Forum

From Athens- Friday Thoughs

8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #68416 by yankeedawg1
From Athens- Friday Thoughs was created by yankeedawg1
Good Morning All,

We have enjoyed another quite week in the Classic City….a very good thing….. Edit ..Late update..

Noise on the recruiting front… Charlie Worner is a Dawg….. welcome…. Big smiles on Munson,Lewis and Erk faces.

Great to have a Worner playing between the Hedges again…..

This week’s Blue Plate Special---- WWAWWAG…QBTv3.0….HFHE

Where we are…where we are going

As I have stated I am a newbie compared to a large number of our board members. But IMHO we
have done a major turnaround in a very short time. The type of players we are recruiting and those who are interested in playing in Athens.

We are recruiting with a purpose to fill a need with the best available talent not fearing any of the other colleges who are recruiting the same player.

With somewhat amazing speed with have put together a group of recruiting coaches second to none. We have also given the logistical support people to these coaches who have also done great work on not letting any recruit to be “forgotten”

So were we are.. we have worked very hard to perfect our recruiting…results are showing and will continue as the quality and experience of our depth grows.

Were we are going…… I have read in several places that the heads are talking about with the addition of our project 2016 class we are putting together a NFL type from 7. This group is being coached by a well respected DL coach with solid NFL experience.

Much has been said about what our “O” will aspire to once JE arrives and learns the SEC game….. Those who know…defenses win championships….. Having CBS working the “O” we also will have the look and feel of a NFL offense….. so I see us trending to become the 33rd team in the NFL…….

I hear the choir…we always have had talent but we don’t coach it correctly……I have posted that we may have had talent but did not have the correct position mix of talent… I have heard we have talent but… our OL is weak or our DL is soft our we have small DB’s… our we lack depth….. having talent is but a piece of said puzzle….. yes duffus coaching does not help..fact

Quarterback Thingy v3.0

Thriller and others who have an uneasy feeling going into fall camp

Without a named a starter truly understand….however in stepping back

And taking a deep breath…just suppose that the competition is legit….

That includes GL…. In my mind it is not that we don’t have talent at the

position ..the question is who’s talent can provide us the best offense
I hear that GL couldn’t even start at his old school…..might it be
possible That could change by surrounding him with better players and a
an playbook that would use his strengths better? I hear a voice saying
we are just one play from having to starting our backup…..

Half Full…Half Empty

We have had several discussions on this board about the status of our

Football programs “glass”

I offer the following:

Dear optimist,Pessimist and Realist.

While you guys were busy arguing about the glass of water, I drank it!

Sincerely, the Opportunist……

This is the first of two words I want to use when speaking about this
Year’s football team…. Opportunist…and the second is…relentless……

Win every play….offense..defense…special teams…… never take a play
Off…… give away nothing…..rise up and play ole man football….

……our wait is much shorter now….fall camp starts a

Week from Tuesday……much will happen in four short weeks until KO

Pause and give thanks

Have a great weekend and a safe week

As always “Go Dawgs”!!!

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, thriller, Buc, growl, Dawg With Style

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 9 months ago #68418 by growl
Replied by growl on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughs
Man it is great to get back into the swing of things again.

The sun shines on a different Dawg every day

More
8 years 9 months ago #68419 by ogredawg
Replied by ogredawg on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughs
Heard it all 4 years ago about our recruiting. What ever happened to the "Dream Team" and all the championships it was supposed to bring us?

Every thing looks good on paper until it gets to the field of play. Then stoopid rears it's head once again. Talk is cheap and this coaching staff has to make it happen.

Tired of hearing how great they are and all the NFL experience they have and how great they are at recruiting great players. Now win a SEC championship and we will talk about how great they are...IMHO

thecountrynation.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, thriller, Buc, sadlerdawg, growl

More
8 years 9 months ago #68420 by thriller
Replied by thriller on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughs
It's possible that Greyson Lambert is all that AND the proverbial bag of chips. If that's true, then Virginia is about to have a National Championship season with a Heisman Trophy at the helm, because the QB competition up there this spring "wasn't even close". And they both had the same OL protecting them, unless their backup new starter borrowed one from somewhere.

Nevertheless, yd1, you make GREAT, INTELLIGENT points. I always look forward to Friday and your weekly assessments! Please keep it up, sir!

I hate to say this, but I'm not even as concerned about "stoopid" as I am about "quit". Even the great Nick Saban has pulled a "stoopid" before, attempting a field goal with nothing but big slow guys on the field, with a kicker who hadn't hit all day, from out close to the mid-field stripe.

No, I'm more concerned that we always seem to quit. Examples? The Arkansas game last year was telling. We dominated them for 1/2 of a football game. Then we got beat. Arkansas just dug themselves a hole too deep to get out of. Another example? Tennessee game. We had the chance to put our boot on their neck. What did we do? Turned the game right back over to them. We quit crushing their morale. Do that this year, and they'll win. Another? GT game. Sure, we smothered it with a heaping helping of "stoopid", but even with the little squib kick, all we had to do was stop a running team that had less than a minute to save themselves.

And while "stoopid" sure had a part to play against USCe, it didn't have to even be in the mix. This was another game that we should have DOMINATED - not even been CLOSE. But we just seem to try only hard enough to be in the game, allowing Mr. "Stoopid" to assert himself at just the wrong time.

And one more example, and then I'll "quit". The Florida game had nothing at all to do with "stoopid". It was just plain, old fashioned "quit". We quit having the determination to demolish the hopes and dreams of our most hated opponent. We quit tackling. We quit making adjustments. We quit running, honestly. Do that this year, only ONE time, and that's an automatic "L" on our record.

But even if we don't quit even ONCE, we can still lose it all. QB mishandles a snap and it's 6 in the wrong direction. QB forgets which side the RB is going to and the ball hits the ground and all of our hard work is for NOTHING. QB thinks he's Dan Marino and tries to thread a needle in triple coverage (as BR did a few times in the "Belk Bowl") and we'll make a repeat appearance in the "Belk". QB has man coverage and throws to the outside shoulder, but that's where the freaking safety is, and a TD becomes the other teams ball at the 20, just like when UVa played GT last year, in a blow out.

It's entirely possible that we have 5 future All Pro quarterbacks on our roster, and our coaches just can't pick one (like a kid in a candy store). But given the history of our program, over more than just the current regime, I am not optimistic.

:(
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1

More
8 years 9 months ago #68421 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughs
Thanks Thriller you also state and develop excellent

Points to consider. Your word quit covers and address the issue of coaches not having the team ready to play or not playing the entire game

Both areas I believe we will see a different approach
Thanks to S & C Coach

Ogredawg understand your show me..wait and see
Stance......snake bites tend to do that

However, your example of the Dream Team falling flat
Addresses what I spoke about recruiting changes

The Dream Team was all flash....and glitter.....unlike
What we are seeing from NC,JT,BK,GP,MM. Et Al

True it is all talk now.....without the talk there would be
Many blank pages....unemployed reporters. Well that might not be all that bad.....enjoy the weekend

Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, thriller

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #68423 by ogredawg
Replied by ogredawg on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughs
taking your foot of the gas and having a coach who does not have that killer attitude to put a team away, and let them get back into the game is a form of quit and is just plain stoopid if ya ask me....IMHO...

thecountrynation.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: thriller, Dawg With Style

More
Time to create page: 0.034 seconds