Forum

I want the Dawgs to do as well as possible!

11 years 6 months ago #49905 by gillette
Does anyone know what's going on with our kicker(s)? How many times can a guy hit the goal post in one year? It's like going out and playing a round of golf and hitting 5 or 6 sprinkler heads around the green. It just doesn't happen very often and hardly ever.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #49909 by LimeyDawg
Replied by LimeyDawg on topic Re: I want the Dawgs to do as well as possible!
My guess is it's the old correction technique. They were missing wide, so coach says, "aim for the upright." They just never corrected past that.

"The freedom of individuals to verbally to oppose or to challenge police actions without thereby risking arrest is one of the principal characteristics by which we distinguish a free nation from a police state."

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #49910 by ogredawg
Good on Shawn Williams

ATHENS –

You figured somebody would say something eventually. Monday night, Georgia strong safety Shawn Williams obliged.

The Bulldogs’ senior and de facto defensive captain ripped into his unit for what he called “soft play” all season. And Williams wasn’t above calling out a few teammates, identifying a couple of linebackers he didn’t think were playing up to snuff.

“We’re playing too soft as a defense,” said Williams, talking to reporters after Monday night’s practice. “That goes for the D-line, linebackers, corners, safeties, everybody. We’re just not playing with the same attitude we were last year. I don’t know what it is.”

Asked if he had communicated his frustration to his defensive mates, Williams said he did during the Kentucky game and he plans to again this week as the Bulldogs prepare for Saturday’s game against No. 2 Florida in Jacksonville.

“After the first series [against Kentucky], I told everybody we played too soft,” said Williams, Georgia’s leading tackler with 51 stops. “They got the ball at the 20 and went 80 yards right up the middle. I came to the sideline and said ‘y’all are playing soft.’ It gets frustrating because I’m sitting here and I’m giving all I got and I feel like I’ve got some guys that are not. I feel we’ve got some guys that are in a whole different place.”

Asked what he thought needed to be done, Williams said, “I don’t know. I’m trying to see if I have to take somebody’s helmet off and slap them and say, ‘what’s going on’? We’re not playing with any emotion right now. Period.”

Willliams then got into specifics.

“Personally, if I was the coaches, I can’t tell them what to do, but I’d have Amarlo Herrera in the game more,” Williams said of Georgia’s starting Mike linebacker. “I wouldn’t bring him out. . . . I want to see Amarlo (Herrera) and (Alec) Ogletree in the game at linebacker; I don’t want to see anybody else at linebacker. I feel like they’re two guys that are going to go out and give you all they got, no matter if they mess up or do right. I feel like they’re going to get to the ball and tackle. That’s what we need.”

As it stands, those two are playing the most at Georgia’s inside linebacker positions. Seniors Mike Gillard and Christian Robinson split time with Herrera at the Mike. Herrera played less against Kentucky than he has in the previous six. He came in averaging 7.8 tackles per game. Versus the Wildcats he had three, tying his season low.

“I just feel like he’s better,” Williams said. “I don’t know what he’s doing that’s better than them, getting off blocks, getting around blocks. He just gets to the football, and that’s what we need, somebody who gets to the football and tackles.”

More than any specific individuals, Williams indicated it was attitude in general that has seen the Bulldogs plunge down the national defensive rankings. Heading into Saturday’s game against run-heavy Florida, Georgia is ranked 47th in total defense (367.43 yards per game), 72nd against the run (167.86) and 49th in scoring (24.14 ppg). They were top 23 in all those categories to end last season. Kentucky rushed for 206 of their 329 total yards in a 29-24 Georgia victory.

“Right now, Florida plays very physical and they’re going to come out and try to just manhandle you,” Williams said. “So I’m really looking forward to seeing what we do. Somebody’s gonna get punched in the mouth. It’s going to be us or them. Whoever gets punched in the mouth is going to have to decide, ‘what do we do now?’ You’re either going to give in or you’re going to fight back. Point blank that’s what we’ve got to do.”

Williams’ teammates – at least those available after Monday night’s late-finishing practice — concurred with his assessment.

“I understand where he’s coming from,” senior free safety Bacarri Rambo said. “He wants to win and he wants to be the best in whatever he does. I’m in the same boat with him. I see him as a leader and a captain of the defense. He just wants what’s best for the team and the defense. So if he feels like that I feel the same way. . . . That’s what we’re upset about, because we’re not playing the best we can play, not to the potential we have as a defense.”

Said Malcolm Mitchell, who played nearly half the season at cornerback before switching back to defense full time: “Yeah, we’ve got to amp it up. We’ve got to play harder.”

Williams was asked if he thought some players were worried too much about NFL and complacent because they’ve already proven themselves. Williams is among four Georgia starters that have been projected as first-round draft picks.

“I don’t know if it’s the NFL or worried about messing up or worried about a game down the road,” Williams said. “We’ve just got to do what we do and play physical football. And we’re not. That’s what you’ve got to do to win.”

thecountrynation.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
11 years 6 months ago #49911 by WoodstockDawg
Replied by WoodstockDawg on topic Re: I want the Dawgs to do as well as possible!
Ogre just read this...

Was about to post it...

Good to see some fire, and goes to the point that the defense seems to believe the press, and quit trying to prove things to folks.

This could create fire for the D, or could cause an implosion...

We will see

GO DAWGS!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlayton

More
11 years 6 months ago #49913 by DAWGtm
Maybe Shawn can tuck Murray into bed this week where he want have nightmares like he'd did before the SC game.

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #49914 by Buc
ogredawg, this old fart hit the sack before you posted this. Totally agree with what Williams had to say about Amarlo Herrera. When the players that were on probation returned, seems as if Amarlo was the forgotten step child. Read an interview with Amarlo Herrera and it was evident that he felt kicked to the curb. This is what hastens teams to implode.

One thing that really caught my eye in the interview were the words coming from Rambo. One of the returning players that let his teammates down big time. Garbage coming out of his mouth, have zero respect for him. Last man in on 90% of the tackles that he has anything to do with. Now I feel like Williams, don't like to name names, but if Rambo had never returned, this would be a much better team, just from the standpoint of truth. Cookies my ass, that is so 1960's.

#18's BS.
“I understand where he’s coming from,” senior free safety Bacarri Rambo said. “He wants to win and he wants to be the best in whatever he does. I’m in the same boat with him. I see him as a leader and a captain of the defense. He just wants what’s best for the team and the defense. So if he feels like that I feel the same way. . . . That’s what we’re upset about, because we’re not playing the best we can play, not to the potential we have as a defense.”

Edit:
Bradley gets it right . . .
blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-blog/2012/10/...gs_mark_bradley_blog

Edit 2: David Andrews had the following to say.
“I don’t think anyone believed we were an All-American offensive line yet,” Andrews said. “John (Theus) is a freshman, I’ve started limited games, ‘KG’ (Kenarious Gates) is playing a new position, so no one is claiming we’re the best line in the country or anything like that. We just didn’t give time for our skill players to make the plays (against South Carolina), and you can’t do that in this league. We just have to keep working.”

He we go again. Richt and some others want to talk about AM and his record setting night. Richt once again likes the flashy stuff, helps him keep the wolves away. The offensive line(s) problems can very easily be traced to Mark Richt and his preference when trying to recruit. 2013 is looking dimmer by the game. Loss to Florida would pretty much rule out a couple of players that we need so badly. Would not blame them, why play for Richt when there are Saban's and others in the SEC that understand line play.

More
Time to create page: 0.030 seconds