT'S why I hope JE starts - we don't have a QB good enough to make redshirting him worthwhile, and a loss this year due to a boneheaded play won't kill the entire season. Let the kid take some lumps, eat some dirt, throw to a wrong jersey. THAT is how he'll learn, NOT holding a clip board.

I see 8-4 during the regular season. We'll lose to UNC, Ole Miss, Tennessee and Florida. But NEXT year, however, if we can start a BATTLE HARDENED QB . . . B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1, growl, sflanagan21

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #74182 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts
sflanagan21, since your arrival on Dawgs.com, have followed you closely. You have had some "scraps", nothing major just a meeting of two minds behind the "woodshed".

No doubt you understand the game, realize you also have some that are closely connected to UGA's football program. Running a business and coaching high school football requires a lot of time and "effort".

"Effort" takes me to something you said about Brice Ramsey . . . . Good days, bad days and in between days do not move a program forward. Whether it has been a lack of coaching or . . . . came from a system in high school that made it too difficult for him to "latch on".

Some on this board mentioned prior to Jacob Eason moving to Athens that he had not faced the competition in Washington high school football that players in Georgia face. This is where the rubber meets the road for me . . . . Eason came to campus and has worked hard. Not only in the film room, with Coach Chaney and the folks that put their hands in the dirt on the offense. If Eason is still being considered to start against UNC, says a lot to me about not only his talented arm, he played in a system in high school that differed from the system Brice Ramsey played in. Makes a difference, even if the competition is not the same in the two states.

Many times a "hot shot quarterback" (not being ugly) arrives to play college football and immediately after putting on the pads . . . . "footwork" comes into play. Fine tuning what was not learned in high school.

It will be what it will be. Do know this . . . . spent a lot of time over the weekend scouting UNC. Watching film, coach speak film. AP has UGA ranked at 18, UNC at 22. Not a huge spread between the two teams. Fedora is no different than Smart when it comes to loving the game. Both passionate and care about one thing . . . . winning.

The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1, sflanagan21

More
Time to create page: 0.034 seconds