Forum

Matthew Stafford

17 years 6 months ago #1145 by wlayton
Matthew Stafford was created by wlayton
I'm a die hard Dawg fan but MAN, I'm so sick and tired of our receivers dropping Stafford's passes. Milner's TD drop and Bryant's 1st down drop, that hit him PERFECTLY, late in the game when we could have put the game away AGAIN, is just unbelievable !! Either of those 2 drops, if caught, probably wins us the game. I just hope Stafford isn't second guessing his coming to UGA because our receivers aren't good enough to catch his passes. Like Richt said a couple of weeks ago, his 5'9" receivers in high school didn't have any problems catching his passes. UGA is a BIG time program and should have BIG TIME receivers. I'm sure Stafford is quietly thinking what in the world is going on with these drops. I thought MS played a good game yesterday, drove us down and put us in position to win the game a couple of times........then 2 huge drops, just hope Stafford doesn't regret coming to UGA when he could have gone to Texas where their receivers catch the ball. Sorry, just frustrated, had to vent.

PVBDAWG

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• wlayton
  • Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
17 years 6 months ago #1159 by UGAChemDawg
Replied by UGAChemDawg on topic Re: Matthew Stafford
When Stafford made his decision to come to Georgia, it was still up in the air as to whether or not Vince Young would go to the NFL. Had Vince stayed at Texas, Stafford probably would have been red-shirted. He thought (rightly) that if he had come to Georgia, he would get more playing time as a freshman. Plus, Richt probably wooed him with the spread offense and tales of the Heisman winners that he's groomed. He probably regrets not going to Texas now, as well he should.

More
17 years 6 months ago #1164 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Re: Matthew Stafford
I'm thrilled MS is at UGA. If he had LSU, UT or UF's wide receivers, he would be touted as the next Elway (actually does throw and resemble the way Elway played). Did hear we got 2 commits from 2 really good wideouts recently. Plus redshirt freshman TE Ward and Bailey will be back next year along with MoMass.

PVBDAWG

• wlayton
  • Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
17 years 6 months ago #1182 by NC_Dawg
Replied by NC_Dawg on topic Re: Matthew Stafford
"dropped passes", has been an issue at UGA for some time. Historically speaking, I can recall similar agnst expressed toward DG and DJ. Now I'm no football guru, but perhaps it has something to do with the very foundation of SEC football. I'm referring to "3 yards and a cloud of dust", "wishbone", "toss-sweep"...the SEC was built on the run and coaches like TT still believe that it must be a fundamental component to win the SEC.

While UGA has had some memorable QB's and some sensational QB to WR catches, we are largely remembered for head to head, smash mouth, up the gut running. Being old school myself, I prefer a heavy dose of run attach with passing mixed in. FWIW: I believe that CMR has and is attempting to convert UGA from a mostly run oriented to a mostly pass oriented offense. This can be easily seen in CMR's persistence to pass on 3rd and short when the running game is clicking. Unfortunately, we've yet to coordinate the complete package of QB and WR. Given the talent we currently have at QB, the rising and returning talent at WR, notwithstanding those being recruited, I expect the transition to be complete in a season or two.

Of course, there are some that would ask, why has it taken CMR this long. Well, would you toss a Greene or Shockley out? Nope, you recruit what and where you can and work with the talent you have. In the past, how many times did you wish for DG or DJ to hit their receivers in stride? How many times did they underthrow? Well, MS has hit them in stride and has overthrown his receivers! Much to my personal preference, we will get there............

As for the comment regarding MS being wooed. Nope, in fact there was a recent article in the ABH about that very thing. If anything, CMR is a man of his word and it goes against his personality. Likewise, MS is wise enough to realize that this wasn't supposed to be "his" year. If you want to see how dogged CMR is about his word, one need only look at the playing time of JTIII in the UT and VU game. JTIII was the starter and CMR stayed with him, to the point that it perhaps cost us the game!

All that being said, MS is here because this is where he wanted to play! He has commented numerous times about the coaches, staff, facilities, campus AND fans! Like JTIII and JC, MS is all Dawg!!!!

GO DAWGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"My advice to you is to start drinking heavily." - Bluto

More
17 years 6 months ago #1216 by paramedic06997
Replied by paramedic06997 on topic Re: Matthew Stafford
:lol: What is the deal with Ga recievers? We really have not had a great one. We still rely on being conservative with defense. Now we are rebuilding I hope, but RB what? Yes, we had Gibson and Brown. Brown is the only one playing good ball right now. Is that contributed to the NFL coaches? Pope is one who I never seen catch a ball in stride. (Why?) Ever since the days of Greene we have sat and watched pass after pass dropped by Ga recievers. And whoever could catch a pass was keyed on by opponents defense. We saw Brown knocked out by Auburn because of this. And from who was excited about AJ Bryant going to Ga, what happened to this ath.?

• paramedic06997
  • Visitor
17 years 6 months ago #1220 by RedDawg
Replied by RedDawg on topic Re: Matthew Stafford
I hear alot of people talk about Stafford throwing the ball too hard. This is rediculous. I am a fan of Staffords and believe he is our future in this team. My motto, if you touch the ball you catch the ball. You cant blame any of the QB's for the dropped passes.

More
Time to create page: 0.029 seconds