Forum

A Teensy Soapbox

17 years 4 months ago #2645 by dawgs511
Replied by dawgs511 on topic Re: A Teensy Soapbox

i too cant beleive that they are letting him play. tom glavine is nothing but a money hogging jerk. he left atlanta for 35$ mil. from the mets, when we offered him 32$ mil. now, he goes and takes another contract with the mets. shows how much of a family man he is.

To be fair, one factor that influenced his decision was the fact that the Braves never made an offer. One can't accept what's not on the table.

COME ON BACK, TED! WE NEED THE PAYROLL!!!!

yea, but he knew that they were interested in him. all he has to do is look at their website. im sure his agent did that, but the agent is more interested in making more money from the 10% of glavines contract.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• dawgs511
  • Visitor
17 years 4 months ago #2646 by UGAChemDawg
Replied by UGAChemDawg on topic Re: A Teensy Soapbox
Why is Ty Cobb a choice? Because he was an overt racist?

More
17 years 4 months ago #2647 by dapolla
Replied by dapolla on topic Re: A Teensy Soapbox
Not just an overt racist; he once stomped a guy with no hands nearly to death for calling him half-black at a baseball game. The dude had NO HANDS. Fantastic ballplayer; in my opinion he and Pete Rose are the best ever. Awful, terrible, rotted-out person.

Red and Black, Win or Lose

• dapolla
  • dapolla's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
17 years 4 months ago #2648 by kentdaddy
Replied by kentdaddy on topic Re: A Teensy Soapbox
Cobb is from an era where pretty much everyone was either a racist a sexist or both. I am sure stories like that exist for a ton more players but we just haven't heard them because they did not have 4000 hits. Stomping a man for calling him half black is too much I agree, but if he called me half Danish I would have stomped him too. Those darned Danes are hell bent on world domination.

More
17 years 4 months ago #2671 by dapolla
Replied by dapolla on topic Re: A Teensy Soapbox
Well, we all have our druthers. The inclination is to support Cobb because he's from Georgia, but I can't do that when it makes me sick to my stomach to think about him.

Coincidentally, I'm getting that way about Odell Thurman too...maybe for Xmas someone could give him the ability to stay the hell out of trouble?

Red and Black, Win or Lose

• dapolla
  • dapolla's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
17 years 4 months ago #2674 by kentdaddy
Replied by kentdaddy on topic Re: A Teensy Soapbox
We need to hook Odell up with a good bail bondsman. Maybe we can chip in and get him a gift certificate or something for bail.

I take all the stories about Cobb in context. Almost everyone back then was an overt or atleast complicit racist. Very few people stood up and said hey this is wrong. Hell, women could not even vote back then. It does seem to be universally agreed upon that Cobb was a lousy human being, but he is from GA so he is our lousy human being... Like a mean Billy Carter.

My grandmother was a massive racist until the day she died. That was how she was raised in eastern Tennessee ( I was born in GA and got past the short comings of my ancestors ). She hated Italian people down here in florida because she thought they were black. It is a whole different level of ignorance but you cannot change it. You only hope with successive generations it gets better.

Current issues in the African American community that get a ton of media coverage do not help. I realize some may take umbrage to that comment but I am willing to discuss my point until Admin shuts us down for being OT.

More
Time to create page: 0.033 seconds