Forum

Coaching Rumors......

17 years 5 months ago #2634 by UnderDog37
Replied by UnderDog37 on topic Re: Coaching Rumors......
Is he a good coach? The defense wasn't that good down there, so I dunno if he can manage the whole squad into much better than 6-6 seasons in the forseeable future. I would hope that schools that are considering a coach wouldn't let the black-white thing become an issue, and hire on the merits of the man's character and ability.....

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• UnderDog37
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
17 years 5 months ago #2637 by kentdaddy
Replied by kentdaddy on topic Re: Coaching Rumors......
I agree. it should no longer matter to anyone what color a coach is. Croom and Willingham won't be employed forever if they don't win a few games. Even doormat programs have standards.

I hope Miami turns it around and goes 7-5 for the next 50 years. I think hiring someone from the inside is a mistake because the team lacked discipline last year and now that is supposed to change. The thug mentality needs to change. I would be ashamed if I were part of the university for the image that it has. It is a total disgrace.

More
17 years 5 months ago #2640 by UnderDog37
Replied by UnderDog37 on topic Re: Coaching Rumors......
The race issue with coaches still goes on at Alabama, though....Mal Moore was apparently sent a list of prospective black coaching candidates, and he never responded once to that fax.....my guess is that the paper ended up in the circular file, which is a shame if that is true.

• UnderDog37
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
17 years 5 months ago #2649 by kentdaddy
Mr dapolla mentioned we need more black coaches and I was wonderinng what he thought was a good number precentage wise? African Americans make up 18% of the population as awhole. Would 18% of all coaching positions be good?

More
17 years 5 months ago #2650 by GatorinGA
Replied by GatorinGA on topic Re: Coaching Rumors......

Mr dapolla mentioned we need more black coaches and I was wonderinng what he thought was a good number precentage wise? African Americans make up 18% of the population as awhole. Would 18% of all coaching positions be good?

Your 18% figures are accurate and I have always stated that about quotas as well (should be a percentage of the population), however, the percentage of black people in the game of football is far more than 50%.

I do not believe in quotas but it is a good indicator of how "fair" a system is treating a race of people ... if they are otherwise qualified.
I think it is fair to say that black candidates are more than qualified as their overall experience in the game is greater than for whites.

As much as I'd hate to see him leave, I think Charlie Strong will be offered a coaching job somewhere.

More
17 years 5 months ago #2652 by kentdaddy
Be careful there gatoringa. You do not want any of your NE Georgia neighbors knowing that you are one of those affirmative action lovin' Italians! My mothers side of the family is from that area and it is not the center of forward thinking in America. If I were you I wouldn't even say I was Italian. Say you played baseball and you are from Cuba. They'll love you then.

Actually it is likely just a matter of time before someone attacks affirmative action from a different. With African Americans ( heretofor abbreviated AA because I get tired of typing ) making up 18% of the population but more than 50% of scholarship athletes a good argument could be made that they are over represented. Then someone will say it is based on ability or merit and we get back to the same argument used against AAs for many years in academics and other fields.

If you extend quotas to that end then every basketball team will have 7 white guys, 2 black guys, one asian guy and 2 hispanic guys. That is the danger of quotas. If applied everywhere it could be a mess.

I hope Strong gets a shot somewhere. He seems to be a good coach.

More
Time to create page: 0.038 seconds