Forum

Matthew Stafford

17 years 6 months ago #1223 by dapolla
Replied by dapolla on topic Re: Matthew Stafford
The blame has got to fall on the wide receivers coach and on Neil Callaway, but mostly on Richt himself. The guy goes out and recruits the top QB in the nation three years running -- well, Blake Barnes was only the #3 QB in the nation, but whatever -- so that we have a built-in quarterback controversy, but can't seem to recruit a receiver to save his life. He lets Florida, who are going to a run-oriented offense as is clear by the FUTURE HALL OF FAMER Tim Tebow, pick up Percy Harvin. He converts Mikey Henderson to WR in spring practice because of his speed and good hands and then NEVER PLAYS HIM IN THAT POSITION.

It's a snafu this year. Our coaching staff is either overthinking or underthinking, I'm not sure which. But it's the coaching. That much is painfully obvious.

Red and Black, Win or Lose

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 years 6 months ago #1224 by RedDawg
Replied by RedDawg on topic Re: Matthew Stafford
Excellent point dapolla. Why arent we playing Mikey Henderson as WR? A great question there..

More
17 years 6 months ago #1225 by UnderDog37
Replied by UnderDog37 on topic Re: Matthew Stafford
Stafford will be OK. He will be the man for the rest of the year, sink or swim, and he will either make Coach look like a genius if he gets the job done, or a goat if he doesn't. Stafford just needs to learn when to use a soft touch, and when to throw a fastball. All that wil come with experience. We are pretty much in the same boat as UT was last year, with a senior starter, and the future QB waiting. Hopefully, the record won't be the same as UT was last year, but the team will be better in the long run if the coaching staff will stick with one starter.

• UnderDog37
  • Visitor
17 years 6 months ago #1232 by jacketexterminator24
Replied by jacketexterminator24 on topic Re: Matthew Stafford
I know that it doesn't mean a thing now, but Richt is actually starting to get some receivers going. We got two pretty good guys coming in next year, and a great one coming in for 2008. Also, we get sean bailey back next year. The future is looking somewhat bright, but for right now, we just don't have much. Also, why is Richt playing conservative when we are behind? THROW THE BALL DOWNFIELD! If I see none more screen pass get blown up, I'm gonna cry! GEEZ! If we are down, it can't hurt to throw the ball to a receiver downfield. And if our receivers can't catch the ball, throw it to Brannan Sutherland. He's the only playing worth anything right now on offense.

• jacketexterminator24
  • Visitor
17 years 6 months ago #1242 by dapolla
Replied by dapolla on topic Re: Matthew Stafford
I hate the screen pass. Florida has used it to beat us every year I've watched it...2004 was the only year the screen didn't work...well and 2005, the game we would have won had Richt let JoeT pass...but enough.

Every time we run a screen, we get destroyed. Every time an opponent uses it, the chains move. I'd like to see that play made illegal. As my brother would say, Jeez Beasties!

Red and Black, Win or Lose

More
17 years 6 months ago #1244 by UnderDog37
Replied by UnderDog37 on topic Re: Matthew Stafford
Screen passes work fine as long as the blocking is there. They have worked for us in the past, but we have problems blocking for anything lately. However, I dont think UF will have to use a screen against us this year.

• UnderDog37
  • Visitor
Time to create page: 0.032 seconds