Forum

Let's take the lead . . . again

8 years 5 months ago #70705 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic Let's take the lead . . . again
Okay... if he's not trolling, then it is absolutely true that marginal fans like him that look back at things that happened over a decade ago are a big part of the problem.

His record well into his second decade has fallen way off of his 2000-2007 mark, and it's foolish to look back at the influence of what happened from 2000-2005 to gauge today's situation.

In 2007, the U down in Miami was still dominating college football, and the defending national champ Ohio State was still coached by Jim Tressel. Neither of those things is true any longer, so I'm not really interested in using data from that far back to judge NCAA football today.

We are in the second longest drought without an SEC championship in the
entire history of the program, and I mentioned a lot of other facts that reflect
negatively on our program since 2007.

"nobody here denies his recruiting ability" - I'm afraid that I do deny his recruiting
ability. If he was all he was cracked up to be as a recruiter, we would have an offensive line that didn't get shoved around by a lot more teams than just 'Bama, we would have a QB, and we might have more than 1 experienced WR.

He's good at recruiting guys with stars by their name, but he doesn't understand
balance and team need. Maybe I'm arguing semantics, but that is part of recruiting
in my opinion.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #70706 by thriller
Replied by thriller on topic Let's take the lead . . . again
I stand corrected, scooby. Some people in here DO question his recruiting ability. My statement was more to the point that lack of talent couldn't have been an excuse, with all that talent in Athens.

I do not speak for everyone at Dawgs.com.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scooby

• thriller
  • Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 5 months ago #70707 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Let's take the lead . . . again
Wartdawg said . . . .

He's good at recruiting guys with stars by their name, but he doesn't understand
balance and team need. Maybe I'm arguing semantics, but that is part of recruiting
in my opinion.

Solid Wartdawg.

More
8 years 5 months ago #70708 by averagedawg
Replied by averagedawg on topic Let's take the lead . . . again
College football is a world of what have you done lately. Like it or not.
What he did ten years ago means absolutely nothing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, scooby

More
8 years 5 months ago #70709 by dawgs_fans_dad
Replied by dawgs_fans_dad on topic Let's take the lead . . . again
"Lies, damn lies and statistics." Scooby starts at 2001. Lots of folks here start at 2007 because that seems to have been kind of a break between Old Richt and New Richt. Some good, some bad. Not very good since 2007 even if your only goal is a Division Championship. Fine if all you want is a "nice" program. Not elite by any stretch.

2007 Preseason 13 Final 2
Comments: Terrible loss to USCe, Didn't win division.

2008 Preseason 1 Final 13
Comments: Butt-kickings by 'bama and Florida. Dreadful second half against the HS Offense from North Ave. Didn't win the division.

2009 Preseason 13 Final Received Votes
Comments: Butt-kickings by Tennessee and Florida. Lost to Kentucky. Didn't win the division.

2010 Preseason 23 Final Not ranked
Comments: Too many bad losses to list except for UCF. Didn't win division.

2011 Preseason 19 Final 19
Comments: Won 10 straight after starting 0-2. "Big stage" losses:to Boise, wiped out in SECCG, lost bowl game.

2012 Preseason 6 Final 5T
Comments: Crushed by USCe. "Valiant effort" in the SECCG. Still lost and got absolutely trucked by Alabama's ground game. Still, good season.

2013 Preseason 5 Final Received Votes
Comments: Lost to Mizzou at home, lost to Vandy, Miracle at Jordan-Hare. Dreadful Gator Bowl vs Nebraska. Nice W vs LSU. Didn't win division.

2014 Preseason 12 Final 9
Comments:3 gut-wrenching losses-USCe, Florida and Tech. Won Belk Bowl. Didn't win division.

2015 Preseason 9 (HEAVY SEC East favorites) Current: Not Ranked
Comments: No comment. :whistle:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, DAWGtm, growl, scooby

More
8 years 5 months ago #70711 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic Let's take the lead . . . again
Thriller... I wasn't trying to blast what you were saying, but Mark Richt's recruiting stats are misleading.

He goes into classes that are very deep at some positions and gets some 4 and 5 star recruits at those deep positions even if we don't really have a serious need at those spots. Then he ignores some positions where we do have needs, and pretty much everyone agrees he often puts a lot more emphasis on skill positions instead of the lines (where games are won and lost in the SEC)

He ends up with great classes if you are looking at the average numbers of stars by the names of the kids he recruits, but year after year after year we sit here with some glaring holes on our team.

All you have to do is look at this years team. After several years of "great recruiting classes", we have no QB, ONE WR with any experience, and middlin' talent on our O-line.

We had our #1 RB go down, our #2 break his hand, and this is what Richt says about the much heralded AJ Turman;

"But what about Turman?

“A.J.’s doing really pretty good,” Richt said. “He’s healthy, he’s been working really hard. And he’s been giving us a pretty good look on the scout team lately.”.

Seems to me he's going to waste some of his eligibility.

So there is something definitely wrong with our recruiting. Either Richt just picks kids whose mommies want them playing for a good man without any concern for team need, or he constantly misses on all of this great talent he recruits.

Either way it's a recruiting issue, and no way a consistent "great recruiter" like he is supposed to be would have these issues year after year.

Something doesn't add up.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: growl

More
Time to create page: 0.056 seconds