Forum

Excitement

17 years 1 week ago #4304 by RxCowboy
Replied by RxCowboy on topic Re:Excitement
How long has Munson been broadcasting, and does any one else find him a bit negative?

Seeing that play where Walker flattens the Tenn player on route to the end zone reminded be of another great college back, Earl Campbell. They were very similar.

GATA! Woof!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 years 1 week ago #4309 by kentdaddy
Replied by kentdaddy on topic Re:Excitement
Of course Munson is a little bit negative at times. It makes for great radio.

In '83 I think it was when Butler kicked that 60 yarder he said \"Well we'll have to kick it a hundred thousand miles!\" Then Butler hit it and I personally as a young man in suburban atlanta lost a small portion of my mind that day.

Munson is a little like Lou Holtz in that he makes the task seem impossible so when we actually achieve it we think it is a miracle. It is so much fun.

I am buying one of those C Crane fancy ass super AM radios so I can get games with no delay.

More
17 years 1 week ago #4311 by kentdaddy
Of course Munson is a little bit negative at times. It makes for great radio.

In '83 I think it was when Butler kicked that 60 yarder he said \"Well we'll have to kick it a hundred thousand miles!\" Then Butler hit it and I personally as a young man in suburban atlanta lost a small portion of my mind that day.

Munson is a little like Lou Holtz in that he makes the task seem impossible so when we actually achieve it we think it is a miracle. It is so much fun.

I am buying one of those C Crane fancy ass super AM radios so I can get games with no delay.

More
17 years 1 week ago #4323 by dapolla
Replied by dapolla on topic Re:Excitement
Kentdaddy, it was '84 against Clemson for the Butler 60-yarder. Munson was heard to exclaim, \"This is ungodly!\"

Larry always chastises himself for being negative at the end of the game, you'll notice. The famous Lindsay Scott call beginning with \"Run, Lindsay!\" ends with, \"You had given up, I had too. We were out of it and gone. Miracle!\"

Against Auburn in 2002 (my personal favorite Munson call), the famous bit of 70-X takeoff is \"Touchdown! My God, a touchdown!\" Before Greene threw Michael Johnson the pass on 4th-and-15, however, Munson had said, \"Boy, we've had some shots, haven't we?\" as if conceding the victory to Auburn.

After the incredible 64-yard drive against Tech last year, Munson chastises himself, saying, \"I'm the one who always says you dont' ever give up.\" And let's not forget Larry's steadfast belief in Old Lady Luck. It's his optimism that causes him to be so disappointed and so sure we're going to lose, paradoxically. He loves those comeback wins, those tight last-second scores, because they bring out the best in him. Let's face it, those are the best calls -- the last-second wins against Auburn, Lindsay Scott's TD in 1980, Butler's kick against Clemson, all of the last-second John Kasay field goals, those incredible drives David Greene made against Tennessee, Auburn and Alabama, the comeback against Tech...let's face it, when it's a blowout Larry's lousy.

The only exception was the blowout win against Tech in '02 when we had a touchdown called back in the second quarter. We were up by twenty or thirty at the beginning of the second half and Larry just kept insisting that Tech could get back in it, because of that touchdown we had called back. That's classic.

Red and Black, Win or Lose

• dapolla
  • dapolla's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
17 years 1 week ago #4324 by dapolla
Replied by dapolla on topic Re:Excitement
By the way, RxCowboy, Larry began broadcasting for the Dawgs in 1966, the year Vince Dooley won his first SEC Championship. Prior to that he had broadcast football games for Vanderbilt.

Red and Black, Win or Lose

• dapolla
  • dapolla's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
17 years 1 week ago #4326 by kentdaddy
And in '97 when we beat the gators we were up 37-17 and Larry kept talking about how they were still in it.

The other guy was give Larry shit and saying it was over because they only hads 2:00 lef tin the game or something like that. I like Larrys mildly pessimistic slant. It mirrors my own self preservation system when it comes to football.

More
Time to create page: 0.031 seconds